Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Louisburg, a "Mayberry-ish" town of 3,000 in Franklin County. It's less than a 30 minute drive to Raleigh, and US401 is scheduled to be 4-laned all the way to Louisburg with the next widening segment beginning later this year from Mitchell Mill to Rolesville town limit (eventually bypassed entirely). So the drive will become even quicker.

With an abundance of large, turn-of-the-century homes and plenty of affordable land, large multi-acre lots for your home are possible.

But most importantly, 401 north seems to be the "residential artery" that weaves through wooded countryside and subdivisions. You get a direct shot to 540 and into Raleigh without the huge crowded thoroughfares of southern and western Wake.

There's even Lake Royale with homesites and it's big enough to water-ski on.(golf course also).

Louisburg is just far enough away that it's character won't be "mowed over" by development like the former Wake Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 08:07 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
Sounds nice. Anyone have any pics of Louisburg?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
Lake Royal is in Bunn and I wouldnt try water sports in that mudd hole. Dam broke two years ago deepest spot 8 feet deep. Louisburg is a historic town but very country lots of trailers and Farms. Civil War historic sites abound..

Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I grew up in Louisburg, a "Mayberry-ish" town of 3,000 in Franklin County. It's less than a 30 minute drive to Raleigh, and US401 is scheduled to be 4-laned all the way to Louisburg with the next widening segment beginning later this year from Mitchell Mill to Rolesville town limit (eventually bypassed entirely). So the drive will become even quicker.

I think Louisburg is a nice place too, but I also think it is kind of too far out there if you plan to commute to downtown Raleigh or RTP for Work unless you are ok with long commutes. I have driven out there a few times for work, and it usually takes me 30 minutes from my home in North Raleigh which is North of I-540 and it would take another 25 minutes to get to downtown Raleigh. So you are looking at an hour commute minimum and probably much longer if you travel to RTP.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Hidden secret

Heres a town just outside zebulon that you will miss if you sneeze,,,,Lizard lick nc.....Nice farm town a little closer then Bunn.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 PM

28 posts, read 81,860 times
So what would the commute be to the RTP? I work in North Raleigh so that is fine with me, but hubby works in RTP, and looking at the map it seems quite far, but on the other hand if it has direct access to 540 or something then that would actually be easier for him to get to work than if we choose Youngsville.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 PM

137 posts, read 606,987 times
Lizard Lick... lol... most places in that area actually have a Wendell address. I think that's my favorite name for a Triangle-area community so far - if you can call it that. It's not really much more than a used car lot/wrecker/garage, stoplight, and a gas station, is it?

Old 02-27-2007, 09:06 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
My apologies for mentioning Lake Royale as suitable for water sports. I live in NYC and haven't been there in years.

My intention for this post is to inform newcomers that there are alternatives to the cramped tract-style developments, and that some people's "dream" homesite might be found within an easy drive. Not to mention at a better price.

I graduated from NC State and during summer sessions commuted from Louisburg for 8am classes. And my father has commuted from Louisburg to Lake Boone Trail for 40 years. Ever since I can remember it has taken only 30 minutes from Louisburg to Capital Blvd (driving 62-65mph)

I see people looking at Creedmoor and even Mebane which are not as easily accessible as Louisburg.

Maybe this post will help someone.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM

No Problem, I would not recommend lake Royal at present its a very different development, kinda strange out there one way in one way out alittle worn down. And yes Lizard does consist of a Garage and feed and grain store and thats about it.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 AM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
I had a friend who built a dome in the 1970's in Louisburg. I thought his land was quite pretty. There was a junior college there, too, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary