Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Air

150 posts, read 537,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
...here in Cary where the commercials are about 30% louder than the regular TV programming? I'm constantly having to adjust the volume. Anyone else experience this with TWC in Cary or is it my TV?
Why don't you try the television off air and see if there is a difference? To be honest, I didn't notice loud commercials using an antenna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 04:11 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
TWC even gave me a free month of service because the HD DVR is so buggy.

My son had the same issue and changed to the HD box w/o DVR. Much more reliable.

According to TWC tech support, the middleware in the box is awful and has been updated several times at night but still can be very prone to crashes requiring a long power-off reboot.

If you have the HD DVR and no issues, consider yourself most fortunate.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:54 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
TWC even gave me a free month of service because the HD DVR is so buggy.

My son had the same issue and changed to the HD box w/o DVR. Much more reliable.

According to TWC tech support, the middleware in the box is awful and has been updated several times at night but still can be very prone to crashes requiring a long power-off reboot.

If you have the HD DVR and no issues, consider yourself most fortunate.
Well we are po'folks and just have the normal DVR no HD here!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:54 PM

13 posts, read 35,690 times
The guy who invented TIVO ( DVR ) should get a Nobel peace prize !!! hehehe

I can't watch regular TV anymore, as I never EVER will be annoyed by the moronic pollution ( advertisement) that has taken over programs.

Now , I never watch live TV, it is always recorded then fast forwarded when the junk comes on

Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 PM

13 posts, read 35,690 times
Incidentally, satellite sytems also offer DVRs. Those are very reliable ( mine is 3 years old without a problem )

Old 05-27-2008, 12:48 AM

505 posts, read 2,542,367 times
You have it all wrong. It is mostly Cable TV.

With dish network, all the commercials are at the same audio level. I know this because my parents have cable in F-V and their audio level does the same things you all mention when commercials come on. I have told them and told them how much better dish network and directv are...but they will not listen.

Cable tv claims to be fiber.....but they are NOT! 90 plus percent of their system is still running on old technology. Cable charges way more for programming, if anyone would just take the time to check they would see that. Has anyone ever noticed how crappy their digital channels look on big screen TV's? If you have a dish all the channels and audio are the same. For example, with TWC in Raleigh area, put your tv on MTV2, then flip to FUSE....you will notice a HUGE difference in audio levels...and these channels are right beside each other.

I understand cable has the best phone and internet service....but you will get more channels and pay less by going with dish network or directv...and a crap load more HDTV channels. (thats even while paying cable internet and phone bills)

But for some reason people don't see this...it's a fact!

I do not work for Dish Network...just a satisfied customer! Who has exp with both!

I also had the common sense to go to all the different websites and compare prices!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
We get our TV with a digital converter box over the air and don't have that problem with the volume being louder for commercials. If you can, I'd compare the broadcast over the air vs via cable.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:36 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
You have it all wrong. It is mostly Cable TV.
We have direct tv, and commercial volume is noticeably higher.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:39 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,066 times
We exchanged out our HD DVR twice before getting the one now that works but it works like a charm and never has a problem. Once it stopped recording a few things but it turned out it just needed a software update that Time Warner just sent down the line in a few minutes. I LOVE MY DVR. As for service, you do have to have digital cable but I think that's all.
With repect to commercials, I find it more noticable on HD programming.
While I appreciate the satellite is cheaper there are some problems. 1: You need a contract. 2: If you want to upgrade your equipment you have to pay full price (a lot for a DVR upgrade). 3: If it rains heavily the picture is affected (not just a myth, our friends in Florida had constant problems with this in the Summer). 4: Depending on where you have to position the dish, it can detract from the look of a house.
Just my opinion on satellite. I had a friend who moved house, there were trees at the new house that would interfere with the satellite signal so the installer could not transfer it, yet they were forced to pay a cancellation fee. Ridiculous!
Of course, some people are happy with their satellite and that's great. If one things pleased everybody there would not be so many options.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,060 times
Commercials are louder because of Dynamic Range Compression. Look it up on Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary