Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 PM

39 posts, read 106,612 times

Advertisements

We were looking at a home that has 5 BR with one in the first floor. Now it does it not have a bonus room and i felt will be it critical when it comes to sell a home.backyrd is large. It is a 2900 sqft home w/no basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,615,721 times
And your question is. . . . . . .what?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,306,208 times
Not sure what your question is.

Just to add to the confusion, could somebody please explain the difference between a "bonus room" and just another bedroom in a house? Every room I've ever seen that people called a "bonus room" had a door, a closet, and a window. So why is it called a bonus room and not just another bedroom? I live in a 3 bedroom house with one of the bedrooms located above my 1-car garage. So I live in a three bedroom house right and not a two bedroom house with a "bonus" room right? What they heck makes a bonus room a bonus and not a bedroom?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:11 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,741,790 times
I think a bigger problem will be 5 bedrooms and 2900 sq ft. The bedrooms might be too small. A first floor bedroom is almost always a plus, except with new parents who think they need to be upstairs with their rug rats. After they have one or two more, the come to their senses and like that first floor master as well.

Focus on the size of the bedrooms. More is normally not better.

lln

Old 01-02-2009, 01:17 PM

488 posts, read 1,555,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I think a bigger problem will be 5 bedrooms and 2900 sq ft. The bedrooms might be too small. A first floor bedroom is almost always a plus, except with new parents who think they need to be upstairs with their rug rats. After they have one or two more, the come to their senses and like that first floor master as well.

lln
That was my first thought as well. I can't imagine that 5 bedrooms squeezed into 2900 square feet would be very usable bedrooms.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:23 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,703,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

Just to add to the confusion, could somebody please explain the difference between a "bonus room" and just another bedroom in a house? Every room I've ever seen that people called a "bonus room" had a door, a closet, and a window. So why is it called a bonus room and not just another bedroom? I live in a 3 bedroom house with one of the bedrooms located above my 1-car garage. So I live in a three bedroom house right and not a two bedroom house with a "bonus" room right? What they heck makes a bonus room a bonus and not a bedroom?
Oh, you have a FROG (finished room over garage). I think if you were to sell your house you would list it as a 3 bedroom, not a 2+ bonus. In our old home the bonus room was the only room upstairs that you would have to walk into another bedroom to access a bathroom (no hall baths). Also it was twice the size of the secondary bedrooms. It did have three closets.
kewldude, are you talking about a downstairs guest suite (not a downstairs master)? We desperately miss ours because my mother has horrible knees and I liked our visitors not being upstairs so they didn't have to listen to the children. If I had to choose between the two I'd probably prefer the bonus room though because it would get more use.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 31,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

A closet will make a bonus room a bed room....at least that's what I've always heard.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 PM

208 posts, read 634,198 times
5 bedrooms in 2900 sq. ft. sounds rather cramped. What are the room dimensions??

Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

lln
lol...I tell that to people all the time...first floor master is the way to go..

Old 01-02-2009, 02:43 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,703,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
lol...I tell that to people all the time...first floor master is the way to go..
I'm guessing the OP was talking about a secondary bedroom downstairs, not the master, but hopefully he'll chime in soon.

I wouldn't do a downstairs master with a young family. My first child didn't sleep through the night until she was almost 12 months old. Running up and down stairs half awake in the middle of the night would not be my cup of tea. My husband is also super fire conscientous (he lost a sibling to a fire as a child) and he feels like having the children on the same floor when they're young is safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary