Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 13,974 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was looking to see if I could get some opinions and or observations on the Rapid City Area home builders. I have looked at Kaski homes in Piedmont, and Dean Kelly homes at Sheridan Lakes Highlands. Also looked at several other homes, at Red Rock Estates, and in and around Rapid City. Have gone as far as Spearfish in our search.

I like the Kaski homes, but am a bit concerned that their pricing is on the high side, especially for the area. The Realtor that reps them has been very helpful, but I looked at many houses that were represented by that group and they all seemed high to me.

Liked the Kelly homes, and he was willing to talk about how to reduce costs, price concessions etc. If anyone has some opinions (or experience) on best builders, and in particular value for your money I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 01:51 PM

11 posts, read 20,318 times
Hi! I have a Kaski home In the Sunset Ranch Division. They are well build places. We have been there for over two years now, and love the area..

We looked at many others like yourself, but the one that fit our needs and budget was Sunset. the lots are from 5 to 18 acers. So the houses are not that close.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,726,219 times
Did you mean you looked at Red Rock Meadows or The Estates at Red Rock? If you are looking at The Estates you must make a lot of money!

I think you mean Red Rock Meadows. It is a large subdivision on the southwest part of Rapid City and it is very nice. All the houses are different too instead of just being 7 different models copied over and over. Sheridan Lake Highlands is very new too. I think there's only a few dozen homes out there but it's a very beautiful area. Most any part of south/southwest Rapid City is going to be very clean, very new, and a drive from the highways up north.

Kaski Homes, Sunset Ranch, Timberwood Park, and Northern Lights are all very nice too. If I had to choose one of those developments it would be Timberwood Park. There are a lot of pine trees and hills out there. It's really pretty.

Sunset Ranch is way out in Box Elder and doesn't have much of a view. It gets windy out there too.

Northern Lights are really cute homes (they have front porches and garages in the back) but they're right off of I-90 and there's a lot of commercial development going on out there so it may change from nice and quiet to busy and irritating.

Also consider Mandalay Homes, Eastridge Estates, or South Pointe. They're on the southside just a couple miles past the hospital. They start at $160k and it's also a very desirable part of Rapid City.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:32 AM

8 posts, read 13,974 times
Hi, and thanks for the replies. I did mean Red Rock Estates, the one off Sheridan Lake road on the golf course. I do make a good living, but I sure am not rich! Like many, I am about a year or so away from ruin if I suddenly find my job has left me!

Just really looking to see whe builds a good quality home, and the best value. We really liked Timerberwood Estates too, but are a bit concerned that it is away from town and other folks. We have an 11 yr old boy, and a 13 yr old girl, so having some friends near is a consideration. Thanks again.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:36 PM

If I had the option of Timberwood Park or The Estates at Red Rock I'd take The Estates in a heartbeat! That's some of the best real estate around Rapid City!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:16 PM

I just cam across an article on a new subdivision out by Box Elder called Cheyenne Pass. It's supposed to have 900 new homes.

Ribbon cut on new subdivision near Box Elder » RapidCityJournal.com (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/10/25/news/local/doc4902a80cb5c27306877326.txt - broken link)

Old 10-25-2008, 08:45 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,929,988 times
Danny,

Are there that many foreclosures in Rapid City? I know that Sioux Falls overall is faring well when compared to other cities such as Denver, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Stockton, Florida, etc. There are spots in the Sioux Falls area where there are clusters of foreclosures and some are old houses that need work and some that are half-million dollar homes. My town has between a half dozen to a dozen houses that have gone through or going through foreclosure, which is enough for a town of 2000 people.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,929,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I just cam across an article on a new subdivision out by Box Elder called Cheyenne Pass. It's supposed to have 900 new homes.

Ribbon cut on new subdivision near Box Elder » RapidCityJournal.com (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/10/25/news/local/doc4902a80cb5c27306877326.txt - broken link)

Very interesting article. It seems like Box Elder is blossoming similar to that of Tea and Harrisburg. What helps Tea and Harrisburg is that homeowners qualifiy for Rural Development loans that are not available in cities over 50,000 (which would be Sioux Falls and Rapid City in South Dakota). Being a small town near a big city has its draws. I would be curious to see how big Box Elder will be in another 10-20 years.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:20 PM

I don't personally know of many foreclosures in Rapid City but I am sure there are some. A friend of mine bought a really nice house in Terracita Hills that was foreclosed and he got it for about 3/4 the actual value. The main thing I see in Rapid City is a lot of retail space for lease. It seems like they build these big strip malls and nothing fills them in. There is a really big one up by Kohl's that has been done for over a year and still has not had a single tenant.

I too am very surprised by how much residential building there is out by Box Elder. I guess when I think of Box Elder I think of trailer parks, I-90, and strip joints!

I just can't believe that there is prospective development out there. It's also an inconvenient location if you want to get into town and there is not much out there for a view. It's out on the prairie.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 PM

86 posts, read 270,708 times
I live at the estates at red rock... the builder we used has recently moved so I can't help you there. I know in August there was a house that had foreclosed on Prestwick Rd. I don't know if that has been bought yet or not because I have not been back in town yet. Also on Prestwick Rd. there is a lot that is for sale by Schadd Construction. I know Schadd builds nice homes but I don't know what their prices are like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City