Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 PM

95 posts, read 224,052 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I hate big, national banks. I've always preferred to do my banking at local credit unions. They usually tend to be much more helpful and friendlier, with better interest rates and less ridiculous fees.

I know for many credit unions, you need to somehow be affiliated with a certain company or work within a certain field, etc., but there are others that are public or where the only qualification is simply that you reside in a certain county. Since I'll be new to Raleigh, I won't have any connections to anything in the area when I move down, so I was hoping to find a good credit union that is open to anyone in the area. I'm going to be living near Umstead Park...I guess it's technically Leesville but it's just outside of the Raleigh city limits, still south of 540.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by Nene817; 08-06-2008 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
One option is Coastal Federal Credit Union - COASTAL - Experience the Difference.
Many companies in the Triangle are affiliated with CFCU. Here's a link to their eligibility requirements.
COASTAL - Step 1 - Verify Eligibility
I think they used to allow others to join if they paid a small fee (I believe it's $10) but I'm not sure they do that anymore.

There are also a handful of credit unions affiliated with local government agencies. For example, there's the NC State Employees Credit Union - State Employees' Credit Union
Here's the link to their eligibility requirements: Membership Eligibility

To find other credit unions you can use the search tool at the website for the National Credit Union Administration.
National Credit Union Administration - Credit Union Queries

Old 08-07-2008, 06:03 AM

57 posts, read 246,005 times
I agree with you want2leave.... and I am a member of both of the credit unions mrssteel mentioned. I have been very happy with both of them and would recommend either of them... But unless you or an immediate family member will be working in association with the state of NC, you'll need to focus on Coastal Federal Credit Union. and I'm pretty certain anyone can join (see option #4 on the sign up page).

Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
State Employees is great. We love banking there.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
We're memebers of both SECU and Coastal. I like SECU way better if you are eliglible. Coastal is OK. I find them to be a little behind the times compared to SECU, a little slower and some of the people working at the branch I go to don't seem to be all that bright for lack of a better description. But I'm happy with the bank itself. It could just be the branch I go to as well, maybe the other ones are better. It's not enough to make me switch banks or anything, i just really prefer SECU. They are always extremely efficient.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
I agree, SECU staff are both intelligent and courteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary