Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
We moved from NJ last year as well...to Clayton. We do not regret it at ALL! My dh and I never thought that the Triangle area was a panacea but that it could offer us things that NJ couldn't.

We have made friends, have wonderful neighbors, lots of kids for our kids to play with, a beautiful house that isn't breaking us (on one salary), my dh has a great job with people he really likes, fabulous schools, green lush country roads, big open blue sky....all things that make us happy daily.

Its a better quality life here for us.
Lauren
Just wondering which neighborhood in Clayton you moved to. Everything you described is what we're looking for. Thinking of relocating from MD. Three girls, five, 9 and 9. Want a neighborhood with lots of kids, good schools, friendly neighbors, etc... Any advice?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 01:23 PM

850 posts, read 3,627,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvieth View Post
Just wondering which neighborhood in Clayton you moved to. Everything you described is what we're looking for. Thinking of relocating from MD. Three girls, five, 9 and 9. Want a neighborhood with lots of kids, good schools, friendly neighbors, etc... Any advice?? Thanks!
Hi Jonvieth,
Our town currently is called "Wendell" as Wendell handles our mail and we're outside the Clayton Town limits...but we are Clayton schools, etc. We might soon be "Archer Lodge" but still waiting to see how the attempt to incorporate this area went and if we obtained enough signatures.

Anyhow...the S/D is Tafton, the school is River Dell. We just love it. We have great neighbors, lots of kids and lots of transplants too. They are still building here with many more lots to clear.

My advice is to glom as much info as you can from these boards and write down all the neighborhoods that make sense to you on paper and then visit them! There are many S/Ds mentioned here, we looked at alot of them...but ended up here. Others ended up elsewhere. What will make you happy might fall in line with what makes me happy (along with what I need in house for it all to be worth it)...but it might not.

Where we live, its about 15 minutes to get to the hustle/bustle. We do have a closer Food Lion and a few other stores with more under construction (Lowes Foods...yay...will be only minutes away)...but for some that 15 drive is too much. I happen to love it.

Lauren

Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 PM

161 posts, read 465,041 times
Default hello

All of the opinions here on Raleigh are all true. One of them being finding a job isn't easy. I am an Admin. Assistant left NYC four mths ago after being unemployed for one year and here in Raleigh 4 mths. I just got a temp to perm spot and it's ok not too thrilled. I am getting interviews but no seconds, firms drag their feet like they don't care. The part about the state lacking personality is very true. I think Charlotte is a lot of fun I have been there and bigger than Raleigh also more firms and jobs too. I should have stuck to my original plan to move to Charlotte, but instead I came here. what turned me off was the prejudice comments I experienced from the people including recruiters in Charlotte scared me. I want to move while I still can so I am applying to job sin Charlotte too. Raleigh is clean, pretty, nice homes, apts., too, the malls are great all of them are gorgeous and lots of good restaurant and the food is expensive. I am very homesick and depressed not exactly having a ball. There are days that I wish I was back in NY no matter how cold it may be.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM

7 posts, read 9,324 times
Default Not better in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

We've lived from Midwest to Maryland. We waited years to get a job offer in Raleigh area. We chose Apex, and that area is booming. Now there is good shopping, food, good housing prices, and Apex has logical City government. But, the Wake County School District does put a big Negative on the cities within that District. If you NEVER want/wanted your kids in mandatory year round schools - don't move to Wake County. When you read the Wake County Public School's website, and it says "voluntary" just go back to the News and Observer Blogsite under Education and do your research about what's really going on in Wake County Schools. Then make an informed decision for your families.

And, while the blogger below lists all the cultural things in the area, she does not mention that often the events are not well advertised, museum hours do not work into family schedules, getting tickets to events are a hassle, and parking and street and building signage in the towns are non-existent. So it's hard to get to/from and into events. Not to mention that because of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill being 30-50 minutes from each other - cultural events often require long commutes on crowded roadways to attend.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,182,444 times
It's not NYC, but do you want the negatives of NYC?

My daughter went to PS 40, Manhattan in the 70's. Mainstreamed mentally ill kids picked on the lower class members almost daily. Upper grades had to beat the crazies into submission to protect the little kids.

So, y'all still think WCPSS is bad? Dr. Del Burns is a great educator who I know personally. He's doing the best he can with government sold out to developer greed.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:04 PM

91 posts, read 309,268 times
I have clients that moved here from Arizona last year, and just love it, her brother moved here this year and we found him the perfect job teaching ( which I was thrilled about, as we need more male role model teachers) and the perfect home, and now the parents are coming..imagine that!! No surprise there, they originally came to visit a few years ago because the brother went to Duke, the fell in love with the "forest" as they call our woodsy areas among other things. You can love or hate anywhere you live I think, it is all what you make out of it!!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM

108 posts, read 494,704 times
I'm from San Diego so when I hear people say you can't beat the weather in Raleigh I know they are not from coastal SoCal. I miss my home, especially the beach. Raleigh is NOT close to the beach. It has taken time but I really love it here and I feel like it's home. A move is hardest for people who were truly happy where they came from. There is a lot here. The NC Symphony and Carolina Ballet are outstanding. There are great restaurants...and junky buffets too, just like anywhere. Shopping isn't what it was in CA but I'm learning and finding my way. I did regret the move for a short time when I didn't know my neighbors, didn't know I needed to order unsweet tea, didn't realize you could find fish that wasn't fried and started doing most of my shopping online. I still loathe the hot sticky summers but there really are wonderful things and people. it just takes time for each of us to find our own version of wonderful.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:45 PM

553 posts, read 2,333,663 times
Default Regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Anyone regret moving to Raleigh/Cary?
opinions are like !@#$%^&* everyone has one and they all stink!
You will ALWAYS find someone who dislikes this area. You never know until you live here. I am in San Diego on business right now. I can't wait to get home.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,456,928 times
Default NO regrets.

Not for a minute.

It's not Shangri-la, but it's the next best thing.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 AM

40 posts, read 122,563 times
I think the thing that is most hard for people is that they all move here for the way our towns were BEFORE all the new people moved in

Kind of a catch-22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary