Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,143,981 times

Advertisements

Please share your views.
Do you invite colleagues to your personal social events when other guests include members of your sphere?

I'm looking for a wise perspective and detailed boundaries.
Do you think it's okay for a Realtor colleague, invited to your home, to pass out business cards to the other guests? Is it okay for a colleague to pursue social connections with your guests?

Do you consider other Realtors colleagues or competition?

I appreciate all opinions and views.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 09:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times
Gracious guests, regardless of their profession, do not solicit other guests for business, at private social events.

Every community has 501 (3) (c) organizations, who welcome event sponsorship.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,501,398 times
I'm with MAM. Who solicits business when invited to a personal social event? I'd have a cow if someone tried to hand out a business card at a wedding or dinner party. If you want to have boundaries, know when you need to work and when not to work.

All agents are competition, but I am not in la-la land. I can't possibly, as one person, close every single real estate transaction in my city. If you like them, invite them as a friend. If they are your friend, they will know the difference and not hand out cards.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,916,756 times
It's really funny that you brought up this topic, because I'm having a get together this weekend and have invited some friends, some neighbors, some past clients and a couple of agents from my office that I'm friends with, too. One of them jokingly said he's gonna wear his "agency name" brand shirt, jacket & have business cards on hand. I know he won't but it was funny that he thought about who would be there and how he would respond. I am fortunate to work in an office with many great agents who technically are "competition" but also are my friends. I don't think any of us would infringe on another agent's client in any kind of setting, let alone a social event that we'd been invited to.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,850,928 times
Gee, most of my friends (that are agents) DON'T want the guests to know they are agents, LOL!! They want to be able to let their haird down and have fun. Kind of like the Dr. at a party that gets cornered to talk about little johnnies skin ailment... don't want to talk shop!! and everyone wants to talk real estate (especially these days.)

However, we always have our business cards with us, and IF asked will hand one over. Most times, it is a social contact and the business card just has all the way to contact us.

shelly

Old 11-05-2008, 07:44 AM

192 posts, read 632,391 times
I couldn't agree more!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:04 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,143,981 times
I really appreciate the input.
It dawned on me that the vast majority of the Realtors I know do not include other Realtors in their private social functions, but rather have separate Realtor only events. I invite my Realtor friends to my parties and events that include clients, family and members of my sphere, but I would expect my colleagues to not use the exposure to my sphere for networking.
If I'm invited to another Realtor's house and get to meet his/her clients, I will appreciate the invite and enjoy the company, but I would not try to connect and network, even on a social level.

This business can be tricky as networking is an important part of it and it's hard to discern when social networking ends and business networking begins, and when colleagues turn into competitors.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:19 AM

718 posts, read 2,081,844 times
Rude is rude.....does your radiologist friend bring "samples" of his/her work? As a realtor of long standing, I know that this business is the only one you can stink at and still get some kind of award for at the end of the year ....can we spell r o o k i e? I hope my dentist never got that award

Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times
Do Funeral Directors socialize with other Funeral Directors?

Do Funeral Directors solicit new business from guests at social functions?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:19 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,393,284 times
Friends are always that, and I am never challenged by the comptetition, and as a courtesy, would not expect them to network my invited guest, and likewise , I would do the same. Like the other post, too many cleints to worry about being swept by other agents, and usually the setting with other realtors, is usually, to dance, drink, and just hang out. My friends will stay that way, and true ones, are always loyal, and if not, then not really true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals