Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 PM

56 posts, read 163,603 times

Advertisements

Hi
I know there are a lot of threads here, and I promise I read and read and read, but I couldn't find all my answers so I'm posting a new thread.

I'm a single female and I am visiting the Raleigh area to see if it is a place for me to live. My family all live within 8 hours away from the Triangle, and right now I live on the West coast, and I miss them.

If I do move, I'd like to be in a really safe neighborhood, but also where I can walk a bit maybe even to a coffee shop or something. I'm fairly outgoing, but have lived in dangerous cities enough times to be a little afraid of being alone in a new place.

Does anyone have any advice about what area might be a good launching pad to see the area from? I'll be there about 5 or 6 days. I'm probably most interested in living in Raleigh and not Durham or CH. I like activity and a bit of nightlife but not any drunken bars or anything like that. Thanks so much for any input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Enjoy your visit!

I would suggest staying perhaps at the Crabtree Valley Mall area which is in a very safe area of North Raleigh. Anywhere around Glenwood Ave. from Highway 50 (Creedmoor Road) towards downtown Raleigh is a good area.

There is a Marriott right across from the mall on that corner which would be a good starting point for any direction you may want to travel. It's a little congested in that area traffic-wise, though, but not like Chicago or NYC or anything.

I'm sure there are other very nice areas that are safe but this is the one I'm familiar with. I also ventured to NC on my own a couple of times and felt perfectly safe about traveling solo.

Best,
toodie

Old 05-29-2008, 03:12 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
North Hills if it fits your budget.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 35,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysunnyside View Post
Hi
I know there are a lot of threads here, and I promise I read and read and read, but I couldn't find all my answers so I'm posting a new thread.

I'm a single female and I am visiting the Raleigh area to see if it is a place for me to live. My family all live within 8 hours away from the Triangle, and right now I live on the West coast, and I miss them.

If I do move, I'd like to be in a really safe neighborhood, but also where I can walk a bit maybe even to a coffee shop or something. I'm fairly outgoing, but have lived in dangerous cities enough times to be a little afraid of being alone in a new place.

Does anyone have any advice about what area might be a good launching pad to see the area from? I'll be there about 5 or 6 days. I'm probably most interested in living in Raleigh and not Durham or CH. I like activity and a bit of nightlife but not any drunken bars or anything like that. Thanks so much for any input!
+1. I also recommend the Crabtree valley area. I live in this area, and it is very safe and nice neighborhood. The traffic can be a bit much, but its nothing compared to NJ/NYC, LA, or Chicago traffic.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 PM

920 posts, read 2,814,348 times
You might look at the Cameron Village and Five Points areas near downtown Raleigh. If you're looking for a safe and charming place to stay while you're visiting, I can recommend the Cameron Park Inn.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 PM

56 posts, read 163,603 times
Thanks everyone, these suggestions are soo helpful. My mom was going to come with me, but she has to babysit my niece and nephew. I am going to look into these areas and see where I might be able to stay. You all are so nice, I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary