Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 6,172 times

Advertisements

From what I've heard West Cary has seen a lot of growth recently.

Do you think that the addition of 540 down through West Cary will lead to rapid development along the route? I know that when 540 extended out North Raleigh really had a surge in growth, in areas like Wake Forest, etc.

I was wondering if you all thought this would happen in West Cary- I'd prefer not to turn it into a toll vs no toll discussion. My experience growing up in a state with tolls is that over time people will take whatever route saves them the most time-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Look at the explosion along 64 towards Pittsboro, and you have your answer.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Ever since they started 540, it was pretty obvious where it was going to go. That area has been developing for over a decade. You can look at the Town of Cary website and get a feel for how it will continue to develop with things major developments like the Alston Activity Center and Parkside, roads and greenways. Some good smart growth going on. The boundary of Jordan Lake will limit how much things sprawl westward.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Yeah I think the big winners will be Chatham County, Durham County (Especially points close to 147), Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina. Cary/Apex will also benefit, but the deals will be in other areas.

This may have a negative effect of the booming downtown areas of Cary and Apex though as people opt to live in the boonies.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:56 PM

Location: Splitting time between Charlotte and Raleigh (work)
61 posts, read 71,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Some good smart growth going on.
My thought exactly. It's very smart to expand access and growth outward from the already crowded areas. Lots of winners once it is built. This is why the government encourages rural growth through its lending programs. The last thing we need is to focus all the energy on increasing population in already crowded and stressed urban areas.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Just a friendly reminder of what smart growth is.

Smart growth:
"An urban planning and transportation theory that concentrates growth in the center of a city to avoid urban sprawl; and advocates compact, transit-oriented, walkable, bicycle-friendly land use, including neighborhood schools, complete streets, and mixed-use development with a range of housing choices."

Old 08-04-2009, 07:21 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
The argument could be made that the explosive growth preceded the Triangle Expressway.
Cary Park
Amberly
Weldon Ridge
Highcroft/Highcroft Village
Cameron Pond
Weycroft
Horton's Creek
Stonewater
Hilliard Forest
Greystone
Copperleaf
Green Level Crossing
There's a few THOUSAND homes that didn't exist 10 years ago.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:24 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
The argument could be made that the explosive growth preceded the Triangle Expressway.
Cary Park
Amberly
Weldon Ridge
Highcroft/Highcroft Village
Cameron Pond
Weycroft
Horton's Creek
Stonewater
Hilliard Forest
Greystone
Copperleaf
Green Level Crossing
There's a few THOUSAND homes that didn't exist 10 years ago.
Chicken and the egg.
The housing demand existed and grew, but the developments were certainly planned along the proposed 540 corridor.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,172 times
The growth at this point has gone westward but 55 seems to be the outer limit of most residential growth (with the exception of cary park area). A more specific question I have is do you think the growth will now extend westward past the 'boundary' of 55...in areas west of 55/High House intersection, etc-

I am unfamiliar with the area so I apologize if this is vague. I'm thinking of opening a business in the area- I'm looking at the intersection of 55/High House vs a little more north toward carpenter- health care for kids btw-

Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve11 View Post
The growth at this point has gone westward but 55 seems to be the outer limit of most residential growth (with the exception of cary park area). A more specific question I have is do you think the growth will now extend westward past the 'boundary' of 55...in areas west of 55/High House intersection, etc-

I am unfamiliar with the area so I apologize if this is vague. I'm thinking of opening a business in the area- I'm looking at the intersection of 55/High House vs a little more north toward carpenter- health care for kids btw-

I would think you are in equally good position in either area.

People will drive that extra mile or 2 for great care for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary