Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 AM

70 posts, read 259,937 times

Advertisements

For those of you that live in this area or in Wake County, can someone realistically live comfortably on 55-65K a year? I am looking to possibly move down from New Jersey, however, I do not want to regret the move because of financial reasons. I have been down many times and know that the area is very, very nice. This is my only concern. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,269,048 times
If money is your only concern, make the move. You will miss a lot of things money can't buy. But you said money is it, so do it.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:31 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdal625 View Post
Can someone realistically live comfortably on 55-65K a year?
Define "comfortably"

Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
Google "cost of living calculators" and compare your city and cities in the Triangle. That's a start. The one on the CNN/Money website is good because it gives details about what items are more expensive and less expensive.

It all depends upon what you spend your money on and how many people are in your family. Where do you want to live? What kind of housing? Do you want to travel? Do you buy a lot of clothes? Go out to eat a lot? Go to the beach a lot? Rent a beach house? Save for the future? Have medical insurance? Will you need a new car? Are your hobbies expensive?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 PM

306 posts, read 883,603 times
My initial response to this is "No." But as the other posters have said, there are a lot of factors that come in to play. This area is not cheap. Housing is less expensive then NJ but don't kid yourself - everything else is just as expensive, if not more (btw - we moved here from Northern NJ).

Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Google "cost of living calculators" and compare your city and cities in the Triangle. That's a start. The one on the CNN/Money website is good because it gives details about what items are more expensive and less expensive.

It all depends upon what you spend your money on and how many people are in your family. Where do you want to live? What kind of housing? Do you want to travel? Do you buy a lot of clothes? Go out to eat a lot? Go to the beach a lot? Rent a beach house? Save for the future? Have medical insurance? Will you need a new car? Are your hobbies expensive?
The CNN Money website is really good. Thanks.

I would like to own a house, preferably in one of the suburbs of Raleigh, maybe Garner. Not a big family, would just be my girlfriend and I. Would like to travel. After looking at the cost of living calculators, I'm thinking that with 2 incomes it could work.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
My initial response to this is "No." But as the other posters have said, there are a lot of factors that come in to play. This area is not cheap. Housing is less expensive then NJ but don't kid yourself - everything else is just as expensive, if not more (btw - we moved here from Northern NJ).
I am from Central Jersey. Aside from money, how do you like the move? Any regrets?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:57 PM

932 posts, read 3,098,369 times
It depends on what makes you happy. We live off of $60-$65 now and are happy. We live in Garner...can't afford, and really don't want to live in Cary. I quit working when my oldest son was born. My youngest has one more year before he starts kindergarten. I'm in school and will graduate in about 1.5 years, then go back to work. We have no problem paying our bills, saving, and vacationing every year. We have 2 cars that are paid for (finally.) Our kids that gobble up a lot of that money...karate, clothes, food...expensive little boogers. We don't have the biggest house in town, but that isn't important to me. We have 3 bed/1.5 bath and it's well maintained. In a few years we'll need something bigger, but will be able to afford more when I go back to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary