Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 06:46 AM

21 posts, read 154,356 times

Advertisements

Are all elementary and middle schools in Wake County going to year-round calendar? And, is it mandatory or can you choose between year-round or traditional calendar? Is it like a lottery? Is it only in Wake County or in all of the Raleigh area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 06:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I would love it if someone could point me to a website that explains how year round schooling works. I don't have children nor do I have an opinion on the issues one way or the other, but I have never heard a clear expalnation on how year round solves the overcrowding issue. How does going to school year round creat more space in the school? If someone could explain this I would greatly appreciate it as I would love to understadn this issue better.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,606 times
jsantig - all schools are not going year round in Wake County. At least, not yet. You can check specific schools at www.wcpss.net. Depending upon where you live, you may have the choice between a traditional and a year round school, in which case, you would apply to your year-round school kind of like a lottery. Some of the areas that have experienced very rapid growth have converted the schools to mandatory year round, and in those cases, you don't have a choice. You can check a particular address at the wcpss.net.

Year round school eases overcrowding by dividing the students into 4 separate tracks. These different tracks go to school basically 9 weeks in, 3 weeks out, so at any given time, 1/4 of the students are not in school. Each time a group "tracks back in", they move in to the classrooms occupied by the students tracking out, so the school has a higher capacity. Here's a link to the calendar, where the tracks are color coded:
http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2006-07/06-07-year-round.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,761 times
Nope not all the schools. Two of mine will be in middle school by next year which will be traditional while my youngest will be year round which just quite simply stinks!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,981 times
From what I understand, if your base school is year round, you can apply to a traditional schoool that is in your "node", if you look up your address on the wake county public school website, and look at your student assignment, then you will be given your base school and your "option" school.......

I could be wrong about this, but I thought since they are changing so many elementary schools (and fewer middle schools) to year round that parents would have the option of applying to a traditional calendar school if their base was year round, and vice versa.

Regardless, it does make it difficult when you have kids on different calendars!

Leigh

Old 01-18-2007, 03:23 PM

198 posts, read 910,248 times
We've had year round schooling here in Indianapolis for awhile. My son attends school beginning in August, based on trimesters rather than semesters. I belive the schools in NC have different 'tracks' within a school so that all students arent there at the same time. Here, we just have all year round schools and the option to go to a traditional calendar school. I actually like the year round, more frequent breaks, less teacher burnout (I'm a parent of a kindergartener and a teacher myself) although it can be harsh a parents work schedule in arranging care for kids during the breaks. Most of the time though, the school will have camps or activities or direct you to sponsors who can still provide enrichment over breaks. I would check the wcpss.net site because there is a FAQ's on year round schooling in NC. If you dont see it, PM me and I will send it to you as an attachment.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach07 View Post
We've had year round schooling here in Indianapolis for awhile. My son attends school beginning in August, based on trimesters rather than semesters. I belive the schools in NC have different 'tracks' within a school so that all students arent there at the same time. Here, we just have all year round schools and the option to go to a traditional calendar school. I actually like the year round, more frequent breaks, less teacher burnout (I'm a parent of a kindergartener and a teacher myself) although it can be harsh a parents work schedule in arranging care for kids during the breaks. Most of the time though, the school will have camps or activities or direct you to sponsors who can still provide enrichment over breaks. I would check the wcpss.net site because there is a FAQ's on year round schooling in NC. If you dont see it, PM me and I will send it to you as an attachment.
There are tons of track out camps and things to do while the kids are out...and I am sure there will be even more as more schools go year-around.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but thank you to all who helped explain how year round schools increase capacity. As a person who is not yet a parent I never understood how it worked, but now it is starting to make some sense. Sounds like there are pros and cons to both sides. Glad I don't have to worry about it for now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary