Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:33 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,130 times

Advertisements

my sisters both went to Louisburg college for 2 years...it was a really cute small town from what i remember! Not sure if its still there. I think its the location of the world champion whistling contest though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM

579 posts, read 2,862,949 times
I happen to love historic homes and have had my eye on downtown historic louisburg for quite some time. It's a little isolated from the rest of the triangle but within 20 minutes of N Raleigh which has everything anyone could need. There is inventory of nice historic homes in that area in my price range but I just can't decide if I want to move that far out. It's the kind of place where you can sit on your front porch and wave to the neighbors strolling by. Gorgeous historic homes, many are being rehabbed and huge, mature trees with sidwalks. ahhhh... I can only imagine how awesome that would be.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:30 PM

137 posts, read 606,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
my sisters both went to Louisburg college for 2 years...it was a really cute small town from what i remember! Not sure if its still there. I think its the location of the world champion whistling contest though.
The Whistling Convention is still there! Takes place in April this year some time, although I don't know the exact dates. I knew nothing about it till about a week ago, evidently my grandparents are coming from the midwest to take part... lol!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Air

150 posts, read 537,810 times
What would it be like to raise a child there? I have visited and thought it was lovely -- then we stopped in the grocery store and some other places and I didn't like certain elements. People were really kind, however.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:16 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Though I attended public school in Louisburg all throughout my childhood, I would recommend that parents follow what some parents in Louisburg have done for the past 30 years: send their children to private schools like Kerr-Vance Academy in Vance County or Ravenscroft in Raleigh. Each requires a 45 minute bus ride each way, however many of my best friends did this, and the advantages seemed to definitely be worth the bus ride. A bus for Kerr-Vance Academy is permantently stationed in Louisburg for the daily transport of the students. The Franklin County school system definitely will improve as it's one of the fastest growing counties in NC. But in the meantime...

Old 03-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Air

150 posts, read 537,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Though I attended public school in Louisburg all throughout my childhood, I would recommend that parents follow what some parents in Louisburg have done for the past 30 years: send their children to private schools like Kerr-Vance Academy in Vance County or Ravenscroft in Raleigh. Each requires a 45 minute bus ride each way, however many of my best friends did this, and the advantages seemed to definitely be worth the bus ride. A bus for Kerr-Vance Academy is permantently stationed in Louisburg for the daily transport of the students. The Franklin County school system definitely will improve as it's one of the fastest growing counties in NC. But in the meantime...
I remember having a long bus ride to school as a child, and getting carsick every day It is also hard to maintain friendships. We always had problems doing activities at school or going to friends' houses or parties.

On the other hand, having a first-class, private-school education would be really nice

As an architect, did you work on one of those houses in the historic district?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I was in Louisburg yesterday for work and had the opportunity to drive around the downtown. It definitely has that small town feel with many historic looking homes. I like the look of the area, but it seems very rural (which I know some are looking for) but there doesn't seem to be much else up there. The drive back to North Raleigh wasn't horrible, but I can't imagine doing it everyday for work unless you work in the upper North Raleigh area.

When I came back to Raleigh from another location in Granville County I drove Down Creedmoor (RT 50). It was a nice 35 minute drive along a pretty country setting, but it was off peak hours so I don't know what it would be like during rush hour. Also it was 35 minutes to 540 in N. Raleigh. Anywhere else like Downtown or RTP and I iamgine it would be a 1 hour commute each way at the very best. That being said, if you are looking for a rural setting, and can work from home....maybe Louisburg is for you.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,562 times
Default phone and ISP

We are moving in about a week and it seems no one can provide telephone or internet service to Louisburg that we talk to. There has to be someone!
We have tried Bellsouth, TimeWarner, Comcast, and Cox.

Ideas??

Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 AM

12 posts, read 77,199 times
Try calling the library, maybe they can help? We are moving there next fall, so let us know what you find out! Hey, maybe we will be neighbors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpack View Post
We are moving in about a week and it seems no one can provide telephone or internet service to Louisburg that we talk to. There has to be someone!
We have tried Bellsouth, TimeWarner, Comcast, and Cox.

Ideas??

Old 05-11-2007, 05:33 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
I believe the local phone service is Embarq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary