Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 05:19 AM

4 posts, read 12,563 times

Advertisements

Which home to buy Existing Home or New Home in this current housing market condition ? please advise or comment based on this Triangle Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewebclick View Post
Which home to buy Existing Home or New Home in this current housing market condition ? please advise or comment based on this Triangle Area.
Here is a link to a recent discussion on this very topic:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...w+construction

Old 05-10-2007, 06:14 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
FWIW, If I went shopping for myself tonight to buy a home, my list of criteria would be about like this, from most important to least important:
1. $$$$ and value
2. Location, and site amenities and deficiencies
3. Style...one level living

4. Condition and potential condition
5. Size in SF
6. Garage
7. Lot size and layout
8. Outdoor living space...Deck, patio, screen house

notice that the age of house did not even make the list. Old houses and new houses are equally appealing if they have other positive attributes.
Old homes can be gracious and beautiful, and full of character. They can also be junque, and that is quite common.
New homes can be gracious and beautiful, and full of character. They can also be junk, and that is quite common.

Buy what you like, and can comfortably afford, in the very best location you can get it, and you will do all right.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
I totally agree with Mike. Well put.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
I prefer exisiting homes myself. Can't stand dealing with builders (have built 2 new homes before and vow to never deal with that again.) The house we are in now is coming up on 4 years old so most of the kinks have been worked out but everything is still pretty new. The neighborhood still looks newish, but not brand-spanking 4 foot tall tree in the front yard new. Our previous house was 16 years old and although it needed some updating it was nice to be able to pick out whatever we wanted instead of the paltry options most builders offer. And we could make changes as we lived in the house and got to "know" it a little better. i.e. light throughout the day, flow, etc. We enjoy making changes to existing houses to make them our own and aren't afraid of some pretty major updating.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:03 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
FWIW, If I went shopping for myself tonight to buy a home, my list of criteria would be about like this, from most important to least important:
1. $$$$ and value
2. Location, and site amenities and deficiencies
3. Style...one level living

4. Condition and potential condition
5. Size in SF
6. Garage
7. Lot size and layout
8. Outdoor living space...Deck, patio, screen house

notice that the age of house did not even make the list. Old houses and new houses are equally appealing if they have other positive attributes.
Old homes can be gracious and beautiful, and full of character. They can also be junque, and that is quite common.
New homes can be gracious and beautiful, and full of character. They can also be junk, and that is quite common.

Buy what you like, and can comfortably afford, in the very best location you can get it, and you will do all right.
Mike you are soooooooooo wise. You can calm the inside of a tornado.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Mike you are soooooooooo wise. You can calm the inside of a tornado.
I'm not worthy...

Old 05-13-2007, 05:12 AM

22 posts, read 159,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Old houses and new houses are equally appealing if they have other positive attributes.
Old homes can be gracious and beautiful, and full of character. T

One thing that put us off looking at new construction was the barren landscapes - with existing you can get established gardens and trees

But the main reason I didn't look at new construction is all the Home Owner Associations and the covenants! Our realtor didn't understand why we just didn't look at any house with HOA (if there were HOA fees listed on the realtor web listing then the house didn't get on our list). For the houses we looked at we also asked if there were restrictive covenants on them.

The house we bought has expired covenants .

I am fine with the fact that for me to have the freedom to own our own place without giving up some of that ownership to an HOA means that my neighbours have the same freedom. They don't tell me what to do, I don't tell them what to do

Cheers, Liam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary