Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times

Advertisements

I was in Wake Forest today and decided to poke my head into The Factory to see what it was all about. It seems like a pretty interesting place with a combo of shops, a few family type restaurants, and various recreational facilities (YMCA, Indoor Soccer, Skate Board Park, Ice Rink ect..). As would be expected it seemed to be a popular place for families with kids. I didn't realize there was an ice rink there. It seemed like a popular destination based on all the people in line at the ice skate rental counter and on the ice. There are two rinks and I managed to catch a few minutes of a hockey game going on in one of them. Not sure if it was a rec league or two local High Schools playing, but those kids looked good out there. I wish I could skate like that.

Here are a few pictures of the "Ice House" in The Factory.

Skating on the Rink

Hockey Game going on in Rink #2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
. I wish I could skate like that.
Take lessons! They have adult classes in both figure skating and hockey. It's a great place. My daughter has skated there for going on 3 years now.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:52 PM

716 posts, read 1,040,700 times
Awesome. You're giving me an excuse to dust off my old hockey skates! Haven't skated in five years. Isn't there a rink (or two) in Raleigh?- and one in Cary also???

Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,948 times
I just wish they had more bleachers (and more comfortable ones!)

Old 01-18-2009, 03:24 PM

716 posts, read 1,040,700 times
Decent. Just got to thinkin' -- I need to sell my old hockey pads, gloves and gear (not using it anymore). I'll plan to bring flyers when I visit this rink- perhaps they'll let me post a lil ad re: 'gear for sale'. Craigslist is ALWAYS a winner for that, too I suppose.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,580 times
We love the factory - their friday night kids night out is great - drop off at 6:30, pick up at 9:30 - kiddos get dinner there (pizza), skate, play soccer, batting cages, bball, board games - they are EXHAUSTED when they get home. RYHA plays there, there is a huge tournament at the factory in Feb ( I think) every year, it's just an overall great family location. I love that there are 2 rinks, too - so there is peewee learn to skate as well as ice dance and open skate all at the same time. The windows for observing are also pretty cool.

It's been neat to watch the factory become such a hot spot.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Decent. Just got to thinkin' -- I need to sell my old hockey pads, gloves and gear (not using it anymore). I'll plan to bring flyers when I visit this rink- perhaps they'll let me post a lil ad re: 'gear for sale'. Craigslist is ALWAYS a winner for that, too I suppose.
Post to craigslist -- there are tons of "pick up leagues" that play at the factory, but I can tell you that you'll get more traction on cl -- when my hub was looking for skates so he could bring the boys, that was where he looked first.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:49 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
Personally, I'm not crazy about The Factory. I prefer the Iceplex, because it's a little bigger.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,443 times
The hockey teams you saw were travel teams- the local team was the Junior Hurricanes

Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Personally, I'm not crazy about The Factory. I prefer the Iceplex, because it's a little bigger.
I prefer the staff at The Factory....friendlier. To each there own...but both have regulation rinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary