Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:04 AM

25 posts, read 62,845 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are considering moving to Chapel Hill from Long Island.

Essentially, we have had it with the cost of our home here amongst other expenses;

House - 7 figures (Could easily put another 200k for bathroom/kitchen work, etc.)
Taxes - 5 figures that starts with a 2
Home Insurance - $5,000 Year
Utilities - $6,000 year

These numbers represent a house that is very modest in size (less than 3,000 square feet).

In addition to the insane costs of our home here on Long Island we are tired of the general attitude of Long Island. I don't think it serves much to talk about what the style and personality is here but rather that we need a change to a much more "friendly" environment.

Without being too long winded we are looking at only Chapel Hill although we fully intend to send our only child to a private school.

We want to tone down our costs of living and would like help from anyone who knows the Chapel Hill communities.

Our preference is to spend $750,000 or less (we don't need or want a huge home) for a house but since we have a young daughter who will be going into 3rd grade next year we want a neighborhood where there are many other young children.

We are going down in a few weeks to look seriously at home locations and would appreciate anyone who could recommend communities that might fit our needs.

I also understand that taxes vary around Chapel Hill and since we are not going to public school it would be desirable to be in a lower tax location.

Lastly, we are going to look at Friends Academy and the Emerson Waldorf School but we are open to other private school choices as well. If anyone has any experience with any of the private schools including Friends or Emerson Waldorf please let us know.

I thoroughly thank you in advance for any information that you might be able to provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,087,118 times
So I'm confused a bit ... If you only want to live in Chapel Hill then you will pay Chapel Hill property taxes which I believe are the highest in the area (granted that is relatively less than you pay now). Many folks live in Chapel Hill to take advantage of the highly regarded schools but if you are sending your child to private school you might want to consider living "outside" the city in the county. In NC you typically pay county property taxes and then city property taxes if you live in a city. Otherwise only the county tax applies. Just realize that the cities typically provide additional services so its not a full free ride.
In any event, don't let a tax burden be front and center of your decision. Your comments about visiting the area and looking around are excellent ideas. Your target home price will certainly allow you lots of nice options.

Welcome,
Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 10-13-2009 at 06:20 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,998,699 times
From my limited experience, Chapel Hill is not a whole lot cheaper than Long Island - but definitely a friendlier environment!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:08 AM

In Chapel Hill, I can get a house 1/2 the price of my current home that is both substantially nicer, newer and larger.

After calculating my mortgage costs, insurance and utilities it is a huge savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
From my limited experience, Chapel Hill is not a whole lot cheaper than Long Island - but definitely a friendlier environment!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,965,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapelHillOrBust View Post
Without being too long winded we are looking at only Chapel Hill although we fully intend to send our only child to a private school.
. . .

I also understand that taxes vary around Chapel Hill and since we are not going to public school it would be desirable to be in a lower tax location.
Taxes "vary" around Chapel Hill only if you live in one of the small portions of the city that extend either into Chatham County or Durham County. (There may be some other small variations based on fire district also.) Those locations would not be within the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools system. As someone else commented, it would make no sense to live in Chapel Hill, pay the school taxes, and then send your kid to a private school.

That said, if you're looking to spend your money wisely, you can get much more house/land for the same amount of money in many areas around the Triangle than you would pay in Chapel Hill - especially given that public schools are not an issue for you.

As for the two private schools you mentioned, there's been some discussion of them in other threads from time to time - a search should turn them up.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,998,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapelHillOrBust View Post
In Chapel Hill, I can get a house 1/2 the price of my current home that is both substantially nicer, newer and larger.

After calculating my mortgage costs, insurance and utilities it is a huge savings.
Of course you can, but if you currently live in a nice neighborhood on Long Island, I'm assuming you are going to want a high end neighborhood in Chapel Hill.

Average price per sq ft in Chapel Hill is $256 so your 3000 sqft house is going to run around 768K. So that is right in your ballpark if what you are looking for is "average".

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this but take a look at the listing for 520 E Franklin St, Chapel Hill NC 27514 to get an idea of what I am talking about - you could get the same thing in Dix Hills for less.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 AM

I agree that if you want to live next to the university for some reason than the cost per square foot would be high. However, coming from my neighborhood which averages $450 a square foot $256 is still cheap. If you take a look on realtor.com through Chapel Hill communities not right in the town we know that per square foot prices can be substantially less than $256. As for Dix Hills, you couldn't pay me to live there and let's not go into the reasons behind that as they would be too many to list.

However, considering that we are sending our daughter to private school perhaps living just outside the city limits might prove a smarter decision. We just have to make sure we move into a neighborhood that would work well for the entire family and where we will meet people similar to ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
Of course you can, but if you currently live in a nice neighborhood on Long Island, I'm assuming you are going to want a high end neighborhood in Chapel Hill.

Average price per sq ft in Chapel Hill is $256 so your 3000 sqft house is going to run around 768K. So that is right in your ballpark if what you are looking for is "average".

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this but take a look at the listing for 520 E Franklin St, Chapel Hill NC 27514 to get an idea of what I am talking about - you could get the same thing in Dix Hills for less.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,965,096 times
Around $200/sq ft (+/-) will get you very nice new to newish construction in Chapel Hill. For example, check out Claremont (which may technically be in Carrboro).

Moderator cut: No real estate links, please

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-13-2009 at 05:39 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 12:20 PM

66 posts, read 143,697 times
You may actually also want to look at Durham. There are some houses in your price range there, particularly in Hope Valley (beautiful country club there too). If you are sending your child to private school, Durham Academy is excellent - people in Chapel Hill send their kids there too, even though the Chapel Hill schools are the best in the area. There is also a very good Montessori school in Durham (not sure if you are familiar with Montessori schools).

In Chapel Hill, you could look in Meadowmont also for house, a newer, but nice community - less woodsy and more like a development. I think that part of that area pays lower taxes because the schools are zoned for Durham, even though it is Chapel Hill. There are also lots of NE transplants in that development - my husband's boss is from NJ and lives there (although he has been here 20 yrs). You could also check out Southern Village, which I think will run you less $ than Meadowmont.

I have to mention though, the job market is not great down here right now. My husband's job is very secure, and I am staying hom with my baby, but if I were looking for a job, it could probably take me a while to find something.

You can feel free to send me a direct message, but let me warn you, I am from Dix Hills Not sure why you have that feeling about it - I went to a good high school in Commack. When I grew up there, it was mostly woods and farms and had very little traffic - sure that has changed now.

Also, the population and culture down here are very different from Long Island - you may feel like an outsider, at least at first, even though that is what you are trying to leave behind. The area is filled with transplants, intellectuals, and people who have an open and progressive attitude, but it is still the South and there is a more conservative attitude overall.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,855,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2durham View Post
Also, the population and culture down here are very different from Long Island - you may feel like an outsider, at least at first, even though that is what you are trying to leave behind. The area is filled with transplants, intellectuals, and people who have an open and progressive attitude, but it is still the South and there is a more conservative attitude overall.
There are plenty of native Southerners here who are "intellectual", "open", and "progressive", too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary