Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 PM

158 posts, read 523,617 times

Advertisements

Today I received a lead from an individual claiming to be interested in buying one of my listings. She requested that I email her information about every property in that (very low) price range including listings from other companies. She also requested that I sign her up on the MLS to receive new listings as they hit the market. However she never mentioned scheduling a showing on the listing she contacted me about, which was odd.

I decided to give her a call and when I reached her voicemail I discovered that she was a broker in an area about 2 hours away. Several companies in our market aren't on the MLS and brokers from outside the area get very frustrated having to go from site to site to get property information. I work in a pretty desirable vacation area and outside agents are constantly trying to land deals here. It really ticks me off that she didn't disclose that she was an agent. I have no problem providing a broker with information on my listings. I can't imagine she would have been interested in Buyer agent representation as she is licensed as well. I could have easily spend the entire morning pulling information for her or possibly her Buyer. What do you think legitimate buyer or sleazy broker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Hard to say, but I suspect that if the MLS system in NY is anything like the stuff we have here in IL there are potential sanctions for knowingly giving away info to a non-client. I would probably call this other agent and let 'em know that you have pulled together the requested info. Further let 'em know that your broker has reservations about releasing info to another agent unless a reciprocity agreement is in place.

If they have a legitimate buyer they ought to sign the agreement. If they are on a fishing expedition they will disappear...

Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
That is a pretty sleezy move on her part. I suspect also an ethics violation if she is a REALTOR.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:26 AM

574 posts, read 1,639,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobble View Post
Today I received a lead from an individual claiming to be interested in buying one of my listings. She requested that I email her information about every property in that (very low) price range including listings from other companies. She also requested that I sign her up on the MLS to receive new listings as they hit the market. However she never mentioned scheduling a showing on the listing she contacted me about, which was odd.

I decided to give her a call and when I reached her voicemail I discovered that she was a broker in an area about 2 hours away. Several companies in our market aren't on the MLS and brokers from outside the area get very frustrated having to go from site to site to get property information. I work in a pretty desirable vacation area and outside agents are constantly trying to land deals here. It really ticks me off that she didn't disclose that she was an agent. I have no problem providing a broker with information on my listings. I can't imagine she would have been interested in Buyer agent representation as she is licensed as well. I could have easily spend the entire morning pulling information for her or possibly her Buyer. What do you think legitimate buyer or sleazy broker?
Sleazy broker for sure! I would fully expect an honest agent or broker would have identified themselves at least on the first contact. You should file an ethics complaint with your license board and copy her association on the complaint!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
You should file an ethics complaint with your license board and copy her association on the complaint!
Real estate agents never turn each other in. If you start doing that, no one will ever talk to you again, other brokers will tell everyone not to work with you and you can kiss your real estate career goodbye.

But alas, this is also the biggest problem with the real estate industry. Everyone ignore bad behavior, thus it continues.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Real estate agents never turn each other in. If you start doing that, no one will ever talk to you again, other brokers will tell everyone not to work with you and you can kiss your real estate career goodbye.

But alas, this is also the biggest problem with the real estate industry. Everyone ignore bad behavior, thus it continues.
Besides being a very pessimistic viewpoint which I don't believe, perhaps that notion depends on the market and number of agents. Here, where there are several thousand agents, that sort of "blacklisting" would be impossible to carry out to any effect. I think we are all be better off when truly bad, unethical, and illegal behavior is reported.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Isn't that the truth though! It is unfortunate that this type behavior goes virtually unchecked. Some will say that policing their own is not possible but then they will police or blacklist other tradespeople using various obvious methods. Unfortunately the consumer is ultimately the one that pays for this.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:

That's not true. I've filed two complaints against agents with our state licensing board. The state didn't do anything about it, which I expected, but at least I did what I could.

People still work with me and show my listings.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
That's not true. I've filed two complaints against agents with our state licensing board. The state didn't do anything about it, which I expected, but at least I did what I could.

People still work with me and show my listings.
Excellent and kudos to you! I've been accused of hating all real estate professionals and especially accused of hating agents. The truth is I don't because there are good ones out there. The problem is too many bad ones are still running around taking advantage of consumers. If the industry can police its own and help clear up the problems then consumers will gain more confidence in those that are still in the industry.

Even if the licensing agency did nothing then hopefully the complaints are kept on record. If the individual steps out of line again then the licensing agency can't ignore that. Any complaint a consumer files against a professionally licensed person is a matter of public record. An agency that is not performing its job is easier to expose.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
Excellent and kudos to you! I've been accused of hating all real estate professionals and especially accused of hating agents. The truth is I don't because there are good ones out there. The problem is too many bad ones are still running around taking advantage of consumers. If the industry can police its own and help clear up the problems then consumers will gain more confidence in those that are still in the industry.

Even if the licensing agency did nothing then hopefully the complaints are kept on record. If the individual steps out of line again then the licensing agency can't ignore that. Any complaint a consumer files against a professionally licensed person is a matter of public record. An agency that is not performing its job is easier to expose.

Yes all complaints in Oregon are public record and anyone can go and view them as well as the investigation and results. The problem is that the complaints and disciplinary action isn't available online so consumers have to physically go into the office to see the file there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals