Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times

Advertisements

There is a relatively new 02 fitness gym where Falls of Neuse intersects I-540. I am interested in possibly joining this Gym since it is so close to my house (and I need to get in shape!). I plan to visit and take advantage of their 7 day trial period but I would love to hear what current members think of the place. Do they have plenty of equipment? Does it get crowded after work? What are the fees like? Do you pay extra for special classes or are they included in the monthly fee? Right now they are offering a $1 sign up. How much is the sign up fee regularly? Any ifo would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
I am looking for a good priced gym in N Raleigh ....so let us know what you think.
I want a monthly fee with no contract if anyone does that.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 AM

66 posts, read 129,318 times
My wife and I belong. So far, I have yet to be there when it is very crowded. I have gone after work and on Saturdays. Never had trouble getting a machine.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:44 AM

234 posts, read 822,628 times
I would checkout the YMCA near Six Forks and 540. It is a great place and wont pressure you to join.

http://www.ymcatriangle.org/A.E._Finley_YMCA.aspx

John

Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
I go to the one in Cary and love it. I assume it's probably the same set up or very similar. They have plenty of equipment (I've NEVER had to wait for anything).
They do have some classes that cost extra like spinning I think, and then they have regular classes that are part of the package.
It's very clean, very classy, most of the people that work in the one in Cary are polite and helpful.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:25 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNC View Post
I would checkout the YMCA near Six Forks and 540. It is a great place and wont pressure you to join.

YMCA-A.E. Finley YMCA

John
John, I live almost walking distance to there and am getting tired of Gold's, where I've belonged for a decade. Can you tell me what you pay for the YMCA, either publically or PM? And whether you have a "network" privilege to use the one downtown as well?

Re: O2 Fitness--someone told me they only have like 3 showers? That sounds inordinately small; I go before work in the AM and waiting in line for a shower is not something I'd care to do very often. Granted, i don't remember which O2 they were referring to.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:24 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,486 times
I have 2 friends that go to that specific O2 and both love it. They also both pay extra for personal trainers (at least I assume they pay extra, I've never specifically asked) and are happy with them as well.

Triangle YMCA is $42.50/month to utilize all YMCA's in the triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, etc.). I don't know that the going rate is for only one YMCA or what the joining fee is.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I go to the one in Cary and love it. I assume it's probably the same set up or very similar. They have plenty of equipment (I've NEVER had to wait for anything).
They do have some classes that cost extra like spinning I think, and then they have regular classes that are part of the package.
It's very clean, very classy, most of the people that work in the one in Cary are polite and helpful.
I go to the Cary Y as well - just joined at the beginning of February. I don't think the spin classes cost extra - you just have to sign up the day before due to limited space. I've just been doing weight training so far and haven't gone to any classes. There is a very full schedule to choose from though.

Everyone is super nice there as well. I'd say the only downside is it can get a little crazy and loud with the after school programs for kids. I only really notice it when I'm on the cardio equipment and kids are playing/running/yelling in the gym down below. Not really a big deal, although sometimes I wish it was a teeny bit quieter!

My membership for just the Cary location is $37.60/month and I took advantage of the half price initiation deal they had at the beginning of the year.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
I don't know about the showers at that specific one. They have several showers in the women's room but I hardly ever see anyone using them (even though they look really nice and huge!)
The personal trainers are extra and I think they're probably really good (based on observation and listening to other members). Plus many of them have been there for years, which is a positive IMO. I know one of them personally at the one in Cary and she has a PhD in Exercise Physiology and has taught at Meredith College for years (she was my gym instructor when I went to college there!). She sort of specializes in older women, so I'm not recommending her for your needs NRG, but I think her background and dedication to the field speaks volumes to the kind of trainers they hire!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 AM

234 posts, read 822,628 times
Pricing is on the page below. That pricing is just for the one YMCA. I have seen on the site somewhere mentioning pricing for multiple Y's, but I am not sure what it is. They recently had a 50% off the joining fee sale. I am not sure if that is still available, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

YMCA-A.E. Finley YMCA-Membership

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
John, I live almost walking distance to there and am getting tired of Gold's, where I've belonged for a decade. Can you tell me what you pay for the YMCA, either publically or PM? And whether you have a "network" privilege to use the one downtown as well?

Re: O2 Fitness--someone told me they only have like 3 showers? That sounds inordinately small; I go before work in the AM and waiting in line for a shower is not something I'd care to do very often. Granted, i don't remember which O2 they were referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary