Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,622 times

Advertisements

We have a 15 year old daugther who just started 10th grade at Clayton High, she would kill me if she knew I posted this but I am trying to introduce her to some of the local kids, we have mostly boys in the plat we moved into.

She is smart, funny, athletic, loves Twilight, music and reading is her all time favorite thing to do.

Some of the girls have been mean already which I understand happens in High Schools everywhere but I would appreciate any Mom who might mention that it is a very hard adjustment to start a new school.

It would have been nice if the school would implement a new student committee, other kids could show the new student around and introduce them to a few people.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, she isn't playing sports until the Winter so we missed that opportunity to meet other kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,334 times
The Clayton Parks and Recreation office may hove some teen oriented programs.

Also, our Martial Arts School has a couple of students from Clayton High who regularly attend classes. Take a look at our website for more details.

[URL="http://www.revolutionselfdefense.com"]www.revolutionselfdefense.com[/URL]

Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 PM

431 posts, read 1,339,738 times
Where in Clayton are u? We moved here from Long Island this past January.....I have a 14, 11, 6 year old boys.....We unfortunately had to up them right in the middle of the year....the oldest went to Archer Lodge......but is in 9th at Clayton now.

He was terrified at first......he slowly made friends.....he had such a comfort back home on sports teams and knowing kids for years.....He didnt try out for any sports at first....

Now he's become best friends with my next door neighbor who is the same age and they are like beavis and butthead....no joke....and has a group of 8 boys in the development across the road from us that have become close.......he also spent all summer training for the jv soccer team which got him introduced to kids earlier than the school year and made the team......

Unfortunately u cant always wait for others to approach u......tell her to atleast try to say hi or start up a conversation with atleast 2 kids a day.....I'm sure others may be just as uncomfortable as her or scared.....

Our experience here with the move was actually welcoming....it seems where we are almost everyone is from somewhere else so being the new kid is no biggie.....they were all for the most part welcoming since not to long ago they were in the same place.......give it time....tell your daughter to be herself , feel other kids out....but maybe step out of the box alittle and as I said like I told my 11 year old who is shy and not so self assured as my 14 yr old.....if you just try and push yourself out of your comfort area and just say hi to atleast 2 kids aday or have some small conversation you'll have someone respond and you'll also learn how to comfortably approach others.....

Hey I had to do just that here when we moved .......I had one person I knew when we got here besides my husband.....I just started talking to neighbors and had complete neighbor/ strangers coming over for weekend get togethers and introducing themselves as they walked in the door.....I figured we had to meet people somehow.....so why not be open and say why dont ya stop by....now we have a nice group of families who get together almost every Sat night....parents and kids and we've had a great time.........just remember everything takes time.......

Old 08-29-2009, 06:31 AM

223 posts, read 567,484 times
She should try to join a few clubs- not sure if you went to new student orientation but there are definitely good clubs to join where she could meet other kids. The Key club is good (community service/leadership), Relay for Life, FCA (fellowship for christian athletes), and many others. There is a whole tab on the Clayton High website that has info on most of the clubs including the dates for the first meeting. It is also a good idea for her to get involved in some of these clubs in prep for applying to college and possibly honor society if she is headed that way. High school football and basketball games (and others I am sure but this is all I have personally experienced) is another idea- Clayton high usually plays football on Friday nights and they have a huge stuident section called the Comet Crazies which is a ton of fun for the kids. Also, many of the churches around here have very active youth groups. Church involvement is huge here in NC. We go to one church but my son also does a ton of things with a friend's church youth group (trips, etc) which has been a good way to meet other kids. I think it is tougher moving into a new high school for a girl than a boy. I am curious where you moved from?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 AM

62 posts, read 258,775 times
I think some of the other suggestions given are great. As the previous poster said, joining some clubs is a good way to meet other students. The Key club, Relay for Life, Comet Crazies, and Interact are ALL great for meeting and working with other students.

My daughter is also a Sophmore at Clayton High, and she seems to have some things in common with your daughter. If you want to pm me, we can see if they have any classes together...

Good luck :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary