Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 PM

41 posts, read 111,242 times

Advertisements

Really want to move. Currently reside in Hampton Roads, Virginia. been here all my life and hate it. Of the places we are condsidering (Knoxville, Raleigh and Charlotte areas), we have briefly visited all three. Knoxville was very pretty, but seemed a little run down in areas. It appeared that the economy was very bad there. You could get a lot of house for the money though. Charlotte, I have been to 4 times now. I'm a HUGE Carolina Panthers fan. Always liked the area and felt the peolple were really nice. Seems like the schools are not as good and not as good of a place to raise a family as the Raleigh area. Last weekend, after doing a lot of housing/ community research, we visited Clayton and Garner. We really loved it. Again, I was amazed at how we were treated so kindly in NC. People always ask for specifics, so here it is. The reason I hate where I live is because it is becoming increasing rude and growing crime. I remember a time when someone would hold a door open for you, let you pull out in traffic and give you eye contact when they spoke to you. That no longer exists here. The schools are bad. I graduated High School in the early 90s from a violent school and I learned more of what I could buy from who and for how much than anything else. I'm sure it has not gotten better. I'm tired of hearing sirens and gunshots all the time. I now have the responsilbility of raising a family of my own. I have a 5yr old girl and a 3yr old boy. I try real hard to teach them respect, manners and morals. When they leave the house I want that to be echoed instead of spinning my wheels. I guess I'm asking if you can help me decide if this is the right place for me. I am a journeyman electrician with mostly residential experience. My wife is a RN in Labor and Delivery. The pay here is 17% below the national average. Does anyone know how the job market is for electricians? We need to work near urban enviroments for our careers, but want to live outside of the city. I am looking for a newer construction 2 story home with 4 bed 2.5 bath on around.5 acres in a nice family oriented neighborhood. I would like to keep it around $200. We want to be somewhere quiet, but where our kids can have friends in the neighborhood to play and great schools. What is there to do in the Raleigh area if you have kids? Can we make it in that area? In Clayton, we really liked the Flowers Plantation area. It seemed like housing was in a wide range of prices, but still the same nice community. We also like the Tuscany subdivision off Rt 42 in Clayton, but it looked like the building has stopped. Looking to move into a new home next June after baby girl's kindergarten is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 11:25 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,115,252 times
Things are changing everywhere.

I've noticed it's become increasingly difficult to change lanes here or merge into traffic. It didn't used to be that way. People act like you've done something wrong. (And I'm a big proponent of using one's turn signals. I always use turn signals.)

I've also noticed people don't always hold doors like they used to, either. I've always held them for everyone. If someone is 15 feet away, I'll wait for them. So when I'm right behind someone who doesn't hold the door, it does cheese me off.

Fortunately, most people here still seem to look you in the eye.

Quote:
I remember a time when someone would hold a door open for you, let you pull out in traffic and give you eye contact when they spoke to you.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:32 AM

4,480 posts, read 11,635,072 times
Quote:
Does anyone know how the job market is for electricians?
There were two electricians doing a bit of work at my house earlier this week as part of a deck project. I asked if things were pretty slow for their company and the answer was "yes, very." They also mentioned that of the contractors they work with, the one doing my deck was the only one with jobs lined up back-to-back (I had to wait ~6 weeks for my project).

Construction was hit really hard here.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:13 AM

122 posts, read 442,541 times
You sound exactly like me! We moved here from Memphis, and I was excited at the prospect of good public schools. I also want my kids to have manners and to be respectful. I have to say, I was surprised at how few children I have come across that have them. I'm sure it's because none of them are "southern" and that is just something I have to get used to. We are big on "yes ma'am" and "no sir" at our house. For the most part, people look at me like I'm from outer space when I remind my children to say these things!
Anyway, moving on...statistically the schools in Clayton are better than Garner, which is why we chose Clayton. We are also in Flowers Plantation, and I like it pretty well. If I sound negative, it's probably just because I am a little homesick. I think, once I get the "lay of the land", we'll be happy here.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:20 AM

174 posts, read 407,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djenk4 View Post
...I am a journeyman electrician with mostly residential experience. My wife is a RN in Labor and Delivery....
Some professions are going really badly here; so I always focus these things on what you do; and with these two professions, you will do well here; it may be slow in your business for some period, but your wife will be fine pretty much from arrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary