Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:41 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersGirl36 View Post
Oh my goodness...this is never-ending! So the town of Holly Springs declared it's too wet to secure the footings for the deck. !
It sounds like your contractor is trying to dig the post footers as the initial step? The framing of our deck and porch was virtually complete before the post footer holes were dug and inspected . Digging the footers and getting an inspection can be done very late in the construction process.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
It sounds like your contractor is trying to dig the post footers as the initial step? The framing of our deck and porch was virtually complete before the post footer holes were dug and inspected . Digging the footers and getting an inspection can be done very late in the construction process.

Frank
Very true! I was very surprised to come home from work and see my whole deck (and quite a bit of the screened porch) built while the structure was suspended on temporary supports! The footings were inspected two or three days into the job, and then the posts and concrete were set. I think they do it that way to save time. One contractor I got a bid from said it would take three weeks to complete the project but the one I went with did it in about one. It's a good thing too because one week of construction chaos was about all I could stand!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:10 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Very true! I was very surprised to come home from work and see my whole deck (and quite a bit of the screened porch) built while the structure was suspended on temporary supports! The footings were inspected two or three days into the job, and then the posts and concrete were set. I think they do it that way to save time. One contractor I got a bid from said it would take three weeks to complete the project but the one I went with did it in about one. It's a good thing too because one week of construction chaos was about all I could stand!
Yep, this way the contractors are not delayed waiting for an inspection or for the concrete to cure so its much more efficient timewise.
It also ensures the footers are in the right place

Frank

Old 12-11-2009, 05:42 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
Yes, but in this case I think getting the inspection up front makes sense since their are questions about the floodplain. It would be a shame to wait two or three days into contruction to get the insepction just to have the isnpector reject the project over the flood plain issue. From the sounds of this thread, even if you get a permit, it sounds like it can still be zapped by the inspector upon their field visit over the flood plain issue.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:51 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Yes, but in this case I think getting the inspection up front makes sense since their are questions about the floodplain. It would be a shame to wait two or three days into contruction to get the insepction just to have the isnpector reject the project over the flood plain issue. From the sounds of this thread, even if you get a permit, it sounds like it can still be zapped by the inspector upon their field visit over the flood plain issue.
I don't think the whole project would get nixxed after the permit - the inspection is of the footing holes, and the ground is apparently too wet to dig them properly. I would hope that the ground will dry out - if it doesn't that may nix the project more than the inspector would!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 AM

106 posts, read 502,988 times
OP here...
Guess what? The footings for the fence were put in yesterday!!! Yay!!! Hopefully the engineer will be here today to make sure the footings of the deck go in. Couldn't be more excited. Well, actually I'll be more excited when it's done and I can post a picture! Thank you for all of the advice received from my CD friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary