Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,280 times

Advertisements

i'm currently an undergrad at the University of Virginia and am looking into graduate schools in cities that are significantly larger than Charlottesville, VA. I would most likely go to NC State if any of the schools in the triangle region because its the only school that has my program (Chemical Engineering). I was wondering if Raleigh provided the same 'big-city flair' as compared to larger cities. Thanks for any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,104,689 times
Please define "big-city flair."

Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 PM

320 posts, read 1,070,718 times
Big-city flair? I don't think of that description for Raleigh. Charlotte, NC would be a closer match to Pittsburgh or Atlanta design/appearance/feel. Lots of trees and subdivisions in Raleigh and not as much concrete, no subways or rail system. Very few really tall buildings except for a few in a group right in central downtown. But plenty of things to do in the way of bars, restaurants, concerts, a few museums, plays, etc., and penty of traffic like those cities, though!!

Last edited by Sloaf; 03-19-2010 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 PM

By 'big city flair' I mean good restaurants, bars, decent places to go shopping. Huge buildings are a plus though. It seems like Raleigh is growing pretty rapidly and I think the upward growth is sure to come. I know the Raleigh area has a ton of golf courses which is a huge plus in my book. I guess ultimately I want to know if there is enough to keep me busy (outside of school work) for 2 to 3 years while I'm in grad school. Or would Raleigh be a good place to relocate to after I spent some time in Pittsburgh/Atlanta/Philly?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
Seems like it would actually be better to come to school here where there are fewer distractions, then move to a "big city" once you're out of school (and have both income and free time to take advantages of them), if this is your primary concern. You'll certainly have things to do in your off-time here, but it wouldn't be as tempting and an actual large city (which is good for a grad student).

Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 PM

238 posts, read 669,600 times
There aren't really "huge" buildings here like you will find in the downtown of a major city. I consider the Triangle more of a metropolitan area (spread out) than a big city.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:14 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,301,356 times
Raleigh is a nice small southern city that continues to grow. You shouldn't compare it to places like Boston, Atlanta, NYC ect... as those areas are much larger. I would come for a visit and see it it suits you. FWIW, as a Checmical Engineer Grad student I have to wonder just how much free time you would have anywhere. You will probably be to busy studying to be bored. Another point, I would not put Pitt in the same league as the other cities you listed either. I have guest in town this weekend who are from Pitt and I've been there a few times and I don't think Pitt has as much to offer as the Triangle let alone places like Boston.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Raleigh is a nice small southern city that continues to grow. You shouldn't compare it to places like Boston, Atlanta, NYC ect... as those areas are much larger. I would come for a visit and see it it suits you. FWIW, as a Checmical Engineer Grad student I have to wonder just how much free time you would have anywhere. You will probably be to busy studying to be bored. Another point, I would not put Pitt in the same league as the other cities you listed either. I have guest in town this weekend who are from Pitt and I've been there a few times and I don't think Pitt has as much to offer as the Triangle let alone places like Boston.
Thanks! I guess I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison between Atlanta, Boston, Pitt, Philly, and Raleigh. Those are the cities where I'm looking into grad schools. I've only visited Boston and Pitt for more than a couple of days but there are more road trips to come...And as far as spending all my time studying, I realize that I will need some distractions every once in awhile. But thanks again for your insight!

Old 03-20-2010, 10:35 AM

4,611 posts, read 6,445,164 times
Raleigh is more of a suburb than a city. It is a place of low density, sprawly development, without a light rail or subway system. While Raleigh has nightlife, few would call it a city with a pumping club scene or night life. It is a place for very laid back people who live fairly quiet lives compared to big city lovers. People who love big cities tend to be very bored with Raleigh.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:06 AM

32 posts, read 189,124 times
There is no "big city flair" in Raleigh. There is a small downtown nightlife scene. There are also some bars in North Raleigh, etc. Not much of a club scene (you have a couple of options to choose from..) The city itself is VERY sprawled out and you will find yourself doing lots of driving. It seems no matter which area I've looked at, I still have friends who live 25-30 minutes away in different directions.

I moved here from San Francisco which isn't even as big of a city as Boston or NY, and a year and half later it's still major culture shock.

I enjoy the peace and quiet of where I live, but I'm sick of all the driving, the limited options of what to do, and you must also be aware that people here tend to be much more conservative than in those other cities you mentioned (this is the bible belt, after all...)

I agree with a prior poster about this being far more like living in the suburbs than a city. It doesn't feel at all like a city to me, personally.

Just some things to keep in mind before moving here.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary