Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 PM

464 posts, read 1,357,331 times

Advertisements

i don't have a link, as I clearly stated it was from a friend of mine that lives in Hill City.
AND I never said it doesn't happen anywhere else. I just said it happened in Hill this week, ACCORDING to my friend.

and coincidentally, there is an opening for a music teacher in Hill city, posted 5/2/09.
http://hillcity.sd.schoolwebpages.co...7005c0adf66aaa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 09:10 PM

19,726 posts, read 10,516,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
i don't have a link, as I clearly stated it was from a friend of mine that lives in Hill City.
AND I never said it doesn't happen anywhere else. I just said it happened in Hill this week, ACCORDING to my friend.
which without a link,or proof, is gossip.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:59 PM

464 posts, read 1,357,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
which without a link,or proof, is gossip.
I never said it wasn't gossip either. I was just sharing what I was told. As I've now said 3 times.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,867,519 times
Quote:

and coincidentally, there is an opening for a music teacher in Hill city, posted 5/2/09.
Hill City SD 51-2 - SD - Career Opportunities

What is your point? Personnel matters are not always the matter of public record unless it results in some sort of court action. Either civil or criminal charges. Again just because they happen to be looking to fill a position doesn't really mean a thing. Still looks like hearsay until such time that story may or may not come out. Until such time any speculation is inappropriate.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:15 AM

87 posts, read 333,517 times
Quote:

Hill City SD 51-2 - SD - Career Opportunities
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post

What is your point? Personnel matters are not always the matter of public record unless it results in some sort of court action. Either civil or criminal charges. Again just because they happen to be looking to fill a position doesn't really mean a thing. Still looks like hearsay until such time that story may or may not come out. Until such time any speculation is inappropriate.
IMO, when there is a serious situation in which school authorities may have "swept it under the rug", speculation is quite appropriate ... it is gossip that is inappropriate. If no one is charged criminally or the school system doesn't follow their administrative procedures for formally terminating the teacher, should people act as though nothing happened?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:54 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,491,422 times
Here's the thing though~school districts generally clean house at this time of the year. They must notify personnel before May 1st if their contract will not be renewed. Most districts let a couple people go every April for various reasons. They are considered to be employed until June 30th. So having an opening in a district at this time of year isn't strange.

I'm not saying that nothing happened because I have no idea, but I hope that a link with the story will be posted as soon as it's out in the papers. But for the moment, I think we should put this part of the conversation on hold so we don't end up condemning someone who may have done nothing wrong.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 PM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,919 times
Jammie...unless there has been a change, I believe the deadline for a non-renewal of a contact is March 15.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,867,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Castello View Post
IMO, when there is a serious situation in which school authorities may have "swept it under the rug", speculation is quite appropriate ... it is gossip that is inappropriate. If no one is charged criminally or the school system doesn't follow their administrative procedures for formally terminating the teacher, should people act as though nothing happened?
Again you are basing this off of rumor and not much else. Was there an investigation either internal or from an outside agency? In this day in age I doubt any district would "sweep things under the carpet"

As far as not renewing a contract it can be for whatever reason anyone wants to come up with. No such thing as tenure around here.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,491,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpf View Post
Jammie...unless there has been a change, I believe the deadline for a non-renewal of a contact is March 15.
I did a bit of asking around and I apologize for my misinformation. You're right. For elementary and high school certified personnel, the deadline is March 15th. The deadline for classified personnel is May 1st. Actually, for both it's the day before. At Technical schools, there is no exact deadline.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 AM

9 posts, read 16,777 times
Default Cmon now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
And do you think this doesn't happen in Rapid City schools or many schools across the country??? Pssh! I can tell you the same story about a girl in my class and her religion teacher. Yeah, bad stuff is bound to happen and student/teacher relationships is one of those things. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the school is bad. Like Painter Guy said, they've had a lot of good care and good experiences with the Hill City schools.

Besides, the story wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I knew people from Hill City growing up and they always seemed a little... off.

Seriously, that is a rather pompous statement to make. I know a lot of really good people in Hill City as well as a few bad ones. It is true that the rates of teacher/student "incidents" are on the rise, but that can be anywhere, unless you can provide some sort of screening to exclude these types of people from teaching careers. I have heard bits and pieces of the "scandle" but....am in no position to coment because as of late, it is merely "town talk". Don't let one bad apple spoil your barrel.

Just a side note. If she "was" doing things with her students, I think we need to ask those students parents what kind of control they have over thier children. It seems to me that the more these cases climb the one comon factor is, rampant children. Which then leads me to the million dollar question....Where are the parents and what are they teaching thier children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City