Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,467,930 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm a little frustrated right now and I'm hoping someone on this forum may have some answers.

I live in Durham and will be moving into my house later this year. Before I move in I want to paint some of the walls, but I'm not sure what color scheme I want to use. I watch a lot of design shows on TV (Designed to Sell, HGTV Design Star, Divine Design, Save our Bath, etc.) and notice the designers have a little book that has all the paint samples in it. I found out the book is called a fan deck by surfing the Internet, so decided to go to Lowe's and ask about it. I went to the Lowe's in North Durham and they told me the book was not available for sale in the stores; I had to go online. I went online to the Lowe's web site and the book seemed reasonable at $5.98, but the shipping was outrageous at $6.95! I've since gone to the Home Depot in North Durham (they don't sell it) and Sherwin-Williams on 70 (I called and they said they sold them, but when I got there they only had the paint samples all the other stores have) to no avail.

Is there anywhere in the Triangle I can get a fan deck? If not, my solution is to go to whichever store I plan to get my paint and pull all the samples. That's a bit much, considering I don't have an idea of which colors I want to use.

Photo of Fan Deck

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uima...bmpaintfan.jpg

Thanks!

Sena

Last edited by autumngal; 06-22-2009 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: copyright issues, please post link only to images you do not own, ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 AM

757 posts, read 2,085,625 times
I was in the same situation you are in just 2 years ago. I gave up and went with the BM pottery barn colors and they are great! This is what I used:

1. Barley in the Kitchen: a very neutral yellow. Not bright at all.
2. Living area and hallway: Greenbrier Beige. GREAT color and goes really good with manchester tan as trim. Greenbrier is a darker tan with no pink undertone. It's not too dark, just the right color. Could be too dark in a room without much sunlight.
3. Misted green in the bathroom: love, love, love this color! A very neutral blue green color.
4. Shanandoah Taupe: master bedroom. Again love this color! It is a very cool neutral. Looks taupe/grey at night and soft grey/beige in the day.
5. Shaker beige: 2 guest bedrooms. A lighter tan than greenbrier with no pink undertone. Probably the equivalent to a builder beige.

All of the above are neutral colors and are great for resale, but are also great because you can change your decor often with these colors. Also I've heard that bittersweet chocolate by BM is a great dark chocolate color if you want some drama. I will use all of the paint colors in a new house one day because these don't really go out of style and I have not gotten tired of them at all.
I can't seem to post photos on here, but if you want me to email you pics of the colors on the wall, you can DM me.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 AM

154 posts, read 389,818 times
I am looking to paint my house and went to the Sherwin Williams store in Cary. One of the people there offered to let me borrow one of their decks, rather than pulling a bunch of samples. I will return it once we choose the colors we want.

Try a different SW store maybe?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM

22 posts, read 41,786 times
If I were you, I would just pay the extra 7 bucks and relax. A search that may be ultimately futile is not worth the wasted time and gas money. I understand "the principle of the thing," but this doesn't really seem like a worthy battle. Enjoy your new home!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,687,497 times
Yeah, I think I bought mine from the Sherwin Williams store.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,590,041 times
$13 dollars is too much for one? They are big and heavy. I ship stuff all the time and 6 bux is not a lot for shipping a one off item.

If you can find out when the paint rep for your stores location is in you might be able to beg one off them. I know most of the home improvement chains have outside paint reps that visit the store on a regular basis (depending on the amount of business). They are usually the ones that handle the chips and displays.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
$13 dollars is too much for one? They are big and heavy. I ship stuff all the time and 6 bux is not a lot for shipping a one off item.

If you can find out when the paint rep for your stores location is in you might be able to beg one off them. I know most of the home improvement chains have outside paint reps that visit the store on a regular basis (depending on the amount of business). They are usually the ones that handle the chips and displays.
$6.95 is too much for them to ship it to the store and have me go pick it up. If it's going to the store anyway, why not just charge me the $5.98 and call it good? Especially when you consider it won't be the only thing they send in the shipment. I don't even have the option of having it shipped to my home, or I wouldn't balk at paying the shipping (though logically it doesn't make sense to pay more for shipping than the item costs).

Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamtap View Post
I am looking to paint my house and went to the Sherwin Williams store in Cary. One of the people there offered to let me borrow one of their decks, rather than pulling a bunch of samples. I will return it once we choose the colors we want.

Try a different SW store maybe?
Thanks! I'll see if I can't go to another store and get better results.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,111,297 times
While they may not have fan decks, you should check out Common Grounds Green Building Center on Geer Street in Durham. They carry the best paint I've ever used - Yolo Colorhouse. It has zero VOC and goes on incredibly well. They also have Mythic paint w/ no VOC; its a good paint but I still prefer the Yolo. Paul, the owner, is incredibly nice and helpful. He's let us take the big poster-sized samples home to check colors and we return them when we buy the paint.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
While they may not have fan decks, you should check out Common Grounds Green Building Center on Geer Street in Durham. They carry the best paint I've ever used - Yolo Colorhouse. It has zero VOC and goes on incredibly well. They also have Mythic paint w/ no VOC; its a good paint but I still prefer the Yolo. Paul, the owner, is incredibly nice and helpful. He's let us take the big poster-sized samples home to check colors and we return them when we buy the paint.
Thanks! I'll have to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary