Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 13,333 times

Advertisements

We just visited the Raleigh area and are looking at moving from Long Island to NC with our three elementary age children this summer. After looking over some areas in Wake county we are afraid that the rapid growth will eventually result in us living in the type of area that we are leaving and many of the new housing complexes had smaller yards than we are looking for. We drove into Johnston county and ended up in the town on Angier. It looked wide open and I think we could get more value for our money...but we don't know anything about the town. We checked out the McGees Landing elementary school and it looked nice from the outside. I checked the county school website but numbers are numbers and don't always tell the real picture. We really need some help as we're are so unfamiliar with the area...anyone have any suggestions about moving outside of Wake county?? We'd like to be close to a big city but still have that rural feeling and raise our kids in a friendly community. I'm a teacher and my husband is a plumber so we're hoping to be able to find jobs too Also my husband is also a boater so we'd like to be close to a lake...any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
I've sold quite a few homes in Johnston County, although I live in Wake County. The reason being that you can get more house in that area and definitely more land. Also...my husband relocated his office from Raleigh to Garner a couple of years ago, for the same reason...the land in that area was just less expensive. As the office grew and the salaries grew, most of the people in his office wanted larger homes and since they were mostly from Johnston County, we spend alot of time in the area.

As for the McGees Crossroads Schools, I have a very good friend that lived in that area. She loved those schools. She has two boys and was a substitute there. Also, the Polenta school has always been good.

Check out both Angier and Benson. Thats the area around McGees Crossroads. Yes, its rural but getting more developed. And, its a short distance to the outlet mall in Smithfield!

Hope this helps!

Vicki

Old 03-03-2007, 06:38 AM

214 posts, read 702,179 times
I think Angier is in Hartnett County. We just bought a car in Angier- it is very rural. McGee's is in Johnston County. You could look at the different county school systems as you start looking at towns to help you decide if that school might be right for your children. I am sure you would have no trouble finding a teaching job or your husband finding something in plumbing. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:12 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
Actually, part of Angier is in Johnston County.

If you do a search in Johnston County, you'll have to narrow down exactly where you want to be as you'll get some listings that have a Kenly or Smithfield address and thats really a bit further from Wake county than most of my clients want to be.

I'm just saying...don't eliminate an address if it says "Benson" because thats part of Johnston County. I sold two homes in Dessert Pines, which is in the McGees Crossroads area but still in Johnston County.

My parents live in Johnston County but have a Garner address! Go figure!

Vicki

Old 03-03-2007, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 11,155 times
Default You will love it here

BSing,

There are not going to be the lake access that you guys are use too, however, there are a couple of small lakes in the Raleigh area. Don't forget you can get to the ocean in about 2 1/2 hours.

You guys will not have a problem at all getting jobs! The cost of living will be a huge change (especially when it comes to taxes); so don't forget to consider that when you see your salary change.

I'm actually selling a house in Johnston County, but its closer to the city (Raleigh) than the area that you are looking. I love Johnston County and as a born "Northerner" I'll tell you the reason that my wife and I chose to live here vs. Wake County.

As far as the schools most people will tell you that Wake County Schools are better, however, I have a bit different prospective. I would have to agree that Wake County School's have better academic numbers, but the following were more important to me!

REASSIGNMENT, meaning the parents in Wake County have to worry about their kids getting reassigned every year, which is terrible for children (no security). Wake County is very political and the school system illustrates that. I worked in a Wake County School as a School Resource Officer for a number of years and witnessed many things that made me come to the conclusion; I would never send my children to Wake County Schools.

SAFTEY, I could not refute the academic numbers, but the schools in Wake County are more violent and tend have more reported criminal violations. Again based on my experience!

COURTIOUS, People are so courteous in Johnston County. The only way I can describe it is this, I use to live in the "rat race" where you seldom spoke to people around you (grocery store ect) and people were just not very nice to one another.

I can go out in the City of Raleigh or Cary (Wake County) and people are just rude as hell!!! Some think it is the amount of Northerners that have moved there, which quite honestly could be a SMALL part of it, but I think it has to do more with the fact there are a lot of wealthy people (Southern and Northern) in those areas.

You will definitely get more house for your money in Johnston County. I have to move for employment reasons, but this area between Garner and Cleveland (40-42 area) is the best of both worlds!

I could write forever on the above topics, but I think that you will love NC regardless of where you move. If you come up on any specific questions, please feel free to contact me and I will help any way that I can. I can imagine how stressful the relocating will be, especially with little ones. Please don't hesitate if you have other questions!!!!!!!

sselvek@nc.rr.com

Old 03-03-2007, 12:10 PM

214 posts, read 702,179 times
I forget about the fuzzy boundaries across different counties. I think the center of Angier was in Hartnett County. I guess parts of Angier are also in Wake County by Willow Springs? I guess what I would consider is if you find schools you like, it makes a difference where your address is. When we were looking in Johnston County, we narrowed the area of our housing search by the schools we wanted our kids to go to.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:13 PM

6 posts, read 13,333 times
Thank you all so much for the information! It sounds like Johnston county may have what we're looking for. Anyone know anything about the proposed outer beltline extension or about any good parks in the area?

Thanks, bsing

Old 03-03-2007, 05:22 PM

5 posts, read 11,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsing View Post
Thank you all so much for the information! It sounds like Johnston county may have what we're looking for. Anyone know anything about the proposed outer beltline extension or about any good parks in the area?

Thanks, bsing
The proposed outer beltline will be about 10 years down the road (well if you add a few to the projected finish). Are you familiar with the Cleveland area or 40/42? There is a couple of parks in Garner Lake Benson (don't get excited, you probably wouldn't put a boat in there) and Centennial Park which is newer, but smaller. Clayton also has a decent park.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 AM

129 posts, read 566,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsing View Post
We really need some help as we're are so unfamiliar with the area...anyone have any suggestions about moving outside of Wake county?? We'd like to be close to a big city but still have that rural feeling and raise our kids in a friendly community.
Another great area to consider is Chatham County. It is home to Jordan Lake as well as acreage with the homes. I have clients that have the same requests as you and they are leaning towards Johnson or Chatham.
As for schools this website will give you all the info you could want. Even teach turnover rate. These are all factors since you will possibly be looking to teach.

http://www.ncschoolreportcard.org/src/

Last edited by LindaGlover; 04-03-2007 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 AM

13 posts, read 31,651 times
The area is nice enough and you are right in assuming that the land is less expencive. Wake county is very expencive. Johnston and Harnet counties are going to be your best bet cost wise. As far as the jobs, I don't think you will have any problems finding work. You might also check out the area below Fuqua Varina, which is towards Harnet county. As far as trying to stay close to the Raleigh area, unless you want to live in a neighborhood area and not a private piece of property, you are going to have to move at least 20 to 30 minutes out. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary