Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,104,689 times

Advertisements

Not if the building inspector approves it and the flood insurance isn't outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Those are two very very big issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM

106 posts, read 503,336 times
Well, we submitted our plans and the town initially said no. Based on the 8x11 plot that we drew our deck structure. My husband went to the people who surveyed our land and got the original drawing to scale - I guess the 8x11 sheet was not 100% accurate. The deck builder came back out and remeasured for us and it looks like we might actually clear the flood plain! Woo hoo... we just resubmitted and should hear back in a few days. I was shocked that the town denied our plan without even coming out to measure. It's always a good idea to double check! Fingers crossed! I'll repost when I hear back!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 PM

60 posts, read 118,827 times
Usually the municipalities are more concerned with impervious surface like patios, driveways, foundations, etc. It's usually the lender that requires flood insurance, not the municipalities so if you can get the permit, and you don't need a mortgage to build the deck, you would probably be ok.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 AM

Well... we just found out yesterday the town approved our re-submitted fence and deck plan!!! Yippee!! They start on Friday and I'll post pictures once it's done!!

Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 AM

43,342 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersGirl36 View Post
Well... we just found out yesterday the town approved our re-submitted fence and deck plan!!! Yippee!! They start on Friday and I'll post pictures once it's done!!
Congratulations!
And thanks for the follow up. It is always interesting to learn how things work out for folks who come to the forum with questions.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM

Oh my goodness...this is never-ending! So the town of Holly Springs declared it's too wet to secure the footings for the deck. I understand, so we just have to wait for things to dry out. We did not get a land survey when we closed on the house (we weren't planning on building a fencd/deck at the time) and when the deck builder measured to make sure the "pins" were accurate he ran into an issue. He thinks our side lot acutally runs quite a few feet into what our neighbors think is their yard. (Bill, if you are reading this...it's the other neighbor!).

So now I'm assuming we get a professional land survey (there goes another $350!). If we were talking only 12 inches I wouldn't care but a few feet will make a difference. Any suggestions from the city-data family out there? Should we approach the builder first or get the survey. Our 1 year warranty just ran out but the builder is still around in the neighborhood. Any suggestions are helpful! Thank you!

Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,953,492 times
Always, always, always get a survey when buying property. Never rely on visual or assumed boundaries. $350 would be a good investment regardless of your deck/neighbor issues.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Update! So we had a land surveyor come out today and our lot is acutally about 6 feet wider than we thought! Luckily the neighbors were great about it but they have to dig up their baby cyprus tree. Hopefully our yard will dry out soon so they can start building!!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,552,457 times
Install some pier bouys just in case
http://www.cindysworks.com/images/hawks_buoys.gif

Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,587,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Not if the building inspector approves it and the flood insurance isn't outrageous.
Just curious why would you insure just your deck against floods? Or you are saying if you build in the flood plane you need insurance as part of some requirement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary