Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:29 PM

51 posts, read 284,200 times

Advertisements

Anyone regret moving to Raleigh/Cary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 01:21 AM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times
I am interested to see what is posted here, because I regreted moving to Charlotte. However, I am thinking of moving to the Raleigh area, because friends of mine tell me that Raleigh is totally different. However, I do not think anyone is going to say they hate it in Raleigh because they will probably get bashed and neg reps for it. However, PM if anyone things that the grass wasn't greener on the other side. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2007, 02:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Anyone regret moving to Raleigh/Cary?
Threads like this seem to usually drift off-topic or get littered with purposely misleading information that people attempt to pass off as opinions. People can see how this happened before by looking at the last time this exact same question was asked here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...g-raleigh.html

To stay on topic, Nope I don't regret moving here (Raleigh) at all. No place is perfect but this place is the right fit for my wife and I.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:46 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I moved away from the Raleigh area to Union County (south of Charlotte). The schools were my #1 catalyst for moving, with the skyrocketing cost of real estate a close 2nd. In Union County I was able to buy my dream house for $100K LESS than the same house would have cost in the Raleigh area, and we have been very happy with the schools here.

If I had small children I would NOT choose Wake County if only for the school system which is a mess right now. Other than that, Raleigh/Cary/Apex is a beautiful place.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:18 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Personally, I'm almost to point of regretting having moved here only b/c I'm finding that it's taking a little longer for me to get used to things here. I'm not there yet but I'm giving it a year, which means that I have 6 months left to see how this thing pans out. I moved here b/c of my job. Now I know that you can't let that be the only factor for moving some where if you can help it. I'm going to look at Charlotte starting in July but I'm not sure if North Carolina is for me at this junction in my life. Your Mileage may vary though.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:30 AM

161 posts, read 559,053 times
Everyone has their own definition of paradise, so whether you like living in Raleigh or not depends largely on your individual preferences.

I moved to Raleigh from New Jersey a year ago, and I do regret it for two reasons. First, I moved too far away from my friends and family, so am feeling very homesick. Second, finding a job here has proven far more difficult than I had imagined. If you are in IT, there are tons of jobs, but coming from the consumer products and specialty retailer industry, there are very few companies here for me to choose from. While I have had some opportunities to switch industries, doing so would result in a paycut that is far deeper than the cost of living difference.

Raleigh is very beautiful. It is clean, green, safe, and you just can't beat the climate here. If I were married and had children, this is exactly the kind of place I would want to raise them (school system woes aside). The downside is that as metro areas go, Raleigh is very spread out, and the city itself is pretty, but lacks personality.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:38 AM

161 posts, read 559,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Threads like this seem to usually drift off-topic or get littered with purposely misleading information that people attempt to pass off as opinions. People can see how this happened before by looking at the last time this exact same question was asked here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...g-raleigh.html
I just read through that thread and don't see any misleading information there. Mostly it is a discussion about traffic. Some people think the traffic here is bad, others not so much. The opinions are relative to what each individual is used to, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Asking whether or not people regret moving here is a fair question. It is very easy to find information about the positive aspects of any city, not always so easy to find the negatives. Anybody who relocates anywhere would do well to look at both the good and the bad before making a decision to move. No place is perfect, including Raleigh.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Default Does Clayton count?

We moved from NJ last year as well...to Clayton. We do not regret it at ALL! My dh and I never thought that the Triangle area was a panacea but that it could offer us things that NJ couldn't.

We have made friends, have wonderful neighbors, lots of kids for our kids to play with, a beautiful house that isn't breaking us (on one salary), my dh has a great job with people he really likes, fabulous schools, green lush country roads, big open blue sky....all things that make us happy daily.

Its a better quality life here for us.
Lauren

Old 05-26-2007, 08:20 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
grifter my heart goes out to you as I in the early 90s went to live in NC and it was NOT what it is today. I took the culture shock very hard(and man south of Raeligh the culture was very different) in the beginning and was home sick. So we went home about 3x a year and for 2 weeks at Christmas. After 3 years I had assimilated. Just when I felt comfortable and had my bearings; Fresh Market, Cameron Village, Crabtree Valley Mall, Waccamaw Pottery, the outlets, Farmers Market, Flea Market, mall in Wilson, dr, dentist, friends, great job....ex husband says I am taking a promotion and we are going back. Well needless to say he never got the promotion and soon after we came back I had to say bye bye. I was depressed to come back.
NJ is not what it used to be. In 2000 I left NJ for good. I cannot wait to go back to NC. I enjoy going to the farmers market and the flea market and working out in my yard. Walking Cameron Village. Trips to Atlantic Beach and Wilmington. NC has changed and now is in pace with a modern, urban city in all manners.
If you are lonely find some people, I had to. My ex husband was always away he was in the military. I was all alone in NC most of the time with 2 dogs.
I kept very busy. You can be lonely anywhere. I didn't mind being lonely there.
I regret leaving. I can't wait to go back.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:04 AM

51 posts, read 284,200 times
Thanks for the reply's so far. I asked the question a while ago and was hoping for new fresh input. It's always great when people post their honest opinions. I know new people join these forums all the time, so keep the opinions/postings coming. It would be great if you could tell where you relocated from just for perspective. We are thinking of relocating from Scottsdale, Arizona - the only major hesitation right now is the school mess (but let's try to keep that as a separate issue alltogehter!). THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary