Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone this route? I was accepted into a masters program that is an MBA but focuses specifically in real estate. I'm really excited about it as it goes into development, management, investing etc with the end goal working in property development in Baltimore.

Last edited by davecj; 12-22-2011 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
do you need a degree for any of that? I'm thinking you don't.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:24 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I would recommend AGAINST any overly specialized advanced degree unless you are currently employed in a firm that has agreed to to pay for such a degree and then reward your effort with a better position.

There are no doubt hundreds if not thousands of people employed in the kinds positions listed who have no advanced degree whatsoever.

The current state of devastation in real estate almost certainly has resulted in many people with advanced degrees of the type listed who are unemployed...

Old 12-23-2011, 06:06 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times
I appreciate the insight. Worst case it can only make me more prepared as an agent or on my own renovating homes. My wife works in property development and the VP said there is a distinct lack of people with specialized degrees in the field and that it would open the door for a really nice position in development.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:51 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
IMO, the faster we move towards higher educational requirements moving real estate from a sales business to more of a service business the better the industry will be. As a REALTOR, broker, owner, & auctioneer, I am constantly challenged by the ignorant behaviour of uneducated licensees.

Currently, there is too much political "fairness" to legislatively encourage more education as a prerequisite to licensure.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:31 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
^^^Agreed. But that doesn't mean that the OP will get value from an MS in Real Estate. It takes time and lots of money. Could investing in a good RE marketing system pay off better? Probably.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:56 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
^^^Agreed. But that doesn't mean that the OP will get value from an MS in Real Estate. It takes time and lots of money. Could investing in a good RE marketing system pay off better? Probably.
Nina, you are so correct! I agree with you. In the short term there is only a solid marketing system or CRS, GRI, etc. I apologize for taking the thread away from the OP.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:06 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
New York University has been offering an M.S. in Real Estate for many years. Seems like there has been and still is definitely a market for the advanced degree.
I guess it depends on why an individual is going after the degree. I took some individual courses that interested me (primarily investment real estate) and have to say, it was well worth my time and money!

Old 12-24-2011, 04:06 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
We have just received notice from the North Pole that all those in the real estate industry will not be receiving presents this year. Apparently Santa IS UPSET!!!

He is currently working on a transaction that was set to close, and at the last minute the lender added conditions. As he stated to us, he has had it up to his red cherry nose with conditions.

1. The Elves have refused to return phone calls to verify employment as they expressed this is just too busy of a time to call anyone.
2. Santa can't sign his loan documents in time to make his lock as he will be leaving on an extended vacation starting 12/24.
3. The lender is asking for additional proof that Santa has not taken out any new loans on his Sleigh.
4. The lender is also requiring proof that Mrs. Claus has been in the cookie business for more than 2 years.
5. When the Social Security Verification form was sent off the information came back stating Santa Did Not Exist.
6. Due to a lack of Comps in the area and the Rural property the lender is requiring a second appraisal.
7. The copy of Santa's Photo ID cannot be verified as there are too many imposters around to prove it is him.
8. The lender has required us to count the expense for Reindeer food and maintenance in Santa's Debt to income ratio calling it "cost of doing business"
9. Santa has refused to sign the AKA statement as it is about 4 pages long listing names such as Kris Kringle, Father Christmas, Old Saint Nick, etc.
10. Apparently the lender is trying to call Mr. Claus's work "SEASONAL" and they want to verify if he collects unemployment on the off season.

So all of you out there in the real estate industry please plan accordingly as we only have one shopping day left.
Ho! Ho! Ho! and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:35 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
We have just received notice from the North Pole that all those in the real estate industry will not be receiving presents this year. Apparently Santa IS UPSET!!!

He is currently working on a transaction that was set to close, and at the last minute the lender added conditions. As he stated to us, he has had it up to his red cherry nose with conditions.

1. The Elves have refused to return phone calls to verify employment as they expressed this is just too busy of a time to call anyone.
2. Santa can't sign his loan documents in time to make his lock as he will be leaving on an extended vacation starting 12/24.
3. The lender is asking for additional proof that Santa has not taken out any new loans on his Sleigh.
4. The lender is also requiring proof that Mrs. Claus has been in the cookie business for more than 2 years.
5. When the Social Security Verification form was sent off the information came back stating Santa Did Not Exist.
6. Due to a lack of Comps in the area and the Rural property the lender is requiring a second appraisal.
7. The copy of Santa's Photo ID cannot be verified as there are too many imposters around to prove it is him.
8. The lender has required us to count the expense for Reindeer food and maintenance in Santa's Debt to income ratio calling it "cost of doing business"
9. Santa has refused to sign the AKA statement as it is about 4 pages long listing names such as Kris Kringle, Father Christmas, Old Saint Nick, etc.
10. Apparently the lender is trying to call Mr. Claus's work "SEASONAL" and they want to verify if he collects unemployment on the off season.

So all of you out there in the real estate industry please plan accordingly as we only have one shopping day left.
Ho! Ho! Ho! and Merry Christmas!
Thanks for sharing! Forwarded it all the colleagues in my office
How apropos!

Definitely worth reps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals