Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:03 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,193,041 times

Advertisements

Great responses! Keep em coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 PM

546 posts, read 1,682,765 times
1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Raleigh?
Massachusetts, and I've been here for 9 months

2. What was the most important reason you moved to Raleigh?
Quality of life

3. What made you pick the area you moved?
We came down twice to get a good idea of the area. We ended up in Apex, renting a town home so we could really get to know the area before purchasing a house. When we buy next, I want it to be until my kids leave for college. This town home was the best we saw when looking at rentals. And the neighborhood is perfect.

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move?
While there are still a couple things I miss back north, I acclimated within a month of moving down. I was lucky though, as I already had a friend down here, and I networked before I came down so I had people I was already starting to know before the actual move.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC?
I would have moved years ago if I knew what I know now! And I would chose Apex again and again.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from? Much, much better. While the COL is close, the quality is so much better.

7. Would you recommend others move to Raleigh?
Only if they are moving for the right reasons and do their homework first.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:01 PM

28 posts, read 100,608 times
[quote=beckycat;4548547]I got this thread from one of the other forums. I thought it would be fun to start it here.
The purpose of this thread is to ask the following questions:

For those who moved to Raleigh from somewhere else, could you please answer some of these and also add your own tidbits as well.

Bay Area - Cary for 4 days :P

Cheaper Housing

Great neighborhood

can't answer the question now

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC?
----

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from?
so far we don't have any problem here.

maybe

Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 AM

237 posts, read 758,494 times
3 weeks.

Our children's higher education. We have 2 boys entering middle and high school this year. Our older son likes NC colleges and it made sense to do this now.

Great neighborhood, our son picked our home out by chance driving by after we had looked at 50 others.

It's a bit premature to answer this now. I find that people say hello at times, but overall, pretty much stick to themselves, not that this is always a bad thing. At our pool, no one goes out of their way to say hello or introduce themselves. I am hoping to meet more people when the boys start school.

I have believed in my heart ever since we made this decision that it will ultimately be the right choice. We knew why we were doing this and are committed to making it work, therefore it will.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from?
We lived in rural upstate N.Y. This is definitely better for all of us.

Each family needs to do their own soul searching for why they are considering moving here in the first place. If there are more positives than negatives, then once the decision is made be ready to do whatever it takes to make it work. Be ready to give it time. Most of us coming from other areas lived there a decent amount of time. For us it was 17 years. You can't expect this to feel like home in two months.
However, with all there is to do here, you can keep busy all the time while the transition is taking place. Time can pass quickly.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 AM

488 posts, read 1,558,026 times
1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Raleigh? We came from Charleston, SC 6 years ago.

2. What was the most important reason you moved to Raleigh? We wanted to raise our children in a different environment than Charleston.

3. What made you pick the area you moved? We moved to CAry for the first year because everyone told us that was where we should moved. We moved to Wake Forest after that because it was more us.

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move? 6 months.
5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC? We would have still moved to the area. I do wish that we would have looked into Chapel Hill more. That's my only regret.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from? Better, though we do miss the beach sometimes.

7. Would you recommend others move to Raleigh? If they can find what they are looking for here. It's not for everyone but we love it here.

Last edited by NCBoyMommy; 07-23-2008 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 AM

767 posts, read 1,852,349 times
1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Raleigh? We came from Garden Grove in So Cal a little over 3 yrs ago.

2. What was the most important reason you moved to Raleigh? Quality of life for our kids.

3. What made you pick the area you moved? We knew it would be somewhere in the south, I had interviewed in Lynchburg VA, but was a little too rural, Atlanta was too crowded...we just kept narrowing it down. We had already pick Raleigh, and then I got a job here right before we moved.

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move? Every now and then I still feel a few pangs to see family, but otherwise we were comfortable right away.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC? Yes, in a heartbeat.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from? Better!

7. Would you recommend others move to Raleigh? Absolutely.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 AM

528 posts, read 1,465,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
We moved to CAry for the first year because everyone told us that was where we should moved. We moved to Wake Forest after that because it was more us.

We would have still moved to the area. I do wish that we would have looked into Chapel Hill more. That's my only regret.
NCBoyMommy, what was it about Wake Forest that you liked better than Cary? Also, what is it about Chapel Hill that makes you regret not looking at it more closely?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:57 AM

488 posts, read 1,558,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
NCBoyMommy, what was it about Wake Forest that you liked better than Cary? Also, what is it about Chapel Hill that makes you regret not looking at it more closely?
We found Wake Forest to be a more friendly area, less congested, more space. Cary just felt like "the rat race". Wake Forest is more laidback, slower paced. I don't know it was just a feeling we had when we went from one town to the other. Since we were coming from Charleston as opposed to moving from the north I also just found the atmosphere in Wake Forest to more closely match what we were used to. I guess Wake Forest was just more "Southern" to us.

We originally felt that Chapel Hill was just too expensive so even though we really liked the area we dismissed it pretty quickly. At the time our kids had not started school yet so I didn't fully understand the Wake County school system. Now our kids are in private school and the amount of money that we pay in tuition would have easily offset the higher cost of real estate in Chapel Hill. If we lived in Chapel Hill - Carborro school district we would send our kids to public school.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 9,857 times
Loved all the replies to the multiple questions. We are planning a move from the Gulf Coast to NC, but haven't decided between Raleigh and Winston Salem area. We will be retiring soon (mid 50's), and would like to know what people would consider a good area to retire and become in involved in the community. Our daughter and her husband will be moving to the Raleigh/Cary area when he finishes medical school next year, so we don't want to be too far (maybe an hour away).

Old 07-26-2008, 06:54 PM

331 posts, read 1,313,511 times
Default Our Move

We moved from the San Francisco Bay Area and have been here 5 weeks.

Quality of life here, especially for my daughter, no more $500 electric bills, four seasons

We started looking at different areas of the country about 3 years ago and based on weather, cost of living, quality of life, picked Raleigh.

I am still settling in and getting used to this big sprawled out town but love it so far. I do miss my friends and my family but we talk on the phone A LOT.

Absolutely!

So much better already!

I already have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary