Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM

52 posts, read 603,272 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in houses at Upchurch Farm subdivision in Cary. How's the train noise there? Can kids walk to school (Davis Dr.) from the subdivision? Is it safe to walk? Is there a bus stop?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 PM

546 posts, read 1,679,297 times
I don't live there but I live very close to the train. For that aspect, while I cant answer specifically how loud it is in that subdivision, I can say from experience that even really close it's normally not too bad, and within a short time you get very used to the sound. We have 3 children and they sleep through it at night, even after only being in our new location for 2 weeks. Hope this helps for one part of your question!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 AM

29 posts, read 48,038 times
Not safe to walk when I lived there there are people flying down high-house rd. I almost seen a kid get ran over.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:35 AM

189 posts, read 507,887 times
Train noise is relative, it doesnt bother some people at all, but not so others.
That said, Upchurch Farms is very very close to the Train Tracks.
Most people who buy there, do it for Davis Drive schools.
Sorry its not safe for kids to walk to school by themselves.
I am sure there is School Bus stop though.

You might want to visit around the time when Trains are scheduled to test.
I went to a friend's house in another subdivision nearby and although the Tracks are not in their backyard, the whole house was shaking, and we had to stop talking until the Train passed by, and there is a Train scheduled at 4 AM

Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
The train comes through Monday-Friday, with minimal fuss.
I live on the other side of Davis Drive, across from Stonecrest and Sherwood Greens.
My lot backs to the tracks.

The train along Davis Drive comes through at about 10-15 mph, with a few whistle toots. Unless there is a relief driver who is reading the manual. Then you get the full blast. (That seems to happen a couple of times a year close to my bedroom. )
Mornings, 8:00--11:00 it runs North to Durham. Evenings, 2:30PM--2:00AM, it comes back to Apex. About 6:00-7:00PM seems average for the return trip. Yes, it can be 2:00 AM, but that is seldom.
I don't consider it a problem or a compromise to my lifestyle.

In Upchurch Farms, if you are in the older section, it should be nearly a non-event.
You may hear the train running along Old Apex Road more often since sound carries and they blow the horn longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary