Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 PM

997 posts, read 4,657,720 times

Advertisements

These articles regarding Wake Schools were featured in the Atlanta Journal Constitution this week. Making headlines everywhere. I read in another thread that they made the news in another state somewhere too.

North Carolina: A model of desegregation joins the national retreat from school diversity | Get Schooled

Wake County votes for community schools. Moves away from socio-economic integration. | Get Schooled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,784,409 times
i don't agree w/ what the new wake school board is doing. BUT i resent media making this sound like an issue unique to NC and the south.....just look at parts of NY & MA that have ALWAYS BEEN stratified by socio-economics. AND i find it quite ironic that those who are leading this charge in wake co tend to be non-southern transplants.....not southerns who are tying to resegregate the south! AND worse is the media simpilfies this into just a racial issue in the South..... when it ignores that the old WCPSS was definitely playing favorites to some monied areas of wake (like 5 points & wakefield) while completely ignoring the needs of eastern wake....like knightdale.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 AM

31,702 posts, read 41,198,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
i don't agree w/ what the new wake school board is doing. BUT i resent media making this sound like an issue unique to NC and the south.....just look at parts of NY & MA that have ALWAYS BEEN stratified by socio-economics. AND i find it quite ironic that those who are leading this charge in wake co tend to be non-southern transplants.....not southerns who are tying to resegregate the south! AND worse is the media simpilfies this into just a racial issue in the South..... when it ignores that the old WCPSS was definitely playing favorites to some monied areas of wake (like 5 points & wakefield) while completely ignoring the needs of eastern wake....like knightdale.
Your points and concerns are very valid. We are in a period of sensationalized and polarized news coverage and the situation in Wake plays right into that. Now with the comment about animals coming out of their cages we are on the verge of becoming a national story with a wide variety of special interest actors entering stage left and right.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:14 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,861,388 times
Quote:
It's always a great story, pointing out the perceived failings of others.

My family in NY saw the NY Times article.

Yes, I gently pointed out how diverse my town's districts are (not)!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Your points and concerns are very valid. We are in a period of sensationalized and polarized news coverage and the situation in Wake plays right into that. Now with the comment about animals coming out of their cages we are on the verge of becoming a national story with a wide variety of special interest actors entering stage left and right.
unfortunately all the sensationalism will probably cost the whole state of NCs chances of getting any Race to the Top Dollars... NC has made the final 15...but this affects are ability to be competitive!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
unfortunately all the sensationalism will probably cost the whole state of NCs chances of getting any Race to the Top Dollars... NC has made the final 15...but this affects are ability to be competitive!
I understand your concern but North Carolina is a big state and many of the other finalist states have issues with local districts also. I think there is the potential for a considerable negative impact not sure Race To The Top is on That List. When I get sometime I am anxious to find out how many of the finalist are non union states like North Carolina. That does make implementing the reforms easier. If North Carolina does get money it will be interesting to see how it flows to the new Wake Board and how the citizens react to how it is required to be dispersed. I believe Gov Perdue is being interviewed by Sec Duncan and his team within the next week.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM

'Race To The Top' Finalists Named

looks like about 1/2 are non-union states.

N.C. has a shot at school funding - Politics - NewsObserver.com

some of nc's goals as stated on application....see rt side

Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
'Race To The Top' Finalists Named

looks like about 1/2 are non-union states.

N.C. has a shot at school funding - Politics - NewsObserver.com

some of nc's goals as stated on application....see rt side
Thanks for the links. I have thoughts to share with you but they are not on topic for this thread.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM

809 posts, read 2,195,372 times
This story has been in papers across the United States in one form or another. I'm not sure what makes that so shocking to folks.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
This story has been in papers across the United States in one form or another. I'm not sure what makes that so shocking to folks.
no one said it was shocking. just a discussion on what is happening & possible concerns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary