Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,563 times

Advertisements

My advice is don't worry about it so much. Decide on a color family and grab the little cards at Home Depot. You will stress for hours over the slightest differences in colors, but in a year it will just be "Beige" or "Sage" to you...

If it's THAT important to you to get this "just exactly right" then $6 to me is such a ridiculously small sum of money to stress over for a $400k house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,643 times
The Sherwin Williams in Cary (it was over by Crossroads, but is now closed and over on Maynard/Kildaire) let me borrow theirs.

I think it is complete overload. Way too many colors. I then borrowed their smaller deck which featured their new/newer colors and used that to narrow shades down. From there I bought quart sized samples ($5) and put large squares of each on the walls to see what they looked like. On the wall, the colors look totally different than in the decks or swatches (lookes lighter on the wall), but if placed up against he paint, you can see that they are indeed the same color and shade. I guess my point is, you don't know what the color looks like until you get it on the wall.

And like others have said, whats a few bucks when paying $200+ for paint.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,612 times
I had a rep from Do it Best use some pictures from my house to virtual paint it. That was way easier than chips and test quarts of paint.

http://doitbest.com/Tapes+and+Casset...sku-796263.dib

I think that is what they used.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
$6.95 is too much for them to ship it to the store and have me go pick it up. If it's going to the store anyway, why not just charge me the $5.98 and call it good? Especially when you consider it won't be the only thing they send in the shipment. I don't even have the option of having it shipped to my home, or I wouldn't balk at paying the shipping (though logically it doesn't make sense to pay more for shipping than the item costs).
Yeah I agree I thought it was to send it to your house, if you need to pick it up at the store it should be free shipping, they send box's of paint chips to the store all the time.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,521 times
These are the pics that show our BM paint colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan Deck-dsc02293.jpg   Fan Deck-dsc02297.jpg   Fan Deck-dsc02303.jpg   Fan Deck-dsc02299.jpg   Fan Deck-dsc02323.jpg  

Old 06-10-2009, 01:44 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Yeah, I think I bought mine from the Sherwin Williams store.
I know I paid about $10 for one last year at the SW store on Kildaire. But after dealing with the overwhelming # of choices, I've decided to just browse the ready-picked-out combinations they have at the home improvement stores; I figure professionals with color theory & design education might yield better results than me just picking what appeals to me that day.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
These are the pics that show our BM paint colors.
Your colors look very nice. I like that they're neutral and will appeal to everyone.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
While they may not have fan decks, you should check out Common Grounds Green Building Center on Geer Street in Durham. They carry the best paint I've ever used - Yolo Colorhouse. It has zero VOC and goes on incredibly well.
I like Yolo for those reasons AND the fact that there is not a bizzillion colors so it's easier for me to decide and find things that go together. Devine Paint is very similar to Yolo in quality, price, & philosophy. And you can purchase Devine Paint in Durham.

I have purchased color fans in the past from paint stores in Oregon. Sherwin Williams and Miller (a PNW paint store). There decks were $9.95 and up.
One last thing, I found the color decks to be too hard to use.... too many choices for me. I bought them for the same reason, all those darn HGTV shows. But I do much better w/ the limited colors of Devine, Yolo, & Pottery Barn.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,867 times
I was speaking to a coworker and she told me her daughter is an interior designer and could get me a fan deck. Her daughter went to Sherwin-Williams and was able to get me a fan deck. So now I'm a happy camper!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:16 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,069 times
I wouldn't paint your walls for the first year you are in there, you're going to get all kinds of cracking and nail pops and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary