Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 AM

54 posts, read 330,074 times

Advertisements

Buying a house thru relo company, the owners still own the house. We've agreed on a price with the seller and were told that all future dealings will be with relo co. The contract we received has the owner listed as the relo co but technically they're not the owners yet. Is this normal? My attorney has all kinds of issues with this but realtor says this is normal. Should I be concerned here or sign away??

My biggest issue is a clause in the addendum in reference to any inspection issues: in the event of any claim or demand by buyer as a result of buyers inspections, the seller shall have the option of:
1.Making said items operational or functional, agreeing to the expense in writing, or
2. Giving the buyer a credit for items, agreeing to the credit in writing
3. canceling this agreement and refunding the buyers earnest money or other deposit

it doesn't say anywhere that I can cancel so my attorney is making a big deal out of this but the way i look at it if i don't agree with the first two then they cancel the contract and i'm out right? It's a great house in Miami, built in 91 they've had all kinds of inspections done on the house already and haven't found any issues, the sellers agent is sending me all the info. I don't want to lose out on a great house over something silly.HELP!! do i have an over reactive attorney or should i worry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,834,376 times
What does your "regular" contract say? If your regular contract says you have an out if you're not happy with inspections, you can still get out. The addendum is just additional on top of what you've already agreed to.

The relo company does a simultaneous close, or some times it's a couple of days before closing, so they will own it by the time it's time for you to sign the papers.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:32 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,230,742 times
What does your buyer's agent say?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM

54 posts, read 330,074 times
my regular contract says that i have 10 days to change my mind, i found the house thru the sellers agent so i don't have a buyers agent.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,978,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love ny View Post
my regular contract says that i have 10 days to change my mind, i found the house thru the sellers agent so i don't have a buyers agent.
Regardless of how you "found" the house you have a right for representation. The relo company will be paying the cooperating broker. Are they offering to pay for your attorney? If not, there is no reason for you not to have a Buyer's Agent too. Understand that the list agent has no fiduciary duty to you outside of honestly representing material facts about the property.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:37 PM

54 posts, read 172,899 times
I just put an offer in on a house and got the same "relo addendum" sent over. Was a surprise to me! Thought I was dealing with the owners. My personally decision- I'm not considering signing something like that. From what I read, sounds like its changing the original contract and limiting my rights. As soon as I saw "10 days" and "as is" in the contract. I said "Not signing it" In this market there are way too many homes for me to choose from than to sign something like that. If they want to sell the house to me, they will need to use the standard contract or I'm moving on to another house. But that's my choice. I'm sure its a good idea to continue to consult with your attorney. Good luck on whatever you may decide!

Last edited by ImOuttaHere; 04-27-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,592,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
What does your "regular" contract say? If your regular contract says you have an out if you're not happy with inspections, you can still get out. The addendum is just additional on top of what you've already agreed to....
Actually, addendums can change the terms of prior contract clauses. Happens with bank addenda all the time - they essentially rewrite the entire contract with new terms.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,592,558 times
Quote:
...the seller shall have the option of:
1.Making said items operational or functional, agreeing to the expense in writing, or
2. Giving the buyer a credit for items, agreeing to the credit in writing
3. canceling this agreement and refunding the buyers earnest money or other deposit

it doesn't say anywhere that I can cancel so my attorney is making a big deal out of this but the way i look at it if i don't agree with the first two then they cancel the contract and i'm out right?...
No, it's the seller's option to select what they will do, you don't have a choice to agree or not (unless that was indicated somewhere else). I agree with your attorney, it's a concern.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,230,742 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you would do that, but I wish you well.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 PM

54 posts, read 172,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I'm not sure why you would do that, but I wish you well.
is that based on what the real estate agent wrote in because they knew that its required by the relo company? Or is it different in each state? I believe the standard is 17 days where I'm at.

If this agent wrote that in, I would be concerned about that as well. Did the agent explain the 10 days rather than the standard (if its different) I believe during that time you also need to get an inspection, then the report, and then address any concerns to the seller. Unless it states different, that is really cutting it short. However, I'm not an agent or an attorney so I'm not familiar with all laws. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals