Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 AM

560 posts, read 2,851,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJ View Post
Please leave the New York attitude in NY
bring good manners.
Are you referring to a particular post or just in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 09:13 AM

353 posts, read 997,125 times
I am a native NYer (Long Beach, Long Island), hubby is from Michigan. We chose Raleigh (my parents live in Charlotte) for the climate, the cost of living, the relative ease of commuting to and from work, while still maintaining a "city" OR "country" feel, depending on how far away from downtown you're willing to travel. All in all, a nice package.

IF!!!!! If you have kids, WANT kids, plan to have kids and plan to put them into the public school system WATCH OUT!

Wake county busses their kids all over creation, they are attempting (and have failed, but are appealing in court) to assign your kids to a MANDATORY year-round schedule, there is CHAOS with the board of ed, spending is through the roof, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO INPUT ALLOWED from parents.

Check out the following websites

newsobserver.com |WakeEd
WakeCARES
Stop Mandatory Year Round

Wake County, and the board of ed, are NOT family friendly when it comes to schools. I personally know of SEVERAL families who have siblings in different schools ON DIFFERENT SCHEDULES. And when parents appealed (IN PERSON) to the board to at LEAST get their kids synced, THEY WERE DENIED.

Please, read, read, read... educate yourself, and be prepared for perhaps sending your kids to private school if you value stability and having a say in your child's education.

Also, please note that we have the BEST teachers in the world. Only a TRULY DEDICATED professional would put up with the BS handed out by administrators. It's a testament to their fortitude, truly.

But, there is no teacher's union, the BOE is insane, and it all trickles down to affecting our children.

I currently have a 3 year old, and we're looking at private school... which means we may NOT have a 2nd child, since the cost will pinch us REALLY bad.

It's a sad day when your BOE can have an affect on whether you'll have a sibling for your child or not. But, this is how we really feel.

Good luck to you! We're considering a move to a neighboring county. If you can choose Harnett, Johnston, or Chatham, do so.

If you are looking at Chapel Hill/Carrboro, be warned. It's VERY hard to find a place to live (and it's VERY expensive) as they have a tight grip on how much gets developed there.

Good Luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,585,878 times
Default Hyperbole can be a dangerous device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighCEPark View Post
I am a native NYer (Long Beach, Long Island), hubby is from Michigan. We chose Raleigh (my parents live in Charlotte) for the climate, the cost of living, the relative ease of commuting to and from work, while still maintaining a "city" OR "country" feel, depending on how far away from downtown you're willing to travel. All in all, a nice package.

IF!!!!! If you have kids, WANT kids, plan to have kids and plan to put them into the public school system WATCH OUT!

Wake county busses their kids all over creation, they are attempting (and have failed, but are appealing in court) to assign your kids to a MANDATORY year-round schedule, there is CHAOS with the board of ed, spending is through the roof, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO INPUT ALLOWED from parents.

newsobserver.com |WakeEd
WakeCARES

Wake County, and the board of ed, are NOT family friendly when it comes to schools. I personally know of SEVERAL families who have siblings in different schools ON DIFFERENT SCHEDULES. And when parents appealed (IN PERSON) to the board to at LEAST get their kids synced, THEY WERE DENIED.

Please, read, read, read... educate yourself, and be prepared for perhaps sending your kids to private school if you value stability and having a say in your child's education.

Also, please note that we have the BEST teachers in the world. Only a TRULY DEDICATED professional would put up with the BS handed out by administrators. It's a testament to their fortitude, truly.

But, there is no teacher's union, the BOE is insane, and it all trickles down to affecting our children.

I currently have a 3 year old, and we're looking at private school... which means we may NOT have a 2nd child, since the cost will pinch us REALLY bad.

It's a sad day when your BOE can have an affect on whether you'll have a sibling for your child or not. But, this is how we really feel.

Good luck to you! We're considering a move to a neighboring county. If you can choose Harnett, Johnston, or Chatham, do so.

If you are looking at Chapel Hill/Carrboro, be warned. It's VERY hard to find a place to live (and it's VERY expensive) as they have a tight grip on how much gets developed there.

Good Luck!
I realize you'll lilkely hide behind the "I was just expressing my opinion" defense but this post is just plain irresponsible. The school system certainly has it's issues but show me any such organization that doesn't. You offer your opinion as if though it's a fact and it's not. Growth is difficult to manage and any municipality will struggle to make the necessary adjustments. However Wake County is doing a more then credible job to fix the problems. Year round scheduling is not a new form of torture, it's just different and that doesn't make it bad. Using temporary structures is also unconventional but these aren't discarded metal cargo containers. They're nicer than many of the classrooms in the NYC public school system.

You're not happy with the situation and that's understandable but don't spin things so that it appears as if the sky is falling for public education in Wake County.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 AM

353 posts, read 997,125 times
Default Read Read Read

For content.

I suggested that the poster(s) read and come to their OWN conclusions.

If you think Wake is "handling" growth (both in terms of developing, and then placing the children that move here), your definition of "handling" is clearly different from mine.

Folks, read and do your own research. Get on some of the blogs and talk to ACTUAL families, people with children, people who are in the system, people who've left it.

It's not a coincidence that Wake has one of the (if not THE, but I don't know THAT for sure) highest percentages of children who are home schooled.

Don't take for granted what your realtor, the chamber of commerce and other "Friends of Wake County" tell you.

Educate yourselves.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM

202 posts, read 951,076 times
Quote:

newsobserver.com |WakeEd
WakeCARES

Good Luck!
I agree with the previous poster, the sky isn't falling. I would imagine there are situations like this in every school system in every county in america. Your not going to have any more kids because of the Wake County Public School System? Your kids are not even in school and won't be for another 2-3 years.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 AM

560 posts, read 2,851,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithgolf2000 View Post
I agree with the previous poster, the sky isn't falling. I would imagine there are situations like this in every school system in every county in america. Your not going to have any more kids because of the Wake County Public School System? Your kids are not even in school and won't be for another 2-3 years.
tsmithgolf is right and a lot could change for the better in 2-3 years, hang in there and don't let something like this stop you from having the family you've dreamed of. If Wake County really bothers you that much I would move to another county before I would deprive my child of a playmate We are in Franklin County, check it out!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,585,878 times
Default Agreed!

Quote:
For content.

I suggested that the poster(s) read and come to their OWN conclusions.

If you think Wake is "handling" growth (both in terms of developing, and then placing the children that move here), your definition of "handling" is clearly different from mine.

Folks, read and do your own research. Get on some of the blogs and talk to ACTUAL families, people with children, people who are in the system, people who've left it.

It's not a coincidence that Wake has one of the (if not THE, but I don't know THAT for sure) highest percentages of children who are home schooled.

Don't take for granted what your realtor, the chamber of commerce and other "Friends of Wake County" tell you.

Educate yourselves.
Educate yourselves! We agree on that point completely.

I would also respectfully suggest that only those people with children actually effected by any of these "potential" problems offer opinions. I would also strongly recommend you identify which areas of the school system are likely impacted. We moved into a well established area in North Raleigh that's not impacted by the popular issues.

As for the home schooling comment you've got to come up with your data sources to make a statement as bold as that. And please don't quote a blog as your source, those aren't properly vetted sources.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:34 PM

83 posts, read 352,705 times
Default Growth in the schools

The whole issue of growth in the schools sounds really ugly when you are looking at the entire picture (just imagine what the Board of Education is going through!) With 65 people moving to Wake County every day, growth in the schools is tremendous.

Before my son started school and before all the big growth issues, I was very nervous about putting my little child in the school system. Every little thing I heard scared me. My child has done just fine in his 8 yrs of school now.

At one point, people were fighting to get their kids in the year round programs. The kids go to school for 9 weeks and then they are out for 3 weeks. Families could go on vacations in different seasons and maybe even more than once a year. Many families liked year round because some of the schedules allowed for more time off at the holidays.

Over crowding in schools is not new in our country. A long time ago when I was in 5th and 6th grade, our schools were overcrowded. I spent my 6th grade year in a mobile classroom. Because of our teachers attitudes, we thought that we were lucky to be in those mobile classrooms! We were in the quiet part of school.

Do your research and have an open mind when you are doing the research. My son just was redistricted to year round in middle school. We found lots of pros in this move.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,191,259 times
Actually, New Jersey appeared to have more discourtesy than NY. Got the "bird" many times when we lived in Edison because I drove safely and obeyed speed limits.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,132 times
Default I'm from Bayport Victoria

Hi Victoria,

I'm from Bayport and just moved to Apex/Cary. I was close to the Sayville border, so spent a lot of time in Sayville too (and worked in Sayville in H.S.) so came from the same area! Very cool.

Ann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary