Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:49 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
As a couple without children I think to say any one town is a better fit than another is just strange. Everything in the triangle is nearby for you to go to Durham or Chapel Hill or pop inside the beltline to go to a nice restaurant.
I have always lived in a nice development without kids and never had an issue.
True -- assuming that living in a development is one's choice of lifestyle. Personally, my wife and I don't want to live in a post-1960s development; we prefer older street-grid neighborhoods with the charms like alleyways, pocket parks, etc.

I find that there are different characters between the towns and cities in the Triangle, which is both visible in the built landscape and, to some extent, in the kinds of neighbors you'll have. Again, not as a good or bad thing -- but the neighborhood you choose may help determine whether you'll naturally have more or less in common with your neighbors. The recent thread about which out-of-state areas new Triangle residents move to is telling -- NYC/Chicago/Boston/LA urban dwellers seem to prefer Orange and Durham Counties, while the more suburban areas around these cities as well as Sunbelt transfers tend to go for Wake and Johnston Counties.

Different strokes for different folks and all that -- but really and truly, I think you can sense a difference between the areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 10:57 AM

24 posts, read 72,605 times
As a person who lives in MA and relocating down there for work reasons, I have found this forum to be extremely helpful. But I am getting the strong impression that not too many people care to live in or recommend Durham. Hopefully that isn't the case, as we just put in an offer on a house in Durham! Why such negativity towards Durham?

Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 AM

95 posts, read 101,265 times
If you're looking for people who regret moving to NC you will find plenty on the NJ, NY, CT, MA and CA boards.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:14 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
SaJaMo, look around a little more and you'll find plenty of happy Durhamites on these boards. BullCityRising is one, as is IndigoBlue, Southpoint, and many more ... including myself!

What makes the Triangle great, IMHO, is that there is something for everyone here. The problem that presents, though, is that you really need to get out & drive around to find the area that is best for you.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:07 PM

164 posts, read 690,269 times
My fiance and I moved here 2 months ago and do not regret it at all. I love the peacefulness and our area and neighbors. I do though miss my family and friends in NJ. But they understand and support me no matter what.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:50 AM

319 posts, read 1,478,472 times
SaJaMo- I found Durham via an old college friend. She gave me the tour of Durham (9th street, Fosters, Duke Trails, and Brightleaf). I longed for Durham when I got back to Orlando. So as a recent college grad--I packed my car and moved! I've lived in Durham for the past five years. I just bought my first home in N. Durham and I love it. I hear other members on the board say different strokes for different folks. I think that is very true. I do visit Raleigh as well. I don't love just Durham but the Raleigh-Durham area for the people, different activities to do, and the variety of restuarants. I learn of new places and things to do all the time. I hope you settle in well!

Old 09-08-2007, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Anyone regret moving to Raleigh/Cary?
I am considering moving to the RTP area. I have been before to look around and was pleased with the area. However, after reading the messages on this site I am now hesitant about moving here. I have lived in Atlanta for 20 years and do not like it here. Therefore, I will be moving without a job and plan on living in a corporate apartment until I get settled. I am very marketable in the technical field so I am not worried about finding employment. I am more interested if this is a good city for a 40's single person to relocate too?

Last edited by nanp; 09-08-2007 at 07:25 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
We lived all over the USA before coming to Raleigh from New Orleans in 1989.

Did not miss the rush-rush of Manhattan and NYC and I became a true bubba in a few years.

Not for everyone, but we love Raleigh after 18 years.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:31 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Cominng from the North East you can't beat the weather or taxes in NC. However, you cannot discount the school problems such as extreme over crowding. In the NE our children always attended school in a class room within a school. Here in a lot of places within the Raleigh area they attend school in a trailier on the school grounds. Its the best they can do. The state just passed a $1,000,000,000 Bond to build schools and the plan is to try to get another $1,000,000,000 Bond passed in 2008 so for now taxes are less but over time they may catch the NorthEast I just pray the test scores do as well. Other than schools, we regret the great bakeries, resteraunts, and food stores. Its a great area for the 30 something crowd raising a family. Plenty of houses built, being built, and being planned. The beautiful Raleigh area landscape is being carved up for growth.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:49 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Cominng from the North East you can't beat the weather or taxes in NC. However, you cannot discount the school problems such as extreme over crowding. In the NE our children always attended school in a class room within a school. Here in a lot of places within the Raleigh area they attend school in a trailier on the school grounds. Its the best they can do. The state just passed a $1,000,000,000 Bond to build schools and the plan is to try to get another $1,000,000,000 Bond passed in 2008 so for now taxes are less but over time they may catch the NorthEast I just pray the test scores do as well. Other than schools, we regret the great bakeries, resteraunts, and food stores. Its a great area for the 30 something crowd raising a family. Plenty of houses built, being built, and being planned. The beautiful Raleigh area landscape is being carved up for growth.
Just to clerify...the state did not pass a $1 billion bond, it was Wake county that passed it. The voters will most likley also approve another $1 billion bond in a couple of years. The growth issue will get better in Wake county as the schools get built. I was a product of the Fairfax County school system in VA and most schools had trailers there too and it's considered one of the best school systems in the country and rivals anything they have in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary