Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,095,943 times

Advertisements

They just built an Aldi in Cary not to long ago an I was hopng to see WF get one. The closest one is about 12 miles away off Louisburg Rd in NE Raleigh. With the way the economy is and price of groceries soaring, I think it would help alot of ppl out with their grocery bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:01 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,122,216 times
I do like Aldi for the most part, but not for everything. I'm not crazy about their meats and a lot of the frozen stuff, but I have been pleasantly suprised with their produce, dry goods, milk and cheeses and some other items.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,122,216 times
Also, there is one in North Raleigh on Falls. It's not WF, but still closer than Cary!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,749 times
I went to the one in Cary to see what people on this forum were talking about, and I have to say, I don't know why anyone would shop there. The quality of the food products were abysmal.

Everything they have you can get cheaper and of MUCH higher quality at Costco. I know, I know, "Costco memberships are $50!" Yeah, but if you get gas every time you go, you'll save more than $50 a year just in gas. Between Costco, Trader Joes, and the Farmer's Markets, you can get everything cheaper and fresher. But that's just my opinion (albeit the most important one).

Old 11-11-2008, 08:48 AM

3,954 posts, read 5,096,895 times
Default it's all about price

How do Aldi’s grocery prices compare with those at Wal-Mart?

My wife tends to buy most of our; milk, bread, canned, frozen and boxed foods from the Super Wal-Mart here in Wake Forest with occasional trips to Krogers, Food Lion or Harris Teeter for specialty items.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,095,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
How do Aldi’s grocery prices compare with those at Wal-Mart?

My wife tends to buy most of our; milk, bread, canned, frozen and boxed foods from the Super Wal-Mart here in Wake Forest with occasional trips to Krogers, Food Lion or Harris Teeter for specialty items.
I shop at Super Wal-Mart too. The groceries are usually less expensive at Aldi with the same quality. I don't buy meats there, but I buy canned goods, boxed goods and frozen goods, dairy and more there for less expensive. The rest of the the stuff I get at Wal-Mart. I buy my meats on sale at the local grocery store. Yes it's not fancy, but it's definately less expensive.
The thing with Cotsco, BJ's or Sam's you have to buy in big bulk. When you have a small family, you won't use that much.

I actually like Save-A-Lot better, but the closest one is in Sanford.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:18 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,714,778 times
Aldi and its sister-type store Save-A-Lot offer lower prices because they "specialize" on selling a smaller set of items for sale. Save-A-Lot only sells the same ~1,200 items in every store, so it offers lower prices through standardization, Aldi has a bit more variety.

If you're looking for fresh fruit and vegetables, their prices are typically 30% what you'd pay at a Harris Teeter for example. For canned goods, boxed food, etc, its a good alternative for people.

Places like Costco and BJ's offer discounted goods, but can't always be relied on to carry exactly what you need, like Trader Joes they always have different stuff for sale, but TJ's does have a core set of stuff you can get.

Boxed and canned goods are basically the same anywhere you go, but for fresh foods you need to be more particular, and some places like Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, and Fresh Market are known for their higher meat and dairy quality. You also need to consider the time and travel costs for shopping at two different stores vs just getting everything at one place.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
IMO going into an Aldi is like a grocery store version of a Goodwill . I just get that same vibe.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 AM

488 posts, read 1,555,783 times
No please don't put one in Wake Forest. Now if you'd like to put a Trader Joes (Aldis meets Whole Foods) in I'd be all for it!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 AM

488 posts, read 1,555,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
IMO going into an Aldi is like a grocery store version of a Goodwill . I just get that same vibe.
I completely agree!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary