Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 11:45 PM

201 posts, read 1,003,335 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows of a place in Wake Forest that collects used newspapers to recycle, and allows people to stop by to get coupon inserts from them? I hope this doesn't sound crazy but I read another post by someone who had that in her town (not near me) and she went and got the unused coupons. I'm sure there's lots of people in my town who get the Sunday paper and don't bother with using coupons and would prefer that the coupons get used (and the newspaper recycled) rather than tossed in the trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 11:49 PM

646 posts, read 2,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadjalou View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows of a place in Wake Forest that collects used newspapers to recycle, and allows people to stop by to get coupon inserts from them? I hope this doesn't sound crazy but I read another post by someone who had that in her town (not near me) and she went and got the unused coupons. I'm sure there's lots of people in my town who get the Sunday paper and don't bother with using coupons and would prefer that the coupons get used (and the newspaper recycled) rather than tossed in the trash.
Wake Forest has curb side recycling include in our garbage pick up fees....I would assume that most use it and don't just toss the paper in the actual 'trash'.

Really....if you want the coupons, buy the paper.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Maybe you can join one of the mommy discussion groups and see if anyone would share with you if they lived in Wake Forest. Maybe there are coupon-sharing groups.

Or just sign up with all the stores' websites and save that way:

http://www.foodlion.com/ShoppingTools/Coupons.asp

http://www.lowesfoods.com/content/WeeklySpecials.cfm (broken link)

Or suggest to a Wake Forest downtown shop that they use their place for coupon swap ...a coffee shop or something. http://www.wakeforestcoffee.com/

Old 08-24-2009, 04:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadjalou View Post
I have seen people literally crawling into the dumpsters at drop-off recycling places--I suspect this is what you've heard about? There are signs posted about not scavenging, but I frequently will see women (it's always women, for some reason) doing this at the recycling drop off place I go to. Really, save your dignity and fork out a couple of bucks for the paper! Barring that, just ask friends of yours who subscribe to save you their coupons. I doubt very much that there is an actual organized place that exists just for the purpose you inquire about.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Uh, the OP said there was such a place. Elsewhere. Probably not a dumpster.

It would be a good thing to have at a library. People could drop off their coupons.

I'm not a coupon saver, but if you have kids (especially babies), coupons are worthwhile. If you can save a few bucks every week on diapers, it adds up.

If you don't read the paper (and fewer people do these days), it's not really worth it to subscribe just for coupons. It's not just the price, but the bother of recycling it when you don't even read it.

It's always women because women are the ones who usually shop (and scrimp) for their families.

For many people, saving $10 a week is nothing. But for others, especially those in minimum wage jobs, it's the equivalent of two hours of work (and probably not fun work) after taxes. In those terms, it's well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I have seen people literally crawling into the dumpsters at drop-off recycling places--I suspect this is what you've heard about? There are signs posted about not scavenging, but I frequently will see women (it's always women, for some reason) doing this at the recycling drop off place I go to. Really, save your dignity and fork out a couple of bucks for the paper! Barring that, just ask friends of yours who subscribe to save you their coupons. I doubt very much that there is an actual organized place that exists just for the purpose you inquire about.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 08-24-2009 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary