Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 PM

12 posts, read 30,455 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are very excited to be moving to the Durham area in August! We are looking for a 2-bedroom place under $800/month, that is as safe and quiet as possible.

I have done a lot of apartment/townhome searching on-line, and have narrowed our search to either The Forest or Hawk's Nest (so far, but please let me know if you know of other good ones on a budget). We are also thinking about Ashford Lakes, though it is a bit farther from Duke, where I will be doing my postdoc. Unfortunately, we will not be able to visit prior to choosing our apartment, so we really need advice on whether we should stay away from either or all of these places.

I have read nice things about The Forest, although it appears this complex is a bit old and and some apartments are prone to roaches. I am having trouble finding any information on Hawk's Nest online (except for the very few pictures on the Ticon Properties website). Has anyone had experiences with these places (or heard good or bad things about them)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by myshonok; 05-12-2011 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:31 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,081,021 times
When I moved here in 1982 the first place I lived was the Forest - they were new then
So almost 30 years later I would guess things have changed a bit - but that remains a good, fairly quiet location with easy access to Duke and 15/501.

Welcome,

Frank

Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,151,803 times
I used to live near Forest, from 82 to 84. They were nice apts then, in a good neighborhood. Still good neighborhood, last I know of. I'm sure they have aged, as apts tend to do. About 10 minutes to Duke North or 15 to Duke South. There are 2 public housing projects along Morreene Road, on the way to Duke. Damar Court and Morreene Park. I wouldn't choose that stretch as a walking path, but you have lots of good walking areas there around Forest. I'm not familiar with Hawk's Nest or Ashford Lakes.

Poplar Manor Apts are walking distance to Duke, used to be affordable, they were older. I think some or all have been remodeled. Call 919-383-3830. There are newer apts right along Erwin Road, over shopping centers. I'm sure they are expensive.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,151,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
When I moved here in 1982 the first place I lived was the Forest - they were new then
So almost 30 years later I would guess things have changed a bit - but that remains a good, fairly quiet location with easy access to Duke and 15/501.

Welcome,

Frank
I was just up the road from you, at Morreene West. They were decent apts at the time, but a few rowdy characters in a couple of buildings. Not sure about now. Anyone lived there in recent years or know anyone there? Their # is 919-383-4298.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments!! It looks like not many people have heard good/bad things about Hawk's Nest or Ashford Lakes?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:27 AM

319 posts, read 1,479,129 times
I lived at Hawk's Nest for a couple of years (2004-2006). We loved it. Ticon was always prompt at addressing any service needs. I loved walking my dog along the long stretch of road leading to the townhomes. It certainly is quiet back there. We had some nice neighbors when we lived there. The back patio leading off of the kitchen was peaceful. Hawks Nest is pretty central location in Durham. You are minutes away from Target and the big box stores. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get to Duke. This made it the ideal location for us. We only left because we bought a home in Northern Durham.

I remember renting from Ticon back in 2002 sight unseen. They were very accomodating. We lived at Glennbrook for a few years. We aren't big into rental amenities (pool, clubhouse) therefore those Ticon properties worked for us.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,383 times
I lived at The Forest back in 2003-2004, then moved across the street to Deerfield apartments for 2004-2006. The Forest was okay, not great. I didn't like the fact that they wanted to raise rent by $150 after the first year's lease was up. The buildings were old and appliances were prone to problems. The maintenance was okay, but sometimes need several reminders before they would come and fix it. I didn't experience any crime problems, but my downstairs neighbors got their car broken into. But it's Durham, so no big surprise.

Deerfield was nice, the best thing was the screened in porch. I spent many evenings studying on the porch in the summer. Many of my med school classmates lived in Deerfield, so it was nice to have a bit of company around. One thing I didn't like about the place was the birds. There's a ton of starlings that roost there and they are noisy! Plus they poop all over the cars if you park under some of the bushes. Other than that, I liked Deerfield very much, more so than The Forest.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:53 PM

Thank you all!! It looks like Hawk's Nest will be the winner - it is similarly priced, but newer and cleaner than the other 2. So exciting!!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,017 times
Myshonok, Wondering how you are liking Hawk's Nest...would you do it again? Considering a relocation from Boston to Duke and I'm overwhelmed by all the apartment choices. Any advice you have to share would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary