Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,533 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm a New England transplant who teaches elementary school in Johnston County. So far I really like it here in NC, but I don't like where I currently live (Wayne County, in Goldsboro). I'm toying with the idea of applying to Wake County this Spring.

I'd like to hear from other Wake teachers. Up until recently, I thought all schools were year-round, but I've since learned that's not true. If you DO work at a year-round school, can you tell me what tracking is like? I almost think tracking sounds great -- except the part about moving classrooms every few months .

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 11:53 AM

306 posts, read 719,778 times
Year round school basically consists of 9 weeks in school and then 3 "tracked out"--all year long. Of the four tracks, one is always "tracked out" in the rotation. For example, Track 4 starts back tomorrow, after being off for three weeks. Track 3 now begins their three week break.
I can't speak for surrounding counties, but the benefit package from Wake is not as strong as where we came from (obviously it wasn't a deal-breaker-we were looking for better quality of life).
Year round school works for us--but that opinion isn't shared by everyone. Not until we moved here did we realize that YR school was a "hot topic."
As for changing classrooms--that may or may not happen to you. It depends on how crowded the school is--besides, it keeps you organized :-)
Check out Wake County Public School System and good luck in your decision :-)

Old 10-19-2008, 02:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
The benefits are statewide. Salary supplements are different by county.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:23 AM

11 posts, read 20,768 times
What are the pros and cons of tracking? I would like to hear them from a teachers and parents point of view. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:27 PM

306 posts, read 719,778 times
It works great for us. We started out on Track 2 when we moved here, and then they moved us to Track 4 this year. After coming from a traditional school year, we really like being able to do stuff at different times of the year (like going on vacation in October!). And every nine weeks, there's a three week break! In theory, the kids are supposed to retain more since they don't have three months of "down time."
The biggest con for us will be when our kids are older and one's at YR and one's in traditional. There are YR middle schools, but all high schools are traditional. We aren't there yet, but it's definitely something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary