Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:55 PM

317 posts, read 1,516,268 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Raleigh in September so I just wanted to get some general information. Would this be a fun city for someone who is single in their 20's? Or would I have to go more towards Chapel Hill, or Durham? How is the nightlife? I don't like going to huge bars/clubs and partying every night. But I would like to have a bar or 2 close by.

I've been reading that Raleigh is more like a suburb rather than a city. That sounds appealing to me because I live in Pittsburgh and hate the huge city. I don't like being downtown and driving in the traffic, congestion, and being in the middle of the craziness. However, I don't want to be stuck in a "county" type atmosphere with no neighbors and no stores, grocery, bars, etc, around.

I would love to hear any kind of information... good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 01:25 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,311,029 times
Whether or not it's a fun city depends more on what you like to do and whether you have fun friends than on how old you are.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,116,067 times
There are more than enough stores, grocery stores, and bars around. There aren't as many neighborhood/owned-by-one-person bars here as compared to western NY. But I've never heard of anyone complaining about there not being enough places to drink.

You have to look for a country atmosphere, so don't worry about finding it without wanting to. You have to go on the outskirts before it even begins to seem "country."

Old 03-20-2010, 06:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,220,005 times
You'll just have to come and look around. There's plenty of places to go and all sorts of different vibes and scenes. I think you'll be just fine.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:14 PM

317 posts, read 1,516,268 times
I think reading these forums are making me so confused and causing me such anxiety over the situation. Because I read people saying its boring, they want to move back North, its too spread out, the people aren't friendly. I wonder if the people who say they don't like it, do it just so you can scare some people away. Just kidding.. . well kind of, lol.

I know every place has its positive points and negative points. But I like to hear different points of views. I guess the people who live there (or anywhere for that matter) and truly enjoy where they live.. will more than likely be out living their life rather than posting on a forum about how much they enjoy where they live.

Im just ramling I guess.. and this probably doesn't even make any sense LOL

Old 03-20-2010, 08:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,322,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
I guess the people who live there (or anywhere for that matter) and truly enjoy where they live.. will more than likely be out living their life rather than posting on a forum about how much they enjoy where they live.
I think you make a very valid point. There are 100's of thousands of people in the Triangle. Only a few dozen of them post on this forum and very few of them are in their 20's. I think the younger crowd is too busy out living their lives, going out ect... and aren't so worrited about posting on an internet forum.

The Triangle isn't like a big city, but their is stuff to do here. You just need to know where to look. If I were thinking of moving here I would follow local happenings on some of the local blogs. Google New Raleigh, Go Go Raleigh, and Bull City Rising and The Independent Weekly. Each one of those will give you lots of info and provide links to other helpful websites.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:37 PM

41 posts, read 111,154 times
I am 29 and just moved to Raleigh in aug. from nyc. And belive me its no big city but its just the right amount. I have found plenty of places to go out, eat, drink, museums, shopping, etc. And many new things that nyc didnt offer. I made 5 vists before I moved to check things out and each time I stayed in a hotel in a different location to get a feel for my surroundings.I also came every 3-4 months so I could experience different weather and how things are around that time of year. Also its like country farm land I dont know why people think that. So many people from back home always ask me are there farms and horses and no people and no stores. Its not like that at all! Do some homework, I picked raleigh beacuse it is a major city with an international airport great culture and people. good luck!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:36 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,164,389 times
my wife is 25, im 27. there's a lot of colleges, a lot of bars, and a lot of restaurants....both downtown and in the further away areas. it's not Boston, but it's more manageable. we've been having a lot of fun since we moved down almost a year ago. some of the people on here are a little neurotic. it's not really representative of the general population here. almost everyone i know is from somewhere else and they love it down here.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:11 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,769,040 times
Is there a lot to do? Yes.

Do you have to look harder for it? Yes.

Its not like a big city where there are 10 different burroughs or neighborhoods where different types of people go to do different types of things. There are a few little areas (five points, glenwood, franklin st, etc) but for the most part its the same people doing the same things.

Something else I've noticed (and this is going to be totally superficial so just bear with me, trying to help the OP out) - if you are a guy you are in luck. I am not single here but I'll tell you...this town is jampacked with single 8's and 9's (not a lot of 10's) in terms of girls, and for the most part they are grounded with a good head on their shoulders, very sweet, educated and intelligent. If you are looking for a good girl this is a gold mine. If you are looking for a wild child to have fun with, they are out there too, but not as plentiful. The best part is, the guys around here absolutely are not on the same level...tons of naturally beautiful girls with great bodies and a personality to match on the hunt for a good dude and really, there arent that many guys around here who fit the bill. Not to say they arent out there...but let's put it this way...if you are a 6 in your big city, you're probably a 7+ here as far as looks go.

Having said that...if youre a girl...sorry, the guys are out there but you'll have to dig.

Also:

"I don't like being downtown and driving in the traffic, congestion, and being in the middle of the craziness. However, I don't want to be stuck in a "county" type atmosphere with no neighbors and no stores, grocery, bars, etc, around. "

You just defined Raleigh. Right in the middle of those 2 extremes.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 AM

662 posts, read 1,646,980 times
LOL @ rory breaker... thanks for the compliment.

I had fun as a single girl in my mid-20's just moving here. In fact I didn't stay single for long! I met someone who was into a hobby of mine who introduced me to more like-minded people and before I knew it, I was surrounded by great new friends - one turned out to be the love of my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary