Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 13,097 times

Advertisements

My husband is from southern California and I think that I am a Carolina girl who's stork some how got lost in Ohio. Needless to say, we are SERIOUSLY considering moving and everyone tells us Cary is the place to go. He's a Physician Assistant and I work for the Federal Government, so jobs may not be an issue. We are curious about the weather and what Cary has to offer. Any help with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,103,904 times
It's horrendously hot and humid in the summer to the point you won't even want to go outside except if you're running from air-conditioned car to air-conditioned house. I say that as someone who grew up in Rochester, NY. Those who grew up in Texas will have another perspective.

The unemployment rate is high in general except in the health care field. So maybe one of you will be able to make a living.

As far as what Cary has to offer, you should search for "Cary" on this forum and on the Internet, and then visit.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,430,831 times
Cary is large suburban town (population approx 130K). Very family oriented. It's extremely well kept/clean and manicured. Many people criticize Cary for being being a homogenous, "vanilla", cookie type of place, without much character. As a Cary resident for the past 2 years, I think it's a wonderful place to raise a family or to retire to. If I was a young single person, I would probably prefer Raleigh. That being said, it is in close proximity to Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Plenty of shopping, restaurants etc.

As for your husband being a PA, there are jobs for him (I'm a nurse practitioner). We are close to Duke, UNC Hospitals, WakeMed and there are plenty of private offices/clinics.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 AM

98 posts, read 131,962 times
Except for some horrible winters mixed in with some nice ones, the weather cannot be beat. The summers are the highlight. It makes for a great time being outside. The spring, summer and fall weather are my number one reason for living here.

The Triangle's unemployment rate is not all that bad, being that the country is transitioning from recession into depression. It floats between 7-8%. The future is unknown, but my suggestion to everyone is find a place you want to move to and get there fast. People most likely will not be able to move much down the road. In your fields, you should do alright here. IT can be the more difficult field at this point in time.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 AM

29 posts, read 97,768 times
Don't forget that their are other areas around Raleigh. Cary is not your only choices in this area. For a number of years, there was a ton of people that moved there, thus the term "CARY = Concentrated Area of Relocating Yuppies". Mainly due to the job market in the RTP (Research Triangle Park).

I live in Wake Forest and have been in the area for more than 20 years. I love it! Country living without having to drive 30 minutes from everything. All the conveniences without all the people.

As for humidity, it's about the same as Texas. Some summers are hot and humid, some are nice and mild. If you like activities like biking, hiking, motorcycling, camping, fishing, atvs, boating, white water rafting, kayaking, etc etc etc. You cannot go wrong, this area has it all. Plus the mountains or the beach is only a couple hours drive.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,089,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It's horrendously hot and humid in the summer to the point you won't even want to go outside except if you're running from air-conditioned car to air-conditioned house. I say that as someone who grew up in Rochester, NY. Those who grew up in Texas will have another perspective.

The unemployment rate is high in general except in the health care field. So maybe one of you will be able to make a living.

As far as what Cary has to offer, you should search for "Cary" on this forum and on the Internet, and then visit.
How long does it last though? (the heat)

Old 02-27-2010, 12:04 PM

143 posts, read 385,595 times
The worst months are July and August.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 PM

29 posts, read 97,768 times
Last years heat wasn't that bad. The humidity is nothing like the gulf states. A lot less bugs too..

Old 02-27-2010, 01:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,176,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmustator View Post
Last years heat wasn't that bad. The humidity is nothing like the gulf states. A lot less bugs too..
August 2007 was a taste of Hell.

I came from New Orleans in 1989, so no issue there.

Not much Federal activity here. I retired from Federal IT in 2007.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:38 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,170,527 times
Who is this "everyone" who tells you Cary is the place to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary