Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 21,954 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

We're torn between N Raleigh and SW Durham (specifically SouthPoint area). Seems this forum has lots to say on N Raleigh, any comments on this area of Durham? Particularly when it comes to resale and appreciation.

The realtors we've talked to are either Raleigh OR Durham based (or biased, should I say?). To us, seems like two similar areas.

We'd be looking at homes that rank very closely in terms of cost, size, age, etc. We are looking at purchasing a newer townhouse or older SFH (seems thats our price range here). We've lived in Charlotte previously, and are pretty new to Raleigh.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 05:17 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I think there are a couple of differences in the areas, and it really does depend on where you are thinking of purchasing in north raleigh. SW durham is definitely a new area for people to live in, the mall came into being in 2002, at that time the homes started popping up as well. I don't know if you can really judge appreciation factors in that area simply because it is so new. The schools, from what I have heard from friends, are good, and they seem to enjoy them. For us, the reason we decided against that area was it didn't have that "hometown" feel to us, as in there wasn't neighborhood hangouts (because it was close to the mall, and people came to the mall from all over the place), the property taxes were higher, the schools were not ranked as highly was wake county schools. Those were only OUR reasons, others could probably disagree!

North raleigh, well, it depends on where in north raleigh you are talking about. I like most of the area, but there is a big difference between the north hills area and the bedford area. Not a big difference as in one is better than the other, simply they are different. I feel like north raleigh definitely has its subareas that makes for nice neighborhood communities with amenities that support those different communities. The area just gives me a more homey feel than the southpointe area.

Those are just my thoughts........

Leigh

Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
I often think of Durham as reverse of Raleigh in some ways. Raleigh's shiny new suburban areas are predominately to the north while its more basic working-class side is to the south. For Durham, it's opposite: South is where you'll find the shiny new suburban areas, and the north is where you'll find the basic working class side.

So long story short, South Durham is simply becoming the next North Raleigh.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:55 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I was over on Grandale today, and homes are popping up for sure.
I saw a mix of homes up to the $500,000 range, and also see a great location.
Mall, Durham, Jordan Lake, short run over to HWY 55. Seems like a good deal to me.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:26 PM

405 posts, read 1,769,873 times
I live down the street from Southpoint mall.

We bought a 3BR 2.5 BA starter home (built in '89) in an established subdivision 3 years ago for about 150K. We plan to sell next spring. Per my realtor, if we were to put it on the market today, he'd price it at $215. Not bad, IMO. We love the location.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:32 PM

405 posts, read 1,769,873 times
I'm no realtor, but I also believe that the appreciation would be MUCH greater with a SFH than a townhouse. Especially in south Durham, townhomes are popping up like crazy... We actually thought about selling and moving to one (for less maintenance and a garage), but our realtor advised STRONGLY against it given that we'll be leaving NC within the next year or two and appreciation of all the new townhomes is rather uncertain.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:14 PM

157 posts, read 617,137 times
I live in an area called Hope Valley that is very close to the mall (5-10 minutes from the mall). I myself live in a townhome endunit in Elm Grove, a fairly new development that is still finishing up on some units...I have met lots of people from my community from all over the place as we all seem to be transplant coming together for the same reasons...Everyone I've met is really nice, friendly, and courteous...The area is beautiful for walks, biking, running and very safe as I've seen women running by themselves after dark...I love the location as it is close to my job, a bike ride away from downtown Durham, bike ride away from the shopping near the mall, very close to Chapel Hill which I visit often, and about 20 minutes from Raleigh...I would say it is very central to what the Triangle area has to offer opposed to North Raleigh where it is kind of away from the places I mentioned...it is your personal preference but I as well as any realtor says, location, location, location...I would estimate that in about 5 years, once the downtown Durham area is flourishing at it peak, or pretty close to it (revitalization there is set to go at a fast pace), most areas in Durham that are close to downtown will benefit greatly in appreciation...I am pretty confident that the re-sale value of my place, because of it's location in relation to RTP, and all other areas, amongst many other reasons, will increase at a great rate...

Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 21,954 times
Default Thanks elnene2k

We have been looking in Hope Valley.

When you bought your townhouse, did you get any specifics on resale? I don't mean to inquire as to what you paid for your house, but rather how they compare to traditional SFHs and/or how you can determine the type of townhouse (or community its in) which yields more favorable terms. Again, I'm not familiar with the market here, but the market I'm from they typically did not appreciate to the extent of the SFHs. Usually, they were seen in the outlying areas whereas here they are mixed well into communities. Mostly, I like the larger square footage and knowing I can escape mowing.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 40,086 times
Have you looked at the Woodcroft area in SW durham?
map: http://tinyurl.com/3arqfj (broken link) -- all those roads snaking off of the parkway are considered part of 'Woodcroft'
Homes from the 80s-- lots of trees and a really nice paved trail system for jogging/walking/biking. Really convenient to I40, the mall, etc. We live in the Fortune's Ridge subdivision and really love it.

The realtor 'bias' is probably just due to their geographic location-- much simpler to show homes closer to where they work-- and they'd have a better sense of the different neighborhoods.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:32 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
I live in an area called Hope Valley that is very close to the mall (5-10 minutes from the mall). I myself live in a townhome endunit in Elm Grove, a fairly new development that is still finishing up on some units...I have met lots of people from my community from all over the place as we all seem to be transplant coming together for the same reasons...Everyone I've met is really nice, friendly, and courteous...The area is beautiful for walks, biking, running and very safe as I've seen women running by themselves after dark...I love the location as it is close to my job, a bike ride away from downtown Durham, bike ride away from the shopping near the mall, very close to Chapel Hill which I visit often, and about 20 minutes from Raleigh...I would say it is very central to what the Triangle area has to offer opposed to North Raleigh where it is kind of away from the places I mentioned...it is your personal preference but I as well as any realtor says, location, location, location...I would estimate that in about 5 years, once the downtown Durham area is flourishing at it peak, or pretty close to it (revitalization there is set to go at a fast pace), most areas in Durham that are close to downtown will benefit greatly in appreciation...I am pretty confident that the re-sale value of my place, because of it's location in relation to RTP, and all other areas, amongst many other reasons, will increase at a great rate...
Well said. I would say that Durham would have a better increase in value in the years to come b/c of its proximity to RTP and the Airport. Also, housing values are still a little lower b/c of the bad publicity Durham has gotten over the years, but with all the revitilzation beginning to happen downtown, and the rich diverse history Durham has, I would expect a big rise in it's overall property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary