Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post

Maybe now is not the time.

Oh but that bungalow is gorgeous....

When it is right, you will know it. You deserve to have things the way you want them. Don't ever settle on anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,195 times
I am a single woman and I live on Driver street. I've lived in my house for about 3 years and feel safe. I moved into the area b/c I wanted to be apart of the revitalization taking place. If you're interested in the area please find out more at uplifteastdurham.wordpress.com . It would be great for you to come to a neighborhood mtg and get to know some of the residents so that you can find out first hand what's happening.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,285,114 times
I work in security.... yeah.... now is not the time to "live" there. If you cannot invest without living there, I'd wait.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 AM

157 posts, read 617,566 times
I too have recently been looking into buying an older bungalow...I've looked at many neighborhoods including Duke Park, Old West, Old North, Northgate...

More recently, I have been getting more and more intrigued by the possibility of buying in East Durham. I've driven through the area many times and yes it does have its negatives, but some streets seem like there has been some positives. I envision moving to such a neighborhood only to be part of and take action in revitalizing it. The character and possibilities of this side of town is endless! Everytime I drive through I think of what it could be with its unique hilly streets, beautiful Oak, Pine, Walnut trees, detailed craft homes. I worry sometimes when I envision living there since I have a beautiful young wife and 2 dogs but then I think of the potential and how positive it can be. I sometimes think that I myself can make a huge impact on a community by encouraging others...There seems to be a few who have already done so in some of these neighborhoods. I think it would be an interesting eventful challenge but think the rewards will be more than worth it. it's part of loving Durham and respecting it for what it is.

It's insane how beautiful it can be only if you have more and more people that care move into these neighborhoods. it can change any habitat dramatically! it takes a strong foundation to build a Pyramid...

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM

161 posts, read 602,587 times
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about." -Charles Kingsley

I agree with Mr. Kingsley, and the improvement and restoration of a beautiful but run-down neighborhood is what I am most enthusiastic about. I have been doing it for 23 years and it has made me happy. I have helped to preserve beautiful architecture, improved other people's lives, and given myself financial security. You are evidently of the same frame of mind, so I would encourage you to follow this dream. East Durham is definitely where it is happening now. BUT . . .

You must be smart about it. You must choose carefully where you are going to pursue your dream. Because if you move to an area that does not improve, you will be heartsick, and will not have invested well. East Durham is a huge area; parts are destined to improve, and others may or may not. Get to know the area well. Get to know which blocks have a critical stock of good houses that could be restored. Do not buy the only historic bungalow in an area of cinder-block duplexes.

When a house or a block intrigues you, look around the neighboring blocks. Are some of them nice as well? Consider how far the block is from downtown. Areas closer to downtown will tend to be more desirable in the coming years than areas too far away.

If safety is important to you, get to know where the crime pockets are. All of East Durham is not crime-ridden; only some blocks are. Even better, get to know which HOUSES are the problems. A couple years ago, I bought a house on a very rough block in Raleigh. BUT the house I bought was the worst crime problem on the block! When I kicked out the noisy drug-dealing tenants and their vicious pit bull, the block was much better, and the neighbors thanked me! There was one other bad house on the block, and somebody else bought that place and fixed it up.

But don't let safety become a disproportionate part of the equation. If you are buying a house that will appreciate by $50,000 more than if it were in a more established neighborhood, don't dwell on the possibility that someone will steal your $300 television.

Raising kids in a rough neighborhood presents challenges, but rewards as well. They will meet a wide variety of folks, rather than just well-off people. It will give them greater understanding of the world, and it will help them appreciate what they have.

Talk to other residents. Go to neighborhood meetings. Neighborhood improvement is very much a cooperative venture, and these folks can help you, and will want to help you. They might know of a good house someone is interested in selling. And you will enjoy your adventure more if others are sharing it with you.

Since my neighborhood in Raleigh is almost completely restored, I am feeling the urge to plough new ground. One day I might join you in East Durham!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM

41 posts, read 102,558 times
My employee who lives there and happens to be African-American says: don't go there even if you have to.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 PM

46 posts, read 210,186 times
askmisterbrown - Excellent, insightful post. Thanks for your contributions to this forum.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 PM

Quick note. For anyone wanting to know about Durham, with alot of info and sights on E Durham, check out my new blog: bullcitybungalow.com.

There will be more info and insightful info about Durham as a whole with the focus on Durham positives as everything else out there seems to come out as negative for Durham.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,217 times
Hi to all! This is my first ever city-data post. This forum was a TRUE lifesaver when I moved from Chicago. I can't be an active member (my "day" job(s) are a >80 hr week commitment), but I'll do my best to contribute when it's pertinent.

I'm so glad to see this thread, because there are a couple of S. Driver properties that I have adored from the moment I discovered them. I love historic architecture of just about any era, and driving down Driver (like many other areas of Durham) really gets my heart thumping! Such potential, but I have several concerns that are holding me back.

First: though I'm handy, my fiance and I have no rehab experience. We're truly motivated to move into the field though, and since my fiance (another design nut) wants to leave his corporate finance job to work in the non-profit field, the thought of re-building a community is exciting to us.

BUT, we can't deny that the crime along Driver street really worries us. We'd be looking at South Driver, near the Angier/Driver intersection. Though I grew up in Jackson, Miss (no stranger to crime and poverty), I've lived in "good" neighborhoods all my life. My fiance lives in a Chicago condo in an area that is the poster child for gentrification.

I have driven up and down Driver and the neighboring streets, and while beautiful, I did feel unsafe in some places. Without a frame of reference, I'm not sure I can truly imagine living there. The 40 minute commute to UNC would also be a serious negative.

We're also looking in Cleveland-Holloway, and our overall sense is that the C-H community has more momentum to rebuild--they seem to have achieved a "critical mass" that may hit East Durham if people are smart and dedicated, and business opportunities can be found. C-H has the advantage of being "walkable" (in theory) to Downtown, something that East Durham does not have. Our subjective opinion is that C-H is a safer bet--both economically and crime-wise (though C-H & East Durham have very similar crime stats). I can't get that Driver House out of my head, though.

Can someone provide info about the business development and/or crime at the corner of Driver/Angier? I've read the news stories about the businessman who is making Herculean efforts there. My thought is that without business investment like his, then the area may continue to struggle, no matter how dedicated the homeowners are. Without commercial/retail opportunities, there is less to keep stable residents in the area and less to draw "visitors" to the area. I am also not familiar with any new transit plans for the city.

Thank you for your thoughtful opinions. I've read many posts on this site, and I applaud the members who make a point be respectful, considerate, and honest.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_luvs_Design View Post
Hi to all! This is my first ever city-data post. This forum was a TRUE lifesaver when I moved from Chicago. I can't be an active member (my "day" job(s) are a >80 hr week commitment), but I'll do my best to contribute when it's pertinent.

I'm so glad to see this thread, because there are a couple of S. Driver properties that I have adored from the moment I discovered them. I love historic architecture of just about any era, and driving down Driver (like many other areas of Durham) really gets my heart thumping! Such potential, but I have several concerns that are holding me back.

First: though I'm handy, my fiance and I have no rehab experience. We're truly motivated to move into the field though, and since my fiance (another design nut) wants to leave his corporate finance job to work in the non-profit field, the thought of re-building a community is exciting to us.

BUT, we can't deny that the crime along Driver street really worries us. We'd be looking at South Driver, near the Angier/Driver intersection. Though I grew up in Jackson, Miss (no stranger to crime and poverty), I've lived in "good" neighborhoods all my life. My fiance lives in a Chicago condo in an area that is the poster child for gentrification.

I have driven up and down Driver and the neighboring streets, and while beautiful, I did feel unsafe in some places. Without a frame of reference, I'm not sure I can truly imagine living there. The 40 minute commute to UNC would also be a serious negative.

We're also looking in Cleveland-Holloway, and our overall sense is that the C-H community has more momentum to rebuild--they seem to have achieved a "critical mass" that may hit East Durham if people are smart and dedicated, and business opportunities can be found. C-H has the advantage of being "walkable" (in theory) to Downtown, something that East Durham does not have. Our subjective opinion is that C-H is a safer bet--both economically and crime-wise (though C-H & East Durham have very similar crime stats). I can't get that Driver House out of my head, though.

Can someone provide info about the business development and/or crime at the corner of Driver/Angier? I've read the news stories about the businessman who is making Herculean efforts there. My thought is that without business investment like his, then the area may continue to struggle, no matter how dedicated the homeowners are. Without commercial/retail opportunities, there is less to keep stable residents in the area and less to draw "visitors" to the area. I am also not familiar with any new transit plans for the city.

Thank you for your thoughtful opinions. I've read many posts on this site, and I applaud the members who make a point be respectful, considerate, and honest.
I myself have driven through there MANY times to get a "feel" of the possibilities of me or my finace living in that area. I think we would be okay as we are a young couple with dogs/no kids and we are pretty open minded. The crime that happens in the sections of E Durham is always interrelated meaning it happens to the other people who are up to no good. Of course, you would be living in an area that is more impoverished than you're used to but that WILL change. There is alot of going on in this beautiful side of town and it will not stop until the goal is reached. I have met some of the people who have lived there or aspire to live there and all are very motivated citizens from all backgrounds and education level that are making significant impact.

I have met Joe Bushfan myself and got a glimpse into the buildings he is revitalizing for business use and I can assure you, these businesses are primed for success in that much needed intersection of Driver/Angier. These businesses are only a spark or preview of the possibilities of what that business intersection can become. Think about it, what other intercity neighborhoods in Durham have such an intersection or street of nostaligic retail buildings? Rockwood & 9th St. come to mind. Both surrounded by beautiful older neighborhoods that are well established. You are right, E Durham is not exactly walkable to the downtown core but neither is most of Old West Durham, Northgate, Duke Park and they're one of the more prestigious/costly neighborhoods around DT.

Cleveland-Holloway has great upside because of the momentum it has with the many involved newer residents who are taking alot of pride and work into that neighborhood and making it safer/better to live in. That neighborhood also has as much crime as some of E Durham as well but it does have the influx of new residents that have made the crime go down to the lowest it's been in a LONG time. But so has E Durham as the influx of new residents there has made a significant impact that has lowered the crime there to one of it's lowest points in the last 20 years!

I would advise you go to Preservation Durham's workshop this weekend as this will give you more of a "feel" into the neighborhood. I have gone to several and have also gone to their street cleaning which was a great opportunity to walk around the area and see how things are on a beautiful day. It was wonderful.

If you are interested in C-H, I would advise to get in touch with the people in their neighborhood association website as they are more than willing to walk you around the neighborhood and tell you EVERYTHING there is to know about it. They are all very welcoming and always open the door to prospective new neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary