Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:20 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,093,326 times

Advertisements

I got this thread from one of the other forums. I thought it would be fun to start it here.
The purpose of this thread is to ask the following questions:

For those who moved to Raleigh from somewhere else, could you please answer some of these and also add your own tidbits as well.

1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Raleigh?

2. What was the most important reason you moved to Raleigh?

3. What made you pick the area you moved?

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move?

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC?

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from?

7. Would you recommend others move to Raleigh?

Many of us want and are looking to move to Raleigh and who better to ask them those who have done what we want, move from somewhere else to Raleigh then you guys.

Many posters on this board seem to be extremely happy with moving here, whether they moved 10 years ago or 6 months ago.

If you have any opinions/advise on anyone moving to Raleigh, what would they be?

Input appreciated !

Please feel free to add your own info.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,612,525 times
1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Raleigh? Dallas TX. 2 years

2. What was the most important reason you moved to Raleigh? Change of scenery.

3. What made you pick the area you moved? Do you mean what made us move to the Triangle area from Dallas, or what made us pick southern Wake county to buy a house over all other places in the Triangle?

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move? I don't think that we were comfortable until my wife found a job, which took 9 months.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC? I'd still do it again, but maybe I would try harder to convince my wife that she needed to look for a job BEFORE we moved.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from? About the same. We both like Raleigh better than Dallas, but my wife left her whole family back in Dallas. I like my job here better, but my wife likes her job less. We have a nicer house, but it cost 2X what our house in Dallas cost. Property taxes are lower here, but there was no state income tax in TX. It's a wash.

7. Would you recommend others move to Raleigh? Only if they do it for the right reasons.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:57 PM

551 posts, read 576,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I got this thread from one of the other forums. I thought it would be fun to start it here.
The purpose of this thread is to ask the following questions:

For those who moved to Cary from somewhere else, could you please answer some of these and also add your own tidbits as well.

1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Cary?
I moved from MA to Durham for 2 years and then to Cary for 1 year. Staying in Cary until I die.

Quote:
2. What was the most important reason you moved to Cary?
Quality of Life

Quote:
The great amenities already here and to come at High House & Davis. It is absolutely awesome.

Quote:
2.5 seconds

Quote:
5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC?
I found the perfect place. I would do it again 100 out of 100 times.

Quote:
6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Cary then where you moved from?
It is night and day better. Every single aspect of life has gotten dramatically better and I already had a pretty good life.

Quote:
7. Would you recommend others move to Cary?
NO! I would only recommend it to people looking for the following:
  • A beautiful town
  • Great people
  • A ton of activities
  • Great dining
  • Great shopping
  • Great location
  • Wide variety of home styles and colors
  • Lots of nature
  • Lots of bike/walking trails
  • Lots of great parks
  • Great schools
  • Itsy bitsy property taxes
  • Well planned growth
  • Highly educated people
Quote:
Many of us want and are looking to move to Cary and who better to ask them those who have done what we want, move from somewhere else to Cary then you guys.

Many posters on this board seem to be extremely happy with moving here, whether they moved 10 years ago or 6 months ago.

If you have any opinions/advise on anyone moving to Cary, what would they be?

Input appreciated !

Please feel free to add your own info.

Have fun!
Don't listen to anti Cary people, as I have found that everything they have said was not actually the case. Come see for yourself. Take at least a week to learn Cary and all it has to offer and you too will fall in love and never want to leave.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:48 PM

18 posts, read 78,773 times
Hi Beckycat,

Your post is inspiring! We (me and my husband) are contemplating a move to the area...from New Mexico. Do you know of any other New Mexicans who moved there and how they have adjusted? In researching areas, Raleigh/Durham area is great for us...I just know that we are from a very different part of the country (world).

I am a social worker looking for quality of life (fits the area values) and work in the mental health field...which also seems to abound in the area.

What's it like in the winter there? Does it snow? How warm/cold is it? I would like your perception.

Thank you

Old 07-22-2008, 01:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,364 times
Came from Southern NJ. Been in the Raleigh area 1 year

$$$$$ Cheaper here than in Jersey. Also, we just wanted something different. We were both born/raised in the same small town in Jersey and have always wanted to move somewhere else just for change.

Besides the cost of living being less......the proximity to I-95 for traveling back to Jersey to visit...the proximity to the coast(closer than Charlotte), teaching jobs available, compared to Jersey(I'm a teacher) and the climate.

About 6 months

We would still move...here. However if money were not an issue we would probably move closer to the coastline.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from?
About the same in many respects...better as far as climate and atmosphere/crime.

FOR SURE!

Many of us want and are looking to move to Raleigh and who better to ask them those who have done what we want, move from somewhere else to Raleigh then you guys.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,767 times

Left MA for Cary NC in Nov 2007

Job transfer with a GREAT relocation package We were tired of the long winters/short summers, DH's 90 mile daily commute. We wanted a change of scenery.

Being able to afford a really nice home close to Dh's work. Family orientated area, great schools, you name it

I was comfortable with it from the beginning. My first 2 months in the area werent too wonderful. We lived in a furnished corporate apartment while househunting. Its tough being in an apartment with 2 small kids and a dog if you are used to owning your own home (it was a really nice modern apartment, lotsa things for little kids to get in to/ destroy ) Once we closed/moved into our new home everything falled into place.

In a heartbeat

Definately. My dh's commute is 1/3 of what it used to be. Financially we are better off (lower utility, insurance, property tax etc) although the cost of living in the area is not as cheap as some ppl believe. The ppl are friendly and the weather is nice.

Absolutely! We are very happy here!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,063,659 times
I'm in Durham rather than Raleigh, but I'll address your questions, too.

I'm originally from Oklahoma & my husband is from England. We moved to the Triangle from Tulsa, Oklahoma a little more than 2 years ago.

My husband was offered a job here.

Mr. Steel really liked the company here that offered him the job. Other companies in other parts of the country courted him, but they left a bad taste in his mouth. His gut told him to go with the company in the Triangle, so that's what we did.
We rented a house in Hillsborough for our first year here. We ended up buying a house in southern Durham because it's close to Mr. Steel's job & tons of other conveniences. We found a neighborhood we loved much more than all of the others we'd seen & a house we loved that was in our price range.

This is the hardest question for me. I don't know how to answer it. Most of the time I feel perfectly comfortable & always have been. Sometimes I'm still not comfortable because I miss family and old friends. Also I was extremely active in the community in my old town. I was a fairly large fish in that pond. I'm a small little minow now, but I'm starting to like that, too. I've enjoyed exploring all of the new places, but sometimes I miss the old familiar things. I've made new friends, but they can't compare to what I have with my old group. Stuff like that.

Yes, we would do it all over again. No doubt. As I said, we came here for the job. Anything else has been pure gravy. I don't regret the decision.

Well, it's better because my husband is employed now! Mr. Steel was only in Tulsa because of me. We stayed there until his greencard arrived & he could finally start looking for a job. He works in a very specialized field and there were no opportunities for him in Tulsa, so he had to look further afield.

If there had been career opportunities for my husband in Tulsa, we definitely would have stayed. The quality of life there is great. Everything costs less there, too, from housing to gas to food. The people are friendly and fun & there's plenty to do. I have a lot of friends who've moved away from Tulsa in search of something new & different, but one by one they keep moving back to Tulsa because it's a great place to be. I doubt we'll be one of them, though, because of Mr. Steel's career. In the future his career will probably take us many other places, too. We already have our eyes on some companies in Canada & England. You never know where life will take you!

If you have a job lined up, yes. Bonus points if you've visited here before & it felt right to you. Without a job? Well, thta depends on a person's career, but I'd be more likely to expand my search & see if I can land a job in another area.

I think the Triangle is nice, but I think lots of other places are nice, too. We all have different definitions of "nice" which confuses the issue even more. Just like everywhere else, this place can be a heaven or a hell, depending on your personal situation and outlook on life.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,431,756 times
For those who moved to Raleigh from somewhere else, could you please answer some of these and also add your own tidbits as well.

1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Raleigh? From RI to Cary 3 1/2 months ago.

2. What was the most important reason you moved to Raleigh? Less harsh winters, less costly real estate. Cary isn't inexpensive but we got alot more for the same money.

3. What made you pick the area you moved? The Triangle is progressive, growing with great job opportunities for us in healthcare

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move? pretty much immediately. This move was by choice, not necessity. We loved it from the start.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC? Absolutley

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from? Our quality of life was good in RI, it is also good here. Living is "easy here", less frenetic, more relaxed lifestyle.

7. Would you recommend others move to Raleigh? Certainly.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,818,233 times
Quote:
Fairfield, County, CT-here since May 2003
Deteriorating quality of life and unreasonable Real Estate prices in CT drove us here
[color="Navy"]Gut Feeling /COLOR]
A couple of months
Yes we would still have moved-we wish we had done so sooner! We have moved once (within the town of Cary) since relocating, but after investigating the rest of the state, we feel that this is the right place for us.
Exponentially Better
A qualified "yes"- you need to be prepared and open to change
If you have any opinions/advise on anyone moving to Raleigh, what would they be?
If you choose to move here, don't leave your heart behind.
There you go.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:26 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,397,783 times
Greenville/Spartanburg area of South Carolina (people move North to RTP?), been here 4 years now

I had just finished up my MS in Computer Science, a good job opportunity came up in RTP. The tech job market back home couldn't compete.

I lived in a North Raleigh apartment, based on recommendations from my hiring manager, for the first 1.5 years. Bought a house in Durham (and not even around Southpoint ) once I learned the area.

Difficult question. All of my family and friends are in SC, and I suspect I will go back at some point. But it's only a 3 hour drive to go back home.

I would. The job experience here is good for my career and the great local schools have afforded me the opportunity to receive an MBA next year.

Again, difficult to answer. Good job, more income, nicer vehicle, larger home vs. more bills, more taxes, more traffic (how many transplants include those last two?), more responsiblities, fewer friends, no family.

Sure. No real problems with the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary