Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 AM

152 posts, read 541,890 times

Advertisements

Just saw the sign for a new Bloom Grocery store going in on Holly Springs Road & Ten-Ten. I've gathered it's an offshoot of Food Lion. Would love some comments please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM

563 posts, read 956,051 times
I have been to Bloom in Charlotte. Expensive and limited selection. Was not worth bothering with I found. Have different specials than Food Lion.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,422 times
Geesh, don't we have enough blooming Food Lions - why an offshoot? Read the second paragraph before you sign anything!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 33,250 times
I've been to one in Charlotte too. I like it, they have a system where you can scan your groceries as you get them off the shelf. Then when it's time to check out you just hand over your handheld scanner. There are also none of thoes "mvp" cards any thing on sale is on sale even if you forget your card.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 AM

17 posts, read 92,322 times
There are quite a few up in MD. It is a upscale Food Lion. Limited selection - I prefer to shop elsewhere.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melannut View Post
I've been to one in Charlotte too. I like it, they have a system where you can scan your groceries as you get them off the shelf. Then when it's time to check out you just hand over your handheld scanner. There are also none of thoes "mvp" cards any thing on sale is on sale even if you forget your card.
Bloom now has a loyalty card called the 'Breeze card'. Basically Blooms are nicer (cleaner and brighter) Food Lions. They carry brand names, Food Lion and the store generic brand. The aisles are wider than most grocery stores. The have parking spots for quick (20 minute max) shoppers. IMO the best thing about Bloom is that products are grouped by category. For example all breakfast foods (bacon, eggs, milk, cereal, oatmeal etc) are on the same aisle. Some stores have a decent organic section but nothing spectacular. They let you build your own beer six pack. You just pick what you want and put them in a bloom cardboard carrier. It's a step up from Food Lion (what isn't?) but not as nice as Harris Teeter.

Shopbloom.com

Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 AM

152 posts, read 541,890 times
Thanks for the comments. I checked out the website. It looks interesting. I think I'll be happy for the convenience this will offer, I guess if I have to run out to 7/11 type of store this would be the one. Actually, it looks promising. Besides the proximity, I like the in-store services, make your own six pack option, and the photographs that I saw.

I'm curious about the set up by category, like all breakfast stuff together.

Their ads reminded me of Aldi. I actually don't despise Food Lion, they often have great sales. I typically shop at Lowes, but that was due to proximity. Since the time we moved here, 3 grocery stores have gone up that are closer for us and now we'll be getting Blooms and a small Harris Teeter at (Ten-Ten & Kildaire Farm). Options galore!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 AM

4 posts, read 34,003 times
Since I saw the sign for the Bloom on Holly Springs, I've been trying to find out information as well. I saw a thread on Chow (food site) that there was a Bloom opening up in North Raleigh somewhere earlier this year. I'm not sure if they stopped construction or something because I've been to the official Bloom website and they don't have any locations listed in Raleigh.

I'm wondering why the N. Raleigh location didn't work out if that is true, or if it is open, I'd like to go there to check it out.

I guess we'll find out when it opens, I'm hoping it will be more than just a convenience store and that it will have a good selection of produce.

[url=http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/490277[/url]

Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
In case anyone is confused - Bloom's aren't convenience stores, they are full grocery stores. In Charlotte, their produce selection is pretty much on par with Food Lion. It's definitely not equal to Harris Teeter or Lowes.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,216 times
Yes Bloom is a full service grocery store. It's modeled similar to Hannaford grocery in the Northeast, which is owned by the same company that owns Food Lion. The two Blooms I've been to have had organic dept, bakery/delis, a pharmacy, a fresh seafood section, very nice, clean stores. They do carry a wider variety of groceries than food lion in certain departments. In my personal opinion, they're even better than Harris Teeter and a small bit away from a Lowes (I've seen my share of dirty, run-down Harris Teeters). From what I've read about it on the internet, Food Lion LLC does own the Bloom grocery stores. But it's where they send their best selection of produce and angus beef (and in my judgement the quality seems as good or better than any other supermarket). It's also has an interesting layout as others have mentioned. You can also view the store layout on-line before you go from their website for most stores.

It does seem like they don't have as good of sales as Food Lion, although I'm sure the grand opening may be different. According to wikipedia Food Lion is now diversifying into Bloom on the high end (nicer stores, wider selection, and higher prices), Food Lion in the middle, and Bottom Dollar on the low end, which are similar to Save-A-Lots that spend very little on store maintenance, have a very limited selection, don't bag your groceries (and charge you for bags if you want to and don't bring your own), and have the lowest prices. On the flip side I also think this arrangement has made Food Lion better as they send their worst selection of produce to Bottom Dollars now. I'm also a grocery shopper that tends to likes Food Lion for most of my grocery shopping. They have good sells and I'm the type of shopper that doesn't like paying more for groceries than I have to but can't stand the parking and crowds of a Wal-Mart.

Last edited by Trevor92; 12-16-2008 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: More details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary