Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM

158 posts, read 526,170 times

Advertisements

We are looking to hire an agent. In the past when we have ran ads we have only received responses from unlicensed folks that couldn't comprehend the term "commission only" or "independent contractor" or "Must have NYS Real Estate Salesperson License"

Has anyone had any luck with a website for hiring? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM

9,940 posts, read 23,304,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobble View Post
We are looking to hire an agent. In the past when we have ran ads we have only received responses from unlicensed folks that couldn't comprehend the term "commission only" or "independent contractor" or "Must have NYS Real Estate Salesperson License"

Has anyone had any luck with a website for hiring? Thanks!
How about getting a list of licensed agents from your local MLS and sending them a well written, compelling letter why they should join your company? Or if you can get their email addresses, use email and/or snail mail.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 PM

8,553 posts, read 14,182,094 times
I'm thinking you could get a list from the state licensing authority. I know I've had many discussions with my broker about how to grow our office so I'll be interested to hear what people say. As far as I see it though you can go two routes:
  1. Woo established agents to your office - invite some successful local agents out to lunch or coffee (1-on-1 not in a group ). Sending a letter or email to introduce yourself as already suggested is a good idea if you don't already have a personal relationship with them. Once you have them in front of you tell them how great it is to work in your office. I know in my local this is TOUGH because agents rarely change offices here.
  2. Target newly licensed agents - I'd bet there's a service out there (or perhaps you can get this through your licensing board) which will send you a list on a regular basis of agents who have just passed the licensing exam. Send them a letter saying what's so great about your office and invite them to meet with you.
Looking forward to reading other responses.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,834,180 times
I get recruiting calls and emails all the time. It is common around this area. I personally think it is unprofessional but it is a widely accepted practice.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,382,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I get recruiting calls and emails all the time. It is common around this area. I personally think it is unprofessional but it is a widely accepted practice.
Ya know, I am a broker-owner, and I could not agree with you more. I hate recruiting and the pain it can cause. Unfortunately, I have attempted to recruit simply by office leadership. It doesn't work.

A reasonable and genuine invitation to join my firm is a compliment. I work hard to make certain that it is. I am overly cautious to be certain not to offend.

I think you are correct if you are getting SAE (summa alpha everybody) invitations, but if you get a few certain invitations, consider them as a compliment. Heck you might even answer a few and then you will know if you have the best deal in town or not.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:43 PM

43,639 posts, read 77,925,101 times
I get 5 or 6 postcards a month as well as a lot of spam email.

Fail. And, Epic Fail.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I get 5 or 6 postcards a month as well as a lot of spam email.

Fail. And, Epic Fail.
I get form letters all the time as well. There's a Keller Williams office opening in town soon and the owner called to recruit me. Frankly, I hate getting unsolicited calls and junk mail. If I received a personal note in the mail though, I would view it differently.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,834,180 times
IF I really thought they were truly interested in ME, it might be a different thing. The fact is that they are just looking to add warm bodies to the roster. I'm not a major producer so recruiting me just doesn't make sense unless it's just to build overall agent numbers. Besides, I've been a recruiter in a previous career and I know BS when I hear it. I actually received 2 identical calls from the same Remax guy within a few days of each other--he must have lost track of where he was on his call list!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,382,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I get form letters all the time as well. There's a Keller Williams office opening in town soon and the owner called to recruit me. Frankly, I hate getting unsolicited calls and junk mail. If I received a personal note in the mail though, I would view it differently.
Hey, Mike... I am a RE/MAX Broker-Owner. Just FYI, we have two offices in town. For some reason, last year, they gained 36million in new business at one with new recruits, but 18mil was with one agent and they lost 15 agents taking 18mill with them. At the other office, their top-producing broker merged her 10mil (former RE/MAX tp by the way) with another former RE/MAX affiliate and together they took 18 million and turned it into 13 million.

My point.... watch slick recruiting programs. There is one thing for certain, KW has perfected recruiting, they can't retain however.

BTW: I am not laughing at the numbers. 18 million, 13 million, 8 million etc.... Nice numbers...

Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Hey, Mike... I am a RE/MAX Broker-Owner. Just FYI, we have two offices in town. For some reason, last year, they gained 36million in new business at one with new recruits, but 18mil was with one agent and they lost 15 agents taking 18mill with them. At the other office, their top-producing broker merged her 10mil (former RE/MAX tp by the way) with another former RE/MAX affiliate and together they took 18 million and turned it into 13 million.

My point.... watch slick recruiting programs. There is one thing for certain, KW has perfected recruiting, they can't retain however.

BTW: I am not laughing at the numbers. 18 million, 13 million, 8 million etc.... Nice numbers...
The whole Keller Williams thing is not for me. The whole setup sounds like a pyramid scheme to me. I mean how can this guy stay in business giving the splits he told me and on top of that anyone I bring into the office I get a percent of their commissions for life as well. It seems to leave nothing for the office. How does he pay rent? He'd have to have 300 quality agents in the office just to make a penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals