Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,739,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Those 20-year old houses are not sitting empty. As long as this area keeps growing, the new folks have to have somewhere to live. New homes have to built.
If only it were possible to accommodate more people in less space... Nope, I guess everyone needs their half acre!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,226,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
If only it were possible to accommodate more people in less space... Nope, I guess everyone needs their half acre!
Multi-family living is the answer. Combine that with rail and you have something.

The trend to housing in RTP is a good idea too.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,801,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post

That stuff still does not exist on any massive scale, so you'd have to build it somewhere. And then watch as people avoid it and live elsewhere.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,739,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
That stuff still does not exist on any massive scale, so you'd have to build it somewhere. And then watch as people avoid it and live elsewhere.
The densely populated, urban, multifamily areas are so expensive and crowded, no one wants to live there anymore!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,098,175 times
i'd rather a toll road near my kids school than my house. do you think there are any chances of them putting up those concrete walls like the did along rt 1 in cary? they'd have to do something to ensure safety around a school.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:46 PM

754 posts, read 1,697,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Take a look at the map on page 14 of this document:

http://www.ncturnpike.org/pdf/Client...venueStudy.pdf

The toll booths are marked with black rectangles. I see 4 major toll booths (the kind that stretch over the entire road) and 3 exit/entrance ramp toll booths along the 18 mile length from NC 54 down to the NC 55 bypass in Holly Springs.
Thank you. I looked at the map NC Turnpike Authority and thought they were adding a toll to go on 540 from 54 to 40.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,731,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Thank you. I looked at the map NC Turnpike Authority and thought they were adding a toll to go on 540 from 54 to 40.
As did I.

I looked back through that document and noted that this will be a cashless toll road (which I already knew). That should (hopefully) assuage concerns about traffic backups during peak times.

I also like that NCTA realizes that they won't be able to collect tolls from everybody due to technical limitations. So unless traffic projections are majorly exceeded, they won't lose money that way since it's already accounted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary