Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 AM

19 posts, read 56,029 times

Advertisements

Hi will be coming down next month, third and last visit. So I would like to have peoples thoughts ( good or bad ) on these 2 subdivisions. Any information will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 06:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,820,661 times
Brighton Forest.
Houses are selling in there.
The location is better.
The lots are better.
The pool is open.
The schools are better.
There aren't any half finished homes in BF that the builder can't afford to finish like there are in South Lakes.
They are not bringing in tract builders to put up $160K homes. I'd be extremely hesitant to spend Brighton Forest money in South Lakes knowing that the median home price in the neighborhood is about to drop by 40-50%.
Easy decision.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 PM

188 posts, read 1,145,267 times
I live in South Lakes, and love it. And below is the ACTUAL information about our community, instead of the misleading and inaccurate information posted by Funky Chicken

Houses are selling in here. We've had close to 10 closings this fall.
The location is fantastic - right off 401 and 55.
The lots are great - my lot is nearly half an acre. Most are around .3
The pool is open and has a great slide and a mushroom for the kiddos.
The schools in FV are good. The base elementary is Willow Springs and has excellent stats.
There are 2 local builders and 1 national builder on site. All homes have financial backing.
The developer of the community has done Preston, Highcroft, and Weycroft subdivisions in Cary. They are beautiful communities - you should go visit them.
Our community is designed to have homes in every price range. It is a "master planned community." The smaller lots have smaller homes, the larger lots have larger homes.
South Lakes also has paved trails and walkways that venture out to the lakes in the community. Very scenic and excellent for walking or biking.
Oh, and the neighbors are wonderful. LOTS of community sponsored events.
Definitely come take a look out here. If you would like to talk more or have specific questions, please PM me

Old 12-22-2009, 06:30 PM

I stand by everything in my post.

Feel free to check my history and reputation on this site.

You now have two different opinions.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 PM

645 posts, read 1,505,318 times
I live in Fuquay, and unless your job is in Fuquay and you don't want to drive I would NOT move to anything in Fuquay. South lakes?? Way too many homes sitting undone and they will be building in there forever. 1000+ homes and they are near 70 done in now almost 3 years. Brighton Forest? Nicer area, But again it will be on the 540 beltline when and if they build the road. Move to Cary, Wake Forest or better yet have you seen Briar Chapel in chapel hill? 15/501

We made a mistake 3 years ago. I love my house, but the developer in our neighborhood is..... and I am just not at all impressed with what Fuquay is bringing in to the town.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:37 PM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
I live in Fuquay, and unless your job is in Fuquay and you don't want to drive I would NOT move to anything in Fuquay. South lakes?? Way too many homes sitting undone and they will be building in there forever. 1000+ homes and they are near 70 done in now almost 3 years. Brighton Forest? Nicer area, But again it will be on the 540 beltline when and if they build the road. Move to Cary, Wake Forest or better yet have you seen Briar Chapel in chapel hill? 15/501

We made a mistake 3 years ago. I love my house, but the developer in our neighborhood is..... and I am just not at all impressed with what Fuquay is bringing in to the town.
With NC DOT already in process of identifying a corridor for 540 and quietly acquiring parcels of land establishing the 540 corridor NORTH of Optimist Farm Rd, it is unlikely that 540 will be objectionably near Brighton Forest.
Jamison Park?
Park at Langston?
Ridgebrook Bluffs?
Pebblestone?
All will likely absorb some effect.
Brighton Forest? Not so much, I would predict.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 PM

5,747 posts, read 17,623,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
With NC DOT already in process of identifying a corridor for 540 and quietly acquiring parcels of land establishing the 540 corridor NORTH of Optimist Farm Rd. . . . . .
Yeah. . . . I was afraid of that. . . . .I'm hoping that it will take them at least a decade before they even started to build the southern part of 540. I live south of Ten Ten and north of Optimist Farm.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yeah. . . . I was afraid of that. . . . .I'm hoping that it will take them at least a decade before they even started to build the southern part of 540. I live south of Ten Ten and north of Optimist Farm.
While they have initiated formal study, they have accumulated enough land along the corridor to make it easy to identify a significant portion of the highway arc.
IMAPS indicates a parcel just north of Donnybrook Rd. and a few on the east side of US401.
And, they will have some real challenges to fill in some of the blanks.
There will be homes lost is the only outcome I can see..

Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 PM

645 posts, read 1,505,318 times
There is just something about Fuquay that I just cannot put my finger on. I mean they just built an aarons rent! store. Just what an upscale community needs LOL... A Kohls and NOTHING else?? They could not sell the other out parcels?? The shopping center that was supposed to be built next to the Krogers?? What about the Walmart Shopping plaza now that has lost three more tenets. The old pharmacy that is now empty 3 years next to the Food lion off 401? Just up the road Rt 55 in Holly Springs its going gangbusters.... Why not in Fuquay??

Oh and how many car parts stores are on 401 in Fuquay?? 3?4? I think its 5 in a two mile distance from downtown to Judd Parkway.

Then we have the Kentucky Fried Chicken, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, wendys, Bojangles, mcDonalds, Dunkin Donunts, Chickfilet, charbroiled, I think I missed the other chicken place next to the Aldi.... Oh smithfields.. and Moes.. again all in a 1 mile distance to each other. Fine dinning experience no??

Even our Harris teeter is a small store with limited offerings.

Then there is my subdivision.... Lakestone Vill..... Got to love the moron developing the place. still cannot figure out why they cannot find anyone to finish out section 1! But then again the developer has big issues.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Back to the original topic.

Brighton Forest closed 32 homes from 11/08 to 11/09 at an average sale price of $350,578. There are currently 9 homes for sale in Brighton Forest. Total homes at build out in Brighton Forest is expected to be 392. There are currently 85 homeowners in Brighton Forest.

South Lakes closed 9 homes from 11/08 to 11/09 at an average sale price of $275,278. There are currently 21 homes for sale in South Lakes. This is a direct quote from an August 8, 2008 press release about South Lakes-

"South Lakes is expected to have almost 1,000 homes at build-out, plus a 25acre commercial center, Warner says."

Right now there are 37 homeowners in South Lakes-only 963 to go. At 9 closings over the last 12 months, the current sales pace indicates a build out year of 2116.

That average price of $275,278 does not reflect a single closing for South Lakes' newest builder, M-I Homes. They were NOT one of the original builders in the group when South Lakes broke ground, and the product they are planning to build in South Lakes starts in the "Mid 100s" according to their website. They currently control at least 21 lots in South Lakes (that's how many showed up in the first 14 pages of the search at Wakegov.com) and they intend to sell a product for around $100K LESS than the last 9 buyers in South Lakes paid for their homes on average.

You can attempt to make the argument that South Lakes is a "master planned" community with a variety of home prices-my response is that M-I homes was not in the plan at the outset and that South Lakes will not be able to build out in its original conceptual form-the same EXACT thing is happening in Hilliard Forest in West Cary.

The developer of South Lakes is being sued by a group of homeowners in the Cameron Pond community that it developed in Cary.
Link to the legal document-
http://media.mgnetwork.com/ncn/pdf/0...nd_lawsuit.pdf

Preservation Homes is (was) one of the primary builders in South Lakes. Read this year-plus old article about their woes-
Triangle home builders piling up liens, layoffs - Triangle Business Journal:

I think Preservation Homes builds a SPECTACULAR product. If they built a home in our square footage and price range in a location I would want to live in, I would be living in one of their homes. They are now broke because of their involvement in South Lakes.

With or without the Southern section of 540, South Lakes' location does not support its concept. That's why the concept has been thrown out the window by the developer, whose prior endeavors have been in the hottest geographical location for upscale residential development of the last decade in the Triangle. The reason homes sell in Impact's other communities is location. The reason homes in South Lakes did not sell is location.

Brighton Forest has weathered the down market better than most new communities.

South Lakes has been treading water for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary