Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:16 AM

25 posts, read 72,293 times

Advertisements

We are under contract to buy a house that has a well. Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about wells. The owner just had the well water tested in May and supplied us with the satisfactory test results.

Do I still need to have the well inspected from a mechanical/structural perspective? And if so, would the companies that collect and sample the water also be the ones who inspect the actually mechanics of the well?

I guess what I'm asking is should I just worry about the water quality or is standard to also have the mechanics(pump etc) inspected as well? Same companies usually do both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 06:30 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,665,389 times
There is not much to a well to inspect. You have your pump and your expansion tank in most cases.
An inspection of the pump will likely reveal either it is working or it is not working.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:18 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
Default Varies considerably...

Deep wells ( which generally means anything more than about 30 feet) have a submersible pump that requires a well drilling company to haul up all the pipe and the pump. You don't want to do that until the pump neess replacement, which depending on water quality and usage, happens about seven years or so on average.

Shallow wells have pumps mounted next to the captive air tank, typically in a utility room. Easier to service, but potentially different issues.

Either kind of well might also gave some associated filters and potentially similar housings for treating the water to improve taste, odor, or reactivity -- in areas where the pH is too low or too high it can harm other parts of the plumbing.

Some areas also have issues with bacteria counts, and chlorine or ozone purification systems may be needed.

Probably 90%+ of all wells are drilled, and there is big steel pipe called the casing that covers the first several dozen feet. Assuming no unusual circumstances those last nearly forever. The small number of dug wells may be lined with clay bricks, concrete or stone. Very few towns would approve those..

Local authorities can be a geat resource. Typically they can give you a detailed history of the well, water quality tests, and suggest trusted / licensesd firms to service the well and components.

Newer wells are nearly invisible in use / operation, the tests are mostly to make sure no changes have occurred. Older wells should be budgeted for upgrading, something that tends to happen when you have whole bunch of other expenses. Put aside money for eventual service so that you don't need an emergency loan to keep the water flowing...

Old 07-24-2010, 07:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,209,239 times
Contact the company that drilled the well originally.
They have log books on every well they drill and could give you a lot of info including the water rate/capacity when it was first drilled.

Driller1 could explain it better than me.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,509,979 times
If you're getting FHA financing, they may require the county health dept do a test on the water quality. Ask your lender or loan officer about that.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 AM

157 posts, read 440,834 times
We bought a house 18 ys. ago. We have never had in trouble.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,326,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
If you're getting FHA financing, they may require the county health dept do a test on the water quality. Ask your lender or loan officer about that.
FHA financing just requires that the water supply system meet the requirements of the local agency in charge of such systems.

Chet Everett's comments are spot on.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:53 PM

15,587 posts, read 40,476,450 times
You should always get a well flow test in addition to water quality testing. Lenders typically require that a well pump out at 5 gals/min or better. If it is less than that a storage tank is often the solution.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM

25 posts, read 72,293 times
Thanks for all the knowledge and advice. Not going FHA so that won't be a problem.

I vaguely remember the house had some type of four foot high thin white canister attached to the water pipes(intake) in the house in their storage area. It seem as if it might have been some type of additional filtration device. I have the general home inspection this week so I will out exactly what that is.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:38 PM

353 posts, read 1,730,026 times
I would definitely get a water sample tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals