Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are there sections of Falls of The Neuse Road (Like around the intersection at Millbrook Road) where the lanes in the road seem incredibly narrow. I fee like the cars are right on top of each other. This is the only road I have experienced this on in the Triangle. Anybody else ever notice that! IT drives me crazy...I used to think it was just in my head, but my wife mentioned it to me as well just the other day.... maybe we are both crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 01:49 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
NRG,
I got used to it years ago. They needed lanes and couldn't stand the whole right of way acquisition process(imagine the cost) so they squeezed the width to the minimum.
It is a little cozy, isn't it.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
I've always noticed it.
Actually it starts as that way while its still called "Wake Forest Road", just above the beltline, and stays very narrow all the way up to just a little below Spring Forest.

From what I've been told, they basically increased the number of lanes without actually widening the road!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Thanks guys....I was afraid I may have been imagining it. I guess I am not crazy after all! It is kind of the opposite of what happened in the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer "Adopts a Highway" and repaints the lines in the road turning a 4-lane highway into a two lane highway with "Wide Lanes"!

I wonder if they will do the same narrow lane thing with the proposed widening of Falls of the Neuse north of Raven Ridge Road.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:14 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Yea...I'm always scared driving down this road. I'm always thinking I'm going to bump up against the person next to me. So I usually drive half on the center turn lane . And I drive a small car....I can't imagine driving a Hummer down this road .

I remember a story on WRAL about this, where they asked the guy 'in charge' of this road why it was like this, and he was practically offended by the question, and was adamant that it met minimum guidelines (personally, I don't know how it could possibly meet guidelines). I think the guy was just upset because he probably gets the question alot. Honestly, I wish they would turn it back into 2 lanes each direction, since the 3 lanes are not effectively used anyway because you cannot safely fit 3 cars side-by-side on that road.

Some other neat facts...

The official name of the road is "Falls of Neuse", not "Falls of the Neuse".

Because of the existince of Falls Lake, there is no longer any falls on the Neuse. There used to be falls by the current location of the dam.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:46 PM

28 posts, read 81,907 times
HAHAHAAH you should have seen us trying to get our Uhaul down this stretch of road. It was so funny. Everyone was mad at us. Oh well. That is what they get for taking a two lane highway and turning it into 3 lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary