Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM

767 posts, read 1,848,585 times

Advertisements

We currently have a good size bonus room, about 15 X 22, with one double dormer and a walk in closet. I have wondered about putting up a wall down the middle of it to make a real 4th bedroom, and a smaller bonus room. Our hallway would lead into the bonus room side, which we be about 15x10 plus the 2 window dormer which is big enough for a full size desk. There would be a door in that room that leads to the 4th bedroom, which would be about 15x11 with a walk in closet and a bank of 3 windows looking out back...a nice room. There are already HVAC vents...one on each side, so no adjustment there. Would this hurt us in any way for resale?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
We currently have a good size bonus room, about 15 X 22, with one double dormer and a walk in closet. I have wondered about putting up a wall down the middle of it to make a real 4th bedroom, and a smaller bonus room. Our hallway would lead into the bonus room side, which we be about 15x10 plus the 2 window dormer which is big enough for a full size desk. There would be a door in that room that leads to the 4th bedroom, which would be about 15x11 with a walk in closet and a bank of 3 windows looking out back...a nice room. There are already HVAC vents...one on each side, so no adjustment there. Would this hurt us in any way for resale?
It sounds as if you'd have good access to the bonus room but in order to get to the 4th bedroom, you'd have to go through the bonus room?

Going through a room to get to another isn't the BEST setup; however, I recently showed a house that did what you are thinking of doing.

My clients liked the smaller bonus room for the kids and then the room that was past the bonus room, to use as an office. I did notice that the "office" had a couple of fans in there as it seemed like it was closed up enough to maybe get a bit hotter in the summer months.

If you are considering doing this for you, I'd say go ahead and do it. If you are doing it just for resale purposes, I wouldn't, although I think some will like it and some will not.

Vicki

Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks Vicki. Its really for us, not for resale. Right now the kids own the whole space and its most of it is wasted. They would be fine with a smaller area for video games & computers. I just wondered if it would have any big impact one way or the other. Its only one wall, so if someone wanted to take it out, they could. It would be a guest/sewing room, so not used all the time. Since the bonus room does get warmer/colder just because of where it is, we would probably add ceiling fans on both sides to help keep the air moving.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM

Also Vicki, would we need a permit? My husband could probably do the work.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
I'd call the permit dept. to see if you'd need a permit since you are just addiing an interior wall, as I'm not sure of that.

You do need a permit if you are finishing a room or adding HVAC. You also need a permit to add an electrical outlet, add a deck or plumbing.

And you are welcome!

Vicki

Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
Also Vicki, would we need a permit? My husband could probably do the work.
Yes, anything structural (putting up a wall) requires a permit. It is cheap, and they are actually there to help you. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
You also need a permit to add an electrical outlet, add a deck or plumbing.
Vicki & SG, I have a permiting questions that I hope you guys might be able to advise me on. We have one of those standard (ugly) bathroom light fixtures. It has like 8 bulbs on the metal strip. We want to replace it with 2 smaller fixtures. If I only have one junction box (not sure if I have the correct term.... it's the hole in the wall w/ the metal box that you wire the light fixture to)... if I only have one and I need to add a second one do I need a permit?

Also we are planning on adding an outlet in our entry way. Will we need 2 permits... one for the outlet and one for the new light fixture's electrical box?

We're going to hire an electrician... as we don't do electrical home improvement. But I'm wondering what to expect.

Thanks for your input. Enjoy the sunny day!!

EDIT: OP, I while I think Vicki's advice about splitting the room is right on for resale. I personally would LOVE this. And it would probably be a selling feature for me. (I'm a weird buyer though.) I love the idea of craft room beside the family room...thats what I'd use it for.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Vicki & SG, I have a permiting questions that I hope you guys might be able to advise me on. We have one of those standard (ugly) bathroom light fixtures. It has like 8 bulbs on the metal strip. We want to replace it with 2 smaller fixtures. If I only have one junction box (not sure if I have the correct term.... it's the hole in the wall w/ the metal box that you wire the light fixture to)... if I only have one and I need to add a second one do I need a permit?

Also we are planning on adding an outlet in our entry way. Will we need 2 permits... one for the outlet and one for the new light fixture's electrical box?

We're going to hire an electrician... as we don't do electrical home improvement. But I'm wondering what to expect.

Thanks for your input. Enjoy the sunny day!!

EDIT: OP, I while I think Vicki's advice about splitting the room is right on for resale. I personally would LOVE this. And it would probably be a selling feature for me. (I'm a weird buyer though.) I love the idea of craft room beside the family room...thats what I'd use it for.
We actually just recently did the bathroom light split...from one center fixture to two over each sink. Didn't get a permit...didn't even think about it. Again, hubby did the work...he's a handy guy to have around!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
I know in Cary that if you are adding an electrical fixture or ceiling fan where there was previously NOT one, you need a permit. If you are replacing an existing fixture, you do NOT need a permit. So in your case, if you need another electrical box for the second light, you would need a permit. That is of course assuming most towns/cities have similar permit requirements.
If you contact a local electrician, they should be able to tell you which cases require permits.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:04 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I know in Cary that if you are adding an electrical fixture or ceiling fan where there was previously NOT one, you need a permit. If you are replacing an existing fixture, you do NOT need a permit. So in your case, if you need another electrical box for the second light, you would need a permit. That is of course assuming most towns/cities have similar permit requirements.
If you contact a local electrician, they should be able to tell you which cases require permits.
good to know!! Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary